Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi and marketing chief Greg Joswiak spoke with tech columnist Joanna Stern at The Wall Street Journal's Tech Live event in California on Tuesday. A full video of the interview is now available on YouTube.

Notable topics discussed included Apple admitting that it will have to comply with the EU's law requiring the iPhone to switch to USB-C, the lack of iMessage on Android, the lack of a built-in Calculator app on the iPad, App Tracking Transparency, privacy, working from home vs. the office, and more. The interview was also live-streamed on Twitter.

Read our previous coverage for a recap of notable comments from the interview.

Article Link: Craig Federighi and Greg Joswiak Interview About USB-C iPhone and More Now Available on YouTube

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
The reply on the calculator app definitely comes off as a bit of a "Let them eat cake" answer.

Your customers want a default calculator app - you've got a nice one on the iPhone to port it from (this would not be a huge job) - give your customers what they're asking for. This is a small, no brainer thing to do, amazing its been going on all these years - and its damaging the company's reputation as an org that listens to its customers to an extent.

Last edited:
This is one of those few times you can genuinely say Steve Jobs would not act like this. His interviews give real substance and thought.

Joswiak answers were just smartass ones with no substance.
I feel like he was being extremely arrogant. Poor attitude!

Hope to God he does not become the CEO of Apple one day. I was not happy with his smart a** answers. Just acting like he is too good for everyone. Felt like he was talking down the whole time. Acting like he is the best there is and the best there will be. If he didn't want to be there. He should not have accepted the interview. Instead, he sat down acting like he rules the world. 😢

Last edited:

Cole82

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2022
I feel like he was being extremely arrogant. Hope to God he does not become the CEO of Apple one day. I was not happy with his smart a** answers. Just acting like he is too good for everyone. Felt like he was talking down the whole time. Acting like he is the best there is and the best there will be. If he didn't want to be there. He should not have accepted the interview. 🤯
He reminds me of Steve Ballmer. He would not be good at the head of Apple, he's a pompous destroyer.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The reasoning for not having a calculator seems simple enough. Unless one really wants a giant 8"x10" full screen calculator with giant buttons. Might be nice for sight-impaired people, though.

I'd expect a calculator when/if iPad goes windowed like a Mac. Not something I'd want, though.

Long ago I wrote an RPN calculator app for the Mac. I kept it as small as possible to not hog the screen and stay out of the way.

Last edited:

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
these are all apple vetted questions in most cases so only ask what they will answer and have prepared answers for.

He reminds me of Steve Ballmer. He would not be good at the head of Apple, he's a pompous destroyer.
Not sure how he made it to become a VP. He fails at all these traits. Tim Cook needs to check him or something.

1. Collaboration 👎​

2. Creativity 👎​

3. Curiosity 👎​

4. Expertise 👎​

Last edited:

Cole82

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2022
Not sure how he made it to become a VP. He fails at all these traits. Tim Cook needs to check him or something.

1. Collaboration

2. Creativity

3. Curiosity

4. Expertise

That's a very good point.

stevensocal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
San Diego, Calif
Greg makes an interesting point about what iPhone users are used too. Then he goes on to say , what are people going to do with there old Lighting chargers if we move to USB-C well lets see, what have we done with our old chargers that are lighting that we can not use anymore cause they don't work ? It's an environmental issue when they no longer work and we have to get rid of them as well. I don't find that to be a very valid point on trying to hold on to lighting charging .. I honestly thing USB-C is a better way for apple to go... I to be quite honest with as a avid iPhone user since iPhone 3G and I worked for cell phone company for 10 yrs as a tech consultant. I have to tell you I really don't use either that much .. I use wireless charging the most. I love Magsafe chargers etc. So I only use lighting as a back up.

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
The reasoning for not having a calculator seems simple enough. Unless one really wants a giant 8"x10" full screen calculator with giant buttons. Might be nice for sight-impaired people, though.

I'd expect a calculator when/if iPad goes windowed like a Mac. Not something I'd want, though.
Is this a joke? Apple could make an awesome graphing calculator on an iPad.

511796N8GNL.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.