Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
bytethese, More recently, CDs have wound up with copy protection also. I bought a CD for my grandmother recently ("Mi Tiempo" by Chayenne), and the CD can not be copied to another CD or into her hard drive or put into her iPod. Legally, you're supossed to stop and buy a digitized copy of the CD from iTunes, but why should I have to pay twice?
When you buy media, you buy a single copy, and if you want it in multiple places or devices in today's digital world and want to abide by the laws, you must buy it multiple times.

rjohnstone, the FBI's anti-piracy link I put in my post includes all types of copying, which are considered piracy. The RIAA does not consider backing up or copying CDs "fair use", and the government has come out in support of these statements.

Vegastouch, when I alluded to iTunes I meant buying music in general, not specifically from iTunes.

When you buy a CD, you own it and should be able to put it into a personal device such as an iPod thru iTunes which i have done a lot. If certain artists make it so you cant do that , then i would gladly go download their stuff for free on Limewire for them being such a putz.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Sorry, I'm still sorta new here... figured I was doing right by getting it started again than start a new topic and be linked back to this thread. :D
Lol. No need for apologies. I just feel a need to defend my positions on this thread. Given the more complex nature of them, it takes a little bit of time.

rjohnstone, the FBI's anti-piracy link I put in my post includes all types of copying, which are considered piracy. The RIAA does not consider backing up or copying CDs "fair use", and the government has come out in support of these statements.

It's a good thing that the RIAA nor the FBI are the arbiters of fair use. That is the court.

Do you believe ripping your purchased DVDs to iTunes is stealing? After all, you only bought the rights to listen to the music while played off the compact disk and not your computer...

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Copyright law and the courts disagree when it comes to personal use of copyrighted material.
Even the RIAA's own web site clearly states that copying for personal use does not warrant legal action.

burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won’t usually raise concerns so long as:
  • The copy is made from an authorized original CD that you legitimately own
  • The copy is just for your personal use. It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal – to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying.
They don't care about the guy making a copy for himself.
They want the big fish.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
IPhone app piracy overblown.

The truth is that most ppl who download from appulous are teenagers with no money. It's not like middle income parents are jailbreakjng, running cydia, and installing AppSync to install cracked apps. *Just consider piracy as free advertising.

No DRM is needed. Most people are too stupid, or lazy to pirate an app. :apple:*

Steven89

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Queens, NY
When you buy a CD, you own it and should be able to put it into a personal device such as an iPod thru iTunes which i have done a lot. If certain artists make it so you cant do that , then i would gladly go download their stuff for free on Limewire for them being such a putz.

It's against the law to do so, but yes, I agree completely.

It's a good thing that the RIAA nor the FBI are the arbiters of fair use. That is the court.

Do you believe ripping your purchased DVDs to iTunes is stealing? After all, you only bought the rights to listen to the music while played off the compact disk and not your computer...

No, I don't. Perhaps I was portraying myself in the wrong light. I agree with you; I'm just trying to show everyone here that the law isn't on their side, and that when they think that when it comes to copying, some instances are okay and others aren't, they're wrong.

Copyright law and the courts disagree when it comes to personal use of copyrighted material.
Even the RIAA's own web site clearly states that copying for personal use does not warrant legal action.

They don't care about the guy making a copy for himself.
They want the big fish.

When they say it won't "raise concerns", it means they'll likely turn a blind eye-- not that it isn't illegal or is somehow right.
A friend of mine was contacted by authorities for copying movies to his hard drive. It's not just the big fish. It's everyone.

It's not truly in the artist's best interests for the government to crack down on these people, it's in the government's best interests. The artist or actors (creating the music or movies, respectively) get paid a flat rate by their record label, contract provider or producer. One of the only reasons why app developers are complaining about this because they aren't being handled by a middle-man, so they rely directly on sales to make any money on the app. Plus, any app developer who thinks that they can make big money by creating apps doesn't realize that in a technological world, where there's a will there's a way.

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Just out of curiousity, how in the world would the authorities know that your friend was copying movies to his computer harddrive? Did the DVD's send some sort of report back to the movie studios or something? :confused:

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
A friend of mine was contacted by authorities for copying movies to his hard drive. It's not just the big fish. It's everyone.

Highly doubtful. Your friend most likely got a forwarded mass email from MediaSentry. MediaSentry picked up their IP address from a torrent swarm and auto generated the email to the owner of the IP range. Then his ISP simply forwarded the email to your friend.

Anim4l

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
I registered just to post in this thread so I'm going to make it short and sweet because I have app's to download..

In the U.S. You can't sue anyone for any amount under 20$ USD.

So blow me if your app is under 20$!

Secondly, app restricts the apps in it's store. You can only do SO MUCH (Very little actually) to protect your app. IE : Grabbing Device ID and checking it against your Database.

That's about it.

So have fun, keep on cracking, keep on torrenting.

Just remember.

Only jailbreakers download cracked apps, not every Iphone/ipod touch user jailbreaks.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
I registered just to post in this thread so I'm going to make it short and sweet because I have app's to download..

Secondly, app restricts the apps in it's store. You can only do SO MUCH (Very little actually) to protect your app. IE : Grabbing Device ID and checking it against your Database.

That's about it.

Just remember.

Only jailbreakers download cracked apps, not every Iphone/ipod touch user jailbreaks.

Was this really worth reviving a year-old thread?

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008

That's about it.

Just remember.

since someone resurrected it, i'll just say...

if developers put "demo" apps as free downloads, and the only way to get the full version is an in-app purchase, wouldn't that solve the problem of crackers?
i could be wrong of course, i don't know...but it seems like the cracked app would only be the the demo version anyway...

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY

That's about it.

Just remember.

While that may be true, they can sue you for the lost revenue. Be it 10,000 cracked apps downloaded, and it sells for $2 each, that's $20,000 they can sue you for. Plus you're criminally liable too.
There will be blowing going on, but it will be by you, in jail.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK

if developers put "demo" apps as free downloads, and the only way to get the full version is an in-app purchase, wouldn't that solve the problem of crackers?
i could be wrong of course, i don't know...but it seems like the cracked app would only be the the demo version anyway...
i do like the idea of try before buying, i have purchased a couple cheapo apps in past and wished I hadn't downloaded and spent my money on it

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
I very much so dislike the people whom download pirated programs/apps

It makes everything more expensive for me :(

All software and apps on my pc and iphone are 100% paid for, or they are open source/free.

Yeah I paied Adobe for my copy of cs4

I hate to sound like some goodie goodie, but in reality, stuff like this bugs me.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere

That's why I like Android Market Place. After you bought an app, you have 24 hours to ask for refund if you don't like it. In doing so the app will be deleted from your phone. The next time you buy the same app, there will be no option for refund.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
That's why I like Android Market Place. After you bought an app, you have 24 hours to ask for refund if you don't like it. In doing so the app will be deleted from your phone. The next time you buy the same app, there will be no option for refund.

that would be nice. there are definitely some apps which I paid for that ended up being total crap, and a waste of money. I'll admit I did pirate some apps, but if I truly like the app, I do end up buying it because I believe developers do deserve money for their hard work.

I am hesitant to buy apps from cydia tho, because I don't like the idea of potentially not being able to use the apps if apple fixes the jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.