Craig Federighi on iPad's Long-Awaited External Drive Support: 'We're Willing to Acknowledge the 1990s'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

On the latest episode of the AppStories podcast, MacStories editor-in-chief Federico Viticci sat down with Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi to discuss WWDC 2019 announcements, including Project Catalyst, SwiftUI, and iPadOS.

[​IMG]
    Craig Federighi at WWDC 2019

Project Catalyst will make it much easier for developers to extend iPad apps to the Mac. In many cases, adding macOS support to an iPad app is as easy as opening an Xcode project and clicking the Mac checkbox, although Apple encourages developers to further optimize their apps to offer a true Mac experience.

Federighi believes Project Catalyst will allow many developers to bring their iPad apps to the Mac, as Apple has bridged the gap between its UIKit framework for iOS apps and its AppKit framework for Mac apps:
    [​IMG]
    Project Catalyst

Federighi expressed excitement about Project Catalyst, noting that he has seen many apps that look fantastic on the iPad that he has wanted on the Mac. With macOS Catalina and Xcode 11, that is now a possibility, with Twitter being one of several companies that plans to extend their iPad app to the Mac.

He added that Project Catalyst gives Apple the "same kind of benefits of being able to have a single team that can focus on making one thing the best and release it across all of our platforms," which makes "a ton of sense" to the company.

[​IMG]
    SwiftUI

As for Apple's new SwiftUI framework, which enables developers to use easy-to-understand declarative code to create full-featured user interfaces, Federighi said giving developers a tool that is "that expressive and that interactive" is going to result in better ideas and thereby better apps moving forward:
    Turning to the new iPadOS platform, Federighi said that the iPad has "become something really distinct from the phone" over the years and, accordingly, was deserving of an operating system that provides a "distinct experience":
    [​IMG]
    iPads now fully support external drives

Humorously, Federighi also poked fun at the iPad's newly added support for external storage such as USB drives and SD cards:
    The full interview can be listened to on the AppStories podcast over at MacStories.

Article Link: Craig Federighi on iPad's Long-Awaited External Drive Support: 'We're Willing to Acknowledge the 1990s'

2. Stiss macrumors 6502a

3. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors 6502

Romeo_Nightfall

Took them only many years to acknowledge, not a sign of intelligence

4. radio893fm macrumors regular

This arrogant attitude is what turns off so many people to the point that they don't even want to touch such many great Apple products.

5. btrach144, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

AKA, “We tried to scam users to purchase our ridiculously priced storage upgrade options for years.”

6. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Sadly, I think he is too arrogant to understand why people wanted it... AirDrop? LOL...That's not the point!

7. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

And I'm willing to spend $65 on a 2TB hard drive instead $120 over the course of just one year for 2TB of iCloud storage.

8. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

He's willing to acknowledge consumers don't want to pay Apple's $0.78/GB of flash storage on iPhone and iPad.

Nobody wants to pay 1990s prices for internal storage.

9. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Yeah, it's funny how non-expandable systems are limiting and force the user into doing without or finding workarounds.

10. balderoine macrumors member

balderoine

I have a sense of humor but that's just mean and bullying. some people multitask better without dealing with ******** hung up connections and wireless problems. doesn't matter what platform. just sayin.

11. AngerDanger, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

You know, I miss cranking up the Eminem, tussling my flock-of-seagulls hairdo, and… plugging a USB-C drive into my tablet computer?

o_O

12. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors regular

Maybe its just me, but I have never wanted to have a drive sticking out of my iPad. Thats like wanting Apple to add a CD slot to the iPod back in the day.

13. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Data to support that?

Or is a market leading position for iPad not good enough for you?

14. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors regular

Thanks for the laugh dude.

15. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Wow. This guy.

And I say that as a fan of Craig.

At least he did acknowledge this:
    I just don't like the arrogance. I've seen it from many folks at Apple, going back to Steve. Just because a use case doesn't work for one person doesn't invalidate it for all others.

16. bryce.wilson93 macrumors newbie

bryce.wilson93

"tvOS, a 10-foot UI that makes sense in that context." What kind of TV are you using Federighi??

17. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

I especially loved how their showcased External Drive was named "ANCIENT RELICS."

18. MacLoveMacHate, Jun 6, 2019

MacLoveMacHate macrumors regular

MacLoveMacHate

Dumbass, photography/video professionals work from external hard drives.

19. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

Ah, the good ol 90’s, before companies really started ripping us off with ridiculous storage tier pricing.

20. Mike MA, Jun 6, 2019

Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

No complaining here from my side. Just nice to see that the iPad and Mac see some heavy OS innovation again. Obviously Apple has enough resources to not only push iOS to some new levels.

21. radio893fm macrumors regular

It's all good with you Baymowe... we already determined where you come from. All you say is correct.

22. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors regular

To be fair, Steve Jobs was the same way when introducing the iPhone. He called the keypad "Last century." And when introducing iTunes, he said that music rental would never take off. 12 years later, Apple Music launches.
    Also, the iPhone still has a keypad

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Lots of oversensitive people here.

What I found the most interesting is the way CF describes the various OS's. In reality, Apple only has 2 OS's

macOS
    iOS

Federighi then breaks them down into "experiences", so

macOS

iOS, one OS divided into four different experiences
    • iOS (iPhone)
    • iPadOS (iPad)
    • tvOS (Apple TV)
    • watchOS (Apple Watch)
    That actually provides a great deal of clarity to a question a lot of us have.

24. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors regular

I think he is funny. Much better presenter than Fill or Tim. Fill is just a speck lister, and Tim tries to be all hip and cool, when he is really not. But this guy is just natural. He really reminds me of Scott Forstall from back in the day. Both are funny, both are a little arrogant, but both are still likable

25. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

So many feelings in this thread over an obvious joke.