Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadecricket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Hey everyone,
I've posted this question on Reddit, but didn't get any response. I've found the "Create PDF" from the Quick Actions menu in the finder to be incredibly useful. However, it seems like the only option it offers is a combined PDF. So if I say, selected multiple images, it would convert them into one combined PDF. But what if I want to convert a batch of images to *individual* PDFs? Is there any easy way to do this without additional software? A shortcut? Automator?
Would appreciate any insight you have.

thanks,
Quin

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The only way I know how to do this without a third party app is to view the page thumbnails on the pdf file, and then drag and drop each page into a folder in Finder to create a PDF of just that page. To me, it's a major oversight that Preview has no option to export each page individually. I looked at Automator but didn't see any actions that would seem to accomplish this.

Reactions: jadecricket

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Not very elegant, but a solution: Automator – QuickAction – New PDF from images – Split PDF
pdf.jpg

Reactions: usagora

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Not very elegant, but a solution: Automator – QuickAction – New PDF from images – Split PDF
View attachment 2196646

That does exactly what the OP wanted. Not sure what's inelegant about it? LOL. Just drag the images to the app icon and voila. Not sure how the heck I missed the "Split PDF" action when I searched "PDF" in Automator earlier today 🤦🏼‍♂️

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
With third-party tools, individual images can be directly converted into individual PDFs. Example with soffice included in LibreOffice.
Code:
for f in "$@"
do
/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice --headless --convert-to pdf -outdir ~/Desktop "$f"
done
soffice.jpg

jadecricket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
View attachment 2196646
This seemed very elegant to me, thank you. One question is: would it be possible to do this and keep SOME semblance of the original file name? The idea is to create a searchable archive, so keeping the original file name is somewhat critical. Even if it's something close that could then be further nuanced via the Rename command in the file menu.

thanks so much!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
One thing about this otherwise wonderful shortcut is it appears it stopped working in macOS Sonoma. Not sure how to give permission beyond saying 'OK.' Any thoughts? thanks for your help!
If you can't click on OK, go to System Settings - Privacy & Security - Files and Folders and it should be there.

jadecricket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Neither of these solutions seem to work. Screenshots illustrating suggested solutions. I'm just confused because I made no change in settings from Ventura to Sonoma, it just changed the permissions structure.
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 7.16.18 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 7.17.45 AM.png

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I’ve just tried with a newly created shortcut in Sonoma and it doesn’t ask for permission for the Desktop folder.
You could try to reset permissions for Shortcuts, from Terminal

Code:
tccutil reset All com.apple.shortcuts

jadecricket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
I did this - and discovered that unlike the first shortcut that originally worked, this re-creation didn't work - however, it didn't provide the file permissions errors - it just wouldn't generate files. With "Provide Output" checked, it did work. This wasn't necessary in the original shortcut, so I'm not sure what changed between OS releases, I'm just not that familiar enough with shortcuts.
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 7.16.56 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.