Cracked MBA Screen. Not sure how it happened?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JasonDawg18, Jul 9, 2011.

1. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

Hi all,

I have a 2010 MacBook Air. Yesterday, we noticed a hairline crack in the middle. We're not sure how it happened. Nothing dropped on it. No misuse. We never dropped it. It just appeared.

I called to get an estimate for replacement. It came back at around $600. Do I have any recourse with Apple?

Also, I purchased the computer in December with a Bank of America Visa card. Do you know if they offer any protection, like i've read that AmEx does?

Thanks in advance!

2. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

One of my friends cracked her screen when she picked it up by the top edge, the MBA screens seem fairly fragile compared to the MBP ones.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would go to the Apple Store and explain the situation. No way I would pay a buck for that thing to get fixed.

4. Monkeychemist macrumors member

with Apple, if you escalate the call higher and higher up, you'll eventually get the repair free

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Right, because LCDs just crack on their own.

6. imahawki macrumors 6502a

No one said it cracked on its own but if it cracked under NORMAL USE, that is still considered a defect. If you're typing on your keyboard and one of the keys breaks off and the underlying mechanism is all broken, it didn't break on its own but its also not your fault (lets assume the keyboard is less than a year old and has been used normally that entire time).

7. JasonDawg18 thread starter macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

I'm really not exaggerating. We have no idea how it cracked. No foul play.

Do you guys suggest I go into a store or call the Apple Repair phone line?

8. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Call Apple and explain your situation, they will make a note and schedule an appointment with a Genius at your nearest Apple Store (assuming you have a local Apple Store).

Applecare coverage can also be handled by third party stores (authorized partners) - which might be an option for you if no Apple store is convenient.

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear that. I'm looking at the MBA and I hope it's not that fragile. I would primarily use it for home use and hardly ever take it out of the house. I know the wife wants a MBA, but hope she doesn't damage it.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I think if you explain what happened, it is just a hairline crack and there is no signs of any damage to the machine there is a good chance that you will get it replaced for free.

11. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

How ironic. Mine did the exact dame thing literally right before my eyes this morning. I keep the entire laptop very clean, so it's very obvious if something happens. Just after I opened my 13" I saw a crack in the center of the display. Moments later it grew larger to a length of approx 3".

I drove the 2 miles to the Apple store & before I got two sentences out, they put a new one on the counter in mere minutes I was gone.

12. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I cracked a screen before....it was a MBP though and it was cause my kid stepped on it while I unfortunately left it on the floor next to the couch....I paid $500 for the screen but was reimbursed $800 by AMEX insurance since I bought it on my card, so I actually made $300

13. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Wow!! Talk about service! How old was your MBA when you had it serviced? Did they give you a new screen or a whole new MBA?

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Take it to apple store and ask for a replacement. Tell them everything and ask them very nicely. They should replace it. 600 dollars is just plain outrageous.

15. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Did you have Apple Care or was this under the standard 1-year warranty?

16. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Sorry to hear your bad news. I would be disgusted. Hopefully you will be able to get replaced for free. Good luck.

17. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Wouldn't they ask you how much it cost for the repair? I don't see why they would give you $800 unless you lied and said it cost that much. Seems like they would want a receipt of the repair too.

18. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I think they have standard costs in the system, I claimed the insurance on the front end, then got the screen repaired. I guess its like car insurance, they see whats wrong then they pay you whatever its assumed cost is, if you fix it yourself, you can keep that payout.

19. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I think (I'm just guessing) that the reason that all of these MBA's are cracking is because the glass panels that they use have structural defects that don't show immediately, but show after a fair bit of use.

20. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I was going to say the same- you could have it repaired if you bought it with an Amex card. Heck- I dropped my son’s iPod Touch and cracked the screen and I claimed it and was reimbursed the full amount. In two days. Amex is great.

21. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Which amex card? do you have to do anything special? i have an amex platinum I'm kind of tired of having to pay the hugh fees every year and don't really use any of the benefits lol

22. palpatine macrumors 68040

it sounds to me like something you could get repaired for free because you are within the one year applecare period and they will not be able to find any evidence of mishandling (a shoe footprint on the lid, for example). as someone already said, escalate the claim if necessary. i would go into the store, if possible, because i prefer to talk these things out with human beings face to face. but, if that is not an option, give a call. it can't hurt.

23. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

AMEX doubles the warranty, doesn't matter which AMEX it is.

24. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Unless you have the black card, then this is incorrect. For most people, AMEX only adds 1 more year.

25. macneubie macrumors regular