Creating Problems For iPhone Hackers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zippher, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Zippher macrumors newbie

Many of you know that Appulous manages thousands of our paid applications cracked on their website. Basically, if you have a paid application that has any sort of success, you have been cracked. In fact, one of the websites that Appulous partners with, Appscene.org has just bragged today about 10M cracked apps have been downloaded

I've devised a method to make their life hell...and it is working.

1) Go to www.appulo.us and do a search for your applications. Click on your app and then click on one of the versions that his hosted on www.appscene.org. You will see how many downloads of your application that has occurred. Might piss you off a bit when you see the number. (You can send an email to all the hosting companies to tell them that your copyrighted material is on their servers and they will remove it (except for Appscene)).
    2) Create an account on www.appscene.org and upload some large files (mine were over 50Mb each) and give them the extension: *.ipa (note: you can use any of the other sites as well, but I like using Appscene because they are partnered with Appulous and their purpose is solely to house cracked iPhone apps. The other websites for a bit more diversity are: zshare.net, zippyshare.com, 2shared.com, 4shared.com
    3) Create an account on www.appulo.us.
    4) Grab the iTunes link of your application and click on their “Submit An App” link
    5) Paste your iTunes link into their field and additional fields will appear.
    6) Paste your link from the website you uploaded your large file in the new field. (Note: One thing I found helpful is to put the name of the hacker who uploaded your most recent cracked version. It will discredit his next version.)
    7) You can post multiple links to the other websites as well.
    8) After you are done, post your links.

Want to see it in action? I posted a link to a fake large database on Appscene yesterday and as of this posting over 21k people have downloaded my junk. Here is the link: http://www.appscene.org/download.php?id=197343828

If enough of us do this, we can discredit their website and cause them problems.

Note: Admin...please don't remove the Appscene link. I know you don't like to reference these websites, but we need to raise visibility to this problem.

2. matttye macrumors 601

If they are actually hosting these cracks, could you not threaten them with legal action?

3. y0m0uth macrumors regular

this will do absolutely nothing, its like the music industry... you take one down 20 more comes up!

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Great idea and the best of luck to you. Remember folks, pirating apps is going to hurt you (stifled app development due to low return) more than getting Fart App+ is going to help you.

5. Zippher thread starter macrumors newbie

Two hours later and it is now at 34k+ downloads.

6. Kevlar macrumors 6502

That quick makes me think their download numbers are not reporting actual downloads.

7. yellier35 macrumors newbie

you know what would be even better, instead of just posting junk make an actual app that says something to scare the free loaders. Like this is a cracked app your account has been logged or something like that.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I like the way you think.

Like, make it load the normal front page of the program, then pop up a note saying "Thanks for downloading cracked apps. Uploading e-mail passwords and address book to remote server now..."

I mean, if you can't enjoy your work, why do it at all?

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm sure it's "fun" short term but long term it won't amount to anything. My recommendation is not to mess with it. They'll figure out what you're doing shortly and make it not able to happen again.

10. gfer macrumors newbie

... so when iPhone Hackers have to do with pirating? ¬¬

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

One must know programming to be a hacker and hackers break code to pirate software.

so all programmers are hackers which makes them pirates and theives. :rolleyes:

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its a waste of time.
    You're one, they're thousands.
    Its not even going to make a dent.
    Request a program to be removed from one server and will be posted on 10 different ones within hours.

13. mamcx macrumors regular

We was 300, they 200.000

An we make a dent ;).

(Aprox 1 vs 660+ soldiers, low estimation)

P.D. I don't support the idea of fight this way, but I don't eat the idea that a single man can do nothing against a larger, more powerfull enemy.

14. Zippher thread starter macrumors newbie

The numbers are accurate. Watch this link to how many people download the app: http://www.appscene.org/download.php?id=197343828

Note: I have multiple apps (10 of them) on the Appulous website pointing to it, but watch how many people download.

Seriously, if you have an application out there and it is on Appulous, I would encourage you to create a fake account on their website and post to another link on the Appscene website. It works. The illegal downloads of mine has dropped to next to none.

I recognize this is only one website, but it is the LARGEST. If you take 10 minutes of your day to cause them a problem, the users will get frustrated.

15. Zippher thread starter macrumors newbie

Let's Bury Appulous and Appscene

As some of you know, these two websites work together to distribute hacked copies of our iPhone apps. Appulous is the front end (go ahead, search for your app)...and Appscene.org is their primary backend.

I have alerted the FBI and they have asked for more reports of abuse. If your iPhone application is on their website(s), please go to: http://www.ic3.gov

I know, I know...if we stop one, ten will come up. But these guys are the biggest (they just announced 10M downloads of illegal iPhone apps) and if a few of us file a complain, the FBI will get on them.

16. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yeah, until the admins catch on, at which point it'll become a game of cat and mouse.

And just for the record: never in the 25+ years of the piracy scene have I seen "the good guys" win said cat-and-mouse game.

17. Zippher thread starter macrumors newbie

So you just let those punks take advantage of you? That's why the bullies in the school yard get away with it...if all the little guys took a stand, the bullies would back down.

I too have been in the software scene for decades, but I believe in making a difference. Don't let these people push us around.

18. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yep. Pretty much. Because "those punks" wouldn't buy my software anyways. The only reason they use it now is because they can get it for free -- even if I could somehow magically make my code uncopyable the people pirating it wouldn't run out and buy a copy, they'd just move on to some other app that could be pirated.

Sigh. I know, I know... If we all fight the good fight, etc.

Except it doesn't work that way. You know what Operation Buccaneer, D-Elite, and FastLink did to the piracy scene?

Not a goddamn thing.

There's one big difference between those operations and this idea: they had the backing of national and international law enforcement, millions of dollars of funding, and a hell of a lot of planning and work behind them. The fact that they didn't do anything to stop piracy should tell you something: you can't stop freeloaders from pirating your software. It couldn't be stopped in the 80s, it wasn't stopped in the 90s, and it can't be stopped now.

19. Zippher thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. You can't beat the pirates head-on. However, you can become a pirate of your own sort. Beat them at their own game.

If someone were to write one app that does some damage to a person's iPhone and post it on these websites posing as another app, people will download it, install it and realize that it isn't safe to download these apps. The "White Hat" approach to hacking/piracy DOES work.

20. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

this is my thing... if they are pirating your software tell me how many of those that did download your software as you say "illegaly" would have purchased your app through the app store? I bet that number is VERY VERY low.... instead of trying to fight the hackers be innovative and bring something new to the table that the real customers are going to be buying would eat up.... then you wont have to worry to much about those "bullies".

your fighting a very steep uphill battle if you are trying to wreck havoc on the hackers.

let me ask you this....

would you rather have people that wouldnt have purchased your app in the first place stop illegaly downloading your app? or issue refunds to people that arent satisfied with your app?

I guarantee that if it was issuing refunds it would hit you harder in the pocket book.

remember the app store has its ups and downs... not having refunds is a big plus for guys like you.... I have purchased my share of ****** apps that i feel robbed and wished i could have my money back.

its a give and take.

dont fight your non customers(hackers).... please your real customers instead.

thats the way to success.

by the way what apps do you have on the appstore? just wondering if i have any of yours.

21. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

is that kinda like what DRM did to piracy?

it just might make them a little more careful but that doesnt mean they will stop.

22. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Since they're on a cracked iPhone, you have access to the entire iPhone system resources. Upgrade their baseband to 2.2.1 (I think it is) and they can't unlock their iPhone anymore....

Thus they can no longer load cracked apps on their iPhone!

23. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No it doesn't. All it means is that your app will get a bad rep and that the pirates will move on to something else.

I know this because it's happened: although I don't remember the name of it, there was a Mac app that did pretty much that. Upon entering a known-pirated serial, the app would nuke ~. Word spread amongst the pirate community and everyone stopped using it. Only a few pirates were hindered, and everyone just moved on to another app.

Doing something like this is childish. It's like breaking all the toys in a public toy box because you think some other kid is playing with them too much.

Oh, as an added bonus, what you're proposing would most likely be illegal -- it's malicious software, regardless of whom it's aimed at. Claiming that it's OK because you're targeting it at someone that you think deserves it doesn't make it any less of a Trojan.

Unlocking has nothing to do with jailbreaking. Good try though.

24. gfer macrumors newbie

Ask Sony about their Rootkit...

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I would be interested in learning what apps Zippher has in the store as well