Craigslist Incident; Need to get it Off My Chest

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MOKHAN, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOKHAN, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

MOKHAN macrumors 6502

A couple of weeks ago, I had seen an ad for a 15 inch Macbook Pro in the "Toronto Blackmarket" facebook group. In the listing, the seller specified it was a 2009 model and in mint condition. He wanted "600 - 700", but said he could go lower. I offered 500, he said okay. I bit.

We schedule a meetup at Yonge-Bloor station for 4:00pm. He informs me through e-mail that he doesn't have a phone, and suggests we communicate through facebook. I conclude he is lying about not having a phone, maybe because the laptop has flaws I would discover with use after the purchase. I decide to meet anyways. My thoughts: if the Macbook Pro does have flaws, I will notice them while inspecting it, and can refuse to purchase it.

4:00pm comes, and I'm at Yonge-Bloor. No sign of him. I wait half an hour. Nothing. Around 4:30pm, he calls me through a private number. I was right, he has a phone. He says he forgot the laptop at home, and tells me to meet him at Eglinton Station. I say okay. It's 5:00, and I'm at Eglinton. He calls me again and tells me he will be another half an hour. At this point I'm very frustrated, but decide to wait it out one last time.

It's 5:30, he facebook messages me he's here. We agree on meeting in a restaurant near TD Bank. I see him, we greet each other, I see he brought a friend. We sit down in the restaurant. After some small talk, I find out they both play on their highschool football team. I'm impressed, mostly by their university-student-like builds. He asks me if I have $500 on me, I tell him yes.

I'm excited to see the laptop. He pulls it out of his bag, upside down. Right off the bat I notice it's the 2008 model. I'm extremely disappointed, but I don't say anything. He also points out he lost his charger, I become extremely suspicious this laptop was stolen and, in my mind, decide I am not interested, I stay silent. I observe; the laptop has scratches and dents on the top and keyboard, and it does not power on. He says the battery must be dead.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, as you will soon find out), I have my Macbook charger in my backpack. Surprisingly, he's okay with me charging it. It powers on after five awkward minutes of charging. I am scared to tell him I don't want it, he seems to be set on selling it today. I muster up the courage and tell him the inevitable; I don't want it, it's not a 2009 model, and it's not mint.

He's furious. "It's not my fault. The manual said it was 2009, it's your fault, you should have asked me for the specific details!". His friend remains quiet. I explain to the seller that he falsely advertised it. He continues to fallaciously and ignorantly justify himself. I become anxious, his eyes are red, his gestures are aggressive, his voice is loud, he may get violent. "Just take it now for 500, you're lucky I'm not robbing you!" I think "What have I gotten myself into."

I continue to tell him I don't want it, and he continues to argue. Ten minutes, and he's had enough. He slams his laptop. Pulls my charger out of the wall, "I'm taking this". Him and his friend get up and hurry out the door. I sit there shocked. I don't follow him, I'm just thankful he didn't go for the $500 and that I'm in one piece. I wait five minutes, peering out the window every ten seconds, making sure they are not outside. I leave eventually.

I sit here now, on my basement computer, looking up the costs of magsafe chargers. I have class tomorrow, and need my 13" MBP charged. I don't know whether to be glad I'm safe, or upset that I no longer have a charger. All in all, I know I've learned some very valuable lessons. Time to move on. $90 at the Apple Store? Eh. Looks like someone is selling a brand new 85W one on craigslist for 65. I'll bite.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sounds like a revolving door kind of situation

3. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Might as well call the police and file the incident. He did, afterall, steal your charger in broad day light. With any luck, they might be able to trace him via security footages (it's a freaking mall, there has to be some) and serve him some cold, hard, justice. Hopefully they'll be able to find out if the laptop is stolen or not either, so if it is stolen the owner of it can get it back and also laugh in glee.

What a bunch of jackasses.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Sorry, but you should have never met him the minute he said he didn't have a phon, but yet he called you. Also, the price was too good to be true even for a 3 year old MBP. Next time, just spring for new or refurb on Apple. Your life is too precious for a savings of about $400.

Oh and get the police too. They play for HS team, did you find out the school?

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Such an amazing story with vivid details. However, this would never have happened to me.

You didn't see pictures of the device before hand? That's a no-no.

When I'm dealing with Craigslist. If anything kinda sounds like it might have a chance of it being shady, the deal is off.

6. Dorde macrumors newbie

You were in a restaurant in a mall, what could have happened? Sounded shady from the start..

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Must have been in an empty restaurant. Nobody noticed the argument.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I know the feeling.. but I scored a nib $2000 dlsr for $500 on a CL deal I didn't expect to go through. And it was not stolen. I guess it depends on having a plan, and a backup plan.. but to go alone and let their size/ attitude intimidate you is not the right way. Be more prepared in the future (bring me - buy a cup of java I'm happy);) and call the cops on these two fools before they do rob or hurt somebody else.

9. Squadleader macrumors regular

10. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

So, so, so many red flags. Please take better care of yourself in the future. There are *******s out there who will kill you for less, you got lucky.

The first second your gut tells you something is off, trust it. That's thousands of years of evolution working on your behalf.

11. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

12. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

And you need to grow a pair of brain hemispheres.

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Glad things didn't take a take a turn for the worse. As srf4real said, you should get the cops involved before they hurt or rob someone else.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Losing one's battery charger and not buying a new one is IMO very suspicious. Computer almost certainly stolen. You should definitely get the police involved. Who knows? They might be able to get the perp's phone number and ID even if it was a private call.

15. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Gee, the fact that he stole your Magsafe without hesitation is a dead-ringer that it was a stolen laptop. Please file charges if the public location had security cameras, not with the expectations of getting your charger back, but just for the slim chance justice will be served.

16. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised it took you so long to see the red flags...glad you have not been murdered over $500.

Pro Tip: Craigslist Deals > $100, bring a buddy, at the minimum.

Also: Why'd you waste time after you knew you weren't going to buy it? In a situation like that, I let the other party know immediately, and leave immediately.

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yikes.

First of all, what good is a public place unless it's safe? If it was a safe place this never would have happened as low life creeps like that become the slouching creeps they are, when around real human beings.

Frankly, I'm no better, and am lucky i'm alive having encountered people like this a number of times. But if you make it to a certain age, you will become sufiently paranoid, while you hide in your little hole. :)

18. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If your gut was telling you something was off, then you should've listened to it. Also, always a good idea to bring a friend whenever you meet someone from Craigslist. Glad to hear that at least you came out alright. Hopefully you can take this as a learning lesson.

19. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

What are you waiting for?

Call the police asap!

-you have his facebook page (very helpful for police)
    -you where at restaurant...very likely hidden cam catch whole thing

don't let these punks get away with your charger! make them pay!

20. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

you shouldn't have manoeuvered yourself into this situation in the first place, but at least you hopefully drew a valuable lesson and we got a well written story out of this

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Make sure and bring a Macbook Pro to test the charger works when you go for it :D

Don't worry about it! You didn't get stabbed, that's the main thing. And you will get stabbed for $500. Those guys planned and set out to get your 500 dollars, and didn't get it, think of it like that.

Life throws scumbags your way time to time - I had a run in with 2 hoods in London when I was a student. Big scrap in the middle of a road all over my mp3 player (wasn't even an iPod). Can't even go for a run without gettin jumped on :D

22. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

get a gun and put a cap in the guys ass!

Just kidding! Like the other people said, call the police. Horrible that those punks did that to you. Glad you're safe.

23. iforbes macrumors 6502

Everybody assumes the OP is a guy? What if the OP is a 105lb girl?!? Still maybe not the smartest move to go alone, but hindsight is 50/50.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That was my thinking. Why this kid is sitting in his ****ing basement crying about it when he has what he has on the guy is beyond me. Even if it was not his page then it is likely someone he knows. And to message you via facebook WHILE out in public without a phone is amazing. I'm truly amazed at all the red flags that were slapping the OP in the face every step of the way and how much he ignored them. I'd say he should feel lucky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.