Cracked 5s Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rallymonkey15, Jan 7, 2014.

1. rallymonkey15 macrumors newbie

Have the 64g 5s and I committed a drop that cracked the screen. It has one of the new Apple cases on it, so I was a bit upset that the lip wasn't near enough to stop what was about a 3 foot drop. Phone still works just fine and I have a clear cover on it now to keep the shards from falling out.

This actually happened back in early November and I haven't found a single place that repairs them yet.

I don't have Applecare as I felt it was ridiculous to pay 100 bucks a year and then pay more each time you had an issue...so I banked on not breaking it and I lost.

Do I have any options outside of sticking with a phone with a shattered screen until they release replacement parts? I cannot beleive they aren't available yet?!?

2. m3nphls macrumors member

3. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

$269 is correct

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is your best bet in my opinion.

5. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Go into Apple! My gf had her screen replaced for free, as it was a hairline crack. You not be as lucky, but worth a try... Don't ask for it to be done free, but be prepared to pay. Screen repairs in the uk are £119 replaced by apple.

6. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Apple UK screen repair cost for the iPhone 5 and 5S is £216. Repair cost for iPad Air is £256.

7. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Not what I was quoted in Apple Plymouth just after Xmas. £119 they told me, why would anyone pay £200+ when a whole replacement phone isn't much more, seems daft lol. Either way, apple are the OP's best bet to get it sorted. :)

8. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I would stick it thru the house insurance rather than pay that either. And that was what I was going to do with the iPad Air if Apple hadn't replaced it for free.

9. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Yeah, take it to Apple see what they say... If it's free or discounted then get it done if not, walk out and claim. :)

10. sonicblue83 macrumors member

I don't think Apple will/can fix it. I had a losen glass on my iPhone 5S and wanted them to fix/replace the display. The Genius told me, they can't fix any display damages because of TouchID and therefore he swaped the whole iPhone for a new one.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not anymore in many Apple Stores. You might get your same phone with a fixed screen.

12. Preed08 macrumors regular

Lol not for 269...why charge for a replacement and you're not getting a replacement?

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's not a replacement, it's a repair. The only difference is that in the past, Apple just swapped your device for a "new" one.

Now, to cut costs, Apple will charge you the same and just repair/replace the screen assembly. Cheaper.

14. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

If you used a credit card, the company may cover an accidental drop for 90 days. American Express, Visa Signature and other cards provide this protection.

15. MAvery macrumors newbie

Have you tried looking for an independent repair service? There's a store that specializes in this service in the mall near my house, but I'm not 100% sure if they do 5s' yet.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

And void your warranty?

17. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

It's void at this point

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the OP paid Apple for the screen replacement, his warranty may still be valid. I guess it is kind of a gray area.

19. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

My shop repairs them for 200

Surprised to hear most places aren't doing them still

20. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

A lot of places aren't doing 5s screens as they are a different layout connector wise than before, so it may be down to stock rather than just the inability to do it. If it's under warranty though, Apple every time IMO.

21. G-hog macrumors member

It is a replacement. I just went through it today. Dropped my 5s this morning and shattered the screen. Paid $269 for a replacement phone.

Wanted to add I didn't have AppleCare on my phone.

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Can we get a picture of it i want to see how bad the apple case was because i really like the apple cases.

23. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Buy one on eBay for $135 don't let a repair shop screw you around I have had dozens of replacement screens from eBay and have only had problems with dead pixels on iPhone 4 screens and even then I got them replaced.The repair is really easy,might as well fix it yourself and save the money.To each his own

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In some stores, this is still the case, but in many other flagship stores, the norm is to replace the part.

25. msur001 macrumors newbie

screen literally shattered after dropping it facedown on the cement

my screen is utterly shattered. and I'm worried about cutting myself because every time my finger with a screen I can feel the shattered glass. when I press certain buttons have to press it very hard and sometimes the keyboard doesn't even work i'm thinking about buying one on eBay but it's only $20 should I be suspicious? here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161255329933?redirect=mobile#shId

maybe the site URL won't work on a computer I apologize I only have my phone right now.