Cracked iPad 2 Screen, Genius says no free replacements anymore?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tfreeze, Nov 26, 2011.

1. tfreeze macrumors newbie

So I accidentally flipped an empty cereal bowl onto my iPad 2 after breakfast yesterday (ridiculous, I know), and it cracked the screen in two places. Went to the Apple Store today to see what they could do for me, and they said that ever since they started offering AppleCare+ for the iPhone, they are no longer able to do any free replacements for customers. I know it was completely my fault and will gladly pay to fix it due to that fact, but can anyone confirm this as true? Seems a little weird for Apple to not allow them to do replacements on anything since they only offer the AppleCare+ on the iPhone for now. Thoughts?

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Does it matter? You're not entitled to a free replacement regardless of what the policy really is because the broken screen was your fault, so just pay for the repair.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's weird, they're not in the business of fixing products for free that their customers damaged.

I didn't even know prior to apple care+ they were fixing broken screens for free

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

I think before apple care +. Store managers and employees were at the discretion of waiving the out of warranty repair cost.

So some people took in their cracked screens hoping they would get lucky and have the replacement fees waives.

That's really the crux of this post by the OP.

So it appears apple corp isn't allowing store managers an genius the option anymore.

5. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

the explanation they gave sounds fabricated...they should have just told you the plain truth - that free replacements were always at the discretion of store staff and if the store chooses to say no, then too bad for you.

and stop misrepresenting yourself - if you say that you'd gladly pay for the replacement and it was clearly your fault (which you've acknowledged), then ante up and pay instead of trying to weasel a freebie.

there are some cases where owners have broken their tablets and who were more deserving of a replacement than you. i'd rather see apple being much more selective in their replacements rather than abolishing the practice altogether.

6. TSloper, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2011

TSloper macrumors member

How is he misrepresenting himself? Plenty of people have, through their own negligence, damaged their iDevice and Apple as a courtesy helped them out when they weren't obligated to. He is simply trying to confirm what Apple has historically done in cases similar to this. BTW... what concern is it of yours anyways? It's not coming out of your pocket either way.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

There was mention of this when applecare plus came out, so looks like they are actually sticking by this rule.

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

It's still discretionary, the individual store manager gets the final say on stuff like this. I guess they didn't think your reasoning was good enough. Shoulda bought that AppleCare! I buy it for everything and Apple has always fixed/replaced my broken devices for free, even when the damage was my fault.

9. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

How would AppleCare have made a difference? The damage was entirely the owner's fault.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes, my friend paid ~$160 to get a replacement white iPhone 4 last week due to a cracked screen, despite it being the first time and it being under warranty.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

Crack screen 99% of the time immediately voids any warranty because it is not covered.

12. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Can't you read?

AppleCare matters because the choice to fix/replace your item at no charge is discretionary, as I said. It's up to the individual Genius who helps you (and the store manager, of course). Technically AppleCare doesn't cover things like cracked screens, but in practice it varies from store to store. If you have AppleCare and honestly represent your situation when you see the Genius, they might just help you out. They have for me multiple times.

There's a reason they ask for your Apple ID. They go back into their little wizard lair and run your info. When they run mine a bunch of AppleCares for like 7 different items pop up (lol). They've always helped me out. I've had several different iPhone screens replaced for free.

13. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

I can read, thanks.

Why does it matter? If it's discretionary, then the genius has the option to repair/replace the screen regardless of whether or not the owner bought AppleCare. The bottom line is, this is a non-warranty repair no matter how you want to spin it, so whether the iPad is covered under the standard warranty, AppleCare, or is out of warranty, it shouldn't matter.

Now, if you want to claim that having AppleCare will influence a genius towards replacing a screen for free, I'd like to see proof of that - because you haven't provided any. In the end it's still just a gamble.

14. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Obviously that's exactly what I'm saying. Of course I don't have proof, it's not like they'd put something like that in writing. The bottom line is most repairs aren't free, and I've had several full replacements after bringing in shattered iPhones and bluntly telling the Genius that I dropped them. I doubt I'm just that lucky.

15. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Isn't it plausible that you may just be lucky? There is no way to say for sure whether or not have AppleCare made a difference in your situation, so the bottom line is, it's a crapshoot. I for one wouldn't recommend buying AppleCare just on the off chance that it may score you a free non-warranty replacement or repair, but that's just me.

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

The real question is what happens NOW that apple started their AppleCare plus plans in October 2011?

The OP is asking has anyone accidentally cracked a glass and gotten the fees waived.

So are genius/store managers still using their discretionary options after Ocotber 2011.

17. snebes macrumors 6502a

I can confirm that my screen didn't get replaced, either. I told the genius that I dropped my iPad2 today (shattered corner, cracked screen), and he bluntly didn't care. I didn't argue--it was my fault, but Apple has been courteous in the past, and done stuff like this. Never for me, though.

Too bad too,..Apple won't lose me as a customer, but if the genius even bothered opening up my apple id, he could have seen a dozen or so devices associated to it, and possibly offered the replacement as good-will, if there is such a thing in Apple's playbook.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Oh, there is and has been plenty of good-will in Apples playbook, and lots of being taken advantage of as well.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I crashed my Vette into a light pole today. Just a little damage, not much. I'm going to the dealer to see if they'll give me a new one... :rolleyes:

20. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Or maybe you can just make a claim with your insurance company. I wonder if AppleCare+ will find it ways to the iPad line soon.

21. Poopsteak macrumors newbie

Really?

That's just stupid. The iPad has cheap glass, not tempered. A device this size is going to get dropped, it's shaped like a book. You'd think at the premium Apple charges, they could use better materials. I like my iPad but the screen feels cheap compared to the Tab and Kindle Fire. Apple should replace the substandard screen at no cost.

22. brand macrumors 601

brand

That's just stupid.

23. ninerfan macrumors regular

I guess this is why I have Square Trade. So worth the peace of mind in case my screen ever comes in contact with a cereal bowl, or my dog's paw, or or or or ...

24. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Why on earth did you dig this thread up to say some crap. This thread was dead and happily decomposing and you pull out your shovel and dig it up slap your lips to it and try to blow life into it ............ Wtf :confused:

25. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Have they EVER offered to fix accidental damages? I was under the impression that apple only covered hardware/software malfunctions.