Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
It is Ironic that Adobe has left Fireworks out of the Premium Design Package and InDesign Out of the Premium Web Package.

This is a terrible ommission obviously designed at confusing things and Milking Extra Revenue out of True Print and Web Production Pros.

I dunno. InDesign is really a print thing. Photoshop should come with ImageReady, which should suffice for print designers doing the occasional web graphics.

Being a teenager, I never thought I'd need or even be able to afford big bad CS, but now that I'm making good $$$ for webdesign (don't worry real webdesigners, I get that much more than minimum wage;) ), I'm thinking...

I wonder if I'll get a better deal with Design Premium or getting Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver individually. I sure hope academic pricing is good and extends to K-12 students!

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
If all you want to upgrade is (say) Photoshop, is that possible under this annoying new schematic?

You can always buy just a Photoshop upgrade. The upgrade price is usually $179 (probably less for students). This article is about one thing only: Adobe Creative Suite 3, which bundles Photoshop with various other Adobe applications.

I guess I was hinting at more an ala carte option.
Like InDesign CS3, Soundbooth CS3 and Flash CS3 Pro, pretend.
Possible or not?

Stupid software bundles...

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Better Be An ImageReady Type RoundTrip In Photoshop 10 Or Else...

Well I sure hope they have a roundtrip like they do with ImageReady

"Save for Web..."

I don't want to hassle among programs to reduce images. In that case I'll run PS 8 in Rosetta. I read for image file size reduction type stuff, it's plenty fast. Looking forward to next Tuesday's event. It'll give us something to write about for a few days. :p

This kind of bundling I find pigeonholes people into very limited carreer types that don't necessarily jive with today's multimedia professionals who are working in all sorts of disciplines simultaneously.

Perhaps a better selling scheme would be to set different prices for x, y and z amounts of whatever apps you want instead of only the sets they think you want.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
You think if everyone who uses Adobe products paid for them the price would be lower for everyone????? Are the prices higher because they know some people will steal it?

Of course...its not at all uncommon to build losses into the cost so the consumer pays for what other's steal. My old company used to have higher prices in certain countries and part of the way it was determined was how active the black market was (fake products with our brand on them).

There are many who say they can't justify the cost of PS...so thats a large part of why we got Elements. Now there is some talk of a ~$300 version of PS. Adobe may have seen many people buy Elements rather than use pirated PS copies and may go after the remaining people who are still morally challenged.

dkirlew

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
From information I've read Lightroom was not intendned to be a part of the Creative Suite. I'll wait until Tuesday at the announcement as to Adobe's packages and prices. As of now it is still speculation.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
FIREWORKS? Why the heck didn't they kill that?

It seems quite silly to have a supposedly web-targeted package that doesn't contain Photoshop. "Web Premium" indeed - as if "Web standard" will have any market whatsoever.

Because Fireworks kicks ass IMO. The features and workflow are way better for straight web work than Photoshop.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
What is the latest with Freehand? Is it just going to rot away? I have always preferred it to Illustrator. Illustrator is a good product but change is hard, and I have used Freehand since the 2.2 Aldus days.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I was kinda hoping for a bare-bones "Barely Creative Suite" with just Photoshop and Illustrator in it. I've never gotten around to needing either InDesign or GoLive, so I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with the CS or downgrade to the individual apps this time around...guess that depends on the pricing.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden

It seems quite silly to have a supposedly web-targeted package that doesn't contain Photoshop. "Web Premium" indeed - as if "Web standard" will have any market whatsoever.

I partially agree. Fireworks integration with dreamweaver is... helpful. i was hoping that they would integrate those functions of Fireworks into photoshop. However, I can see why they wouldn't. With the additional functionality, photoshop might just be that much bulkier.

At any rate, hurrah!! Can't wait to have dreamweaver and flash running natively on my intels!!!! It's not, actually, that they run too badly on rosetta, but the battery gulping is bad..

ferrisb

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Riverton, Utah

Fireworks is great for web development - especially when you don't need the extra photo editing that Photoshop provides. I use it all the time for preparing images for the web. Photoshop is great at editing photos, but when I'm creating a site comp, or chopping images up to go online, FW is the best.

Also, I'm sure there's a great market for the Web Standard - otherwise they wouldn't bother to produce it. Believe it or not, you can produce content for the web without Photoshop - and if you don't have the cash to get the premium suite, the standard is still going to get you the tools you'll need to get the job done.

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
Adobe has lost it

Adobe is brain dead.
Getting more like microsoft daily. It's lost it's creative touch and become a boring corporate giant.
Thumbs down across the board.
Ever since CS the new useful interesting creative professional tools have been at a stand still while they jam the programs with fluff and frills.
Photoshop being a complete disappointment.

clanmesa

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
Well I sure hope they have a roundtrip like they do with ImageReady

"Save for Web..."
This kind of bundling I find pigeonholes people into very limited carreer types that don't necessarily jive with today's multimedia professionals who are working in all sorts of disciplines simultaneously.

It annoys me every time I have to fill out a form that says what I do, and you'd think Adobe would realize that many of their customers are cross-discipline. I do print AND web. I'm not one or the other, I'm both. You know, the Census bureau finally realized that people might not be just Caucasian, or just Hispanic, so they started letting people check more than one box. Hello? Adobe? Perhaps if your drop-down menu for job type wasn't so restricted, your database reports would help you realize that many of your customers are cross-discipline.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium
With film and video production professionals within its cross-hairs, Adobe also plans to roll out a €1999 suite called "Adobe Creative Suite 3.0 Production Premium." In addition to Photoshop CS3 Extended, Illustrator CS3, and Flash CS3 Professional, the package will include After Effects CS3 Professional, Premier Pro CS3, Soundbooth CS3, and Encore CS3.
what is this in US dollars?
God i hope their is academic pricing that actually will get students to buy it instead of steal it :rolleyes:

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
What a totally mish mash of packages, doesn't make sense at all.

The web standard package doesn't include Photoshop CS3, yet the web premium package includes Photoshop CS3 Extended??? Why would web designer want 3D/Video capibilities in photoshop? Seems dumb not to offer the standard photoshop at a lower price in the premium package.

Secondly, Fireworks and inDesign don't come together in ANY package except the master one!!!!! I wanted:

Dreamweaver
Flash
Fireworks
Photoshop
Illustrator
InDesign

If you want those 6 apps It will cost you 2269 euros!!! :-/

meh

clanmesa

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004

There's a free widget for dashboard that converts one sort of measurement/currency to another, called unit converter. If you download that, you can convert any of the prices in the article to U.S. dollars.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Adobe / Macromedia

So I have a question ... since I have CS2 Professional, can I use the upgrade and get the Macromedia items or will I have to own those as well (meaning I'd have to purchase those first?) I sincerely hope that isn't true.

photomaniac

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
WOOHOOO!!!!! Can't wait! This is exciting stuff! I"m so looking forward to the release! Everything will (should) run really smooth on the new Intels! :)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Its nice to work for a company who gets free upgrades, well the entire "company" does, and we get a new license and upgrades.

Either way, I did have CS3 budgeted for this year, along with a new (ewww) PC!

GO ME!

ps: this is cuz, godizillizam thats alot of money!

though, since AE is all Id ever want from Adobe for my personal self, lets hope they sell that separately

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
They need a FCP professional Bundle that just comes with After Effects CS3, Photoshop CS 3 Extended and Illustrator CS3.

But anyhoo, whatever, I'll take em all for the video bundle.

-mark

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Nothing irritates me more than convoluted packages. This is a big fat negative for me.
Agreed. Then I went to their web site and looked at their full product list-- when did it get that out of hand?! Is that still the effects of the Macromedia acquisition?
God i hope their is academic pricing that actually will get students to buy it instead of steal it :rolleyes:
Too much. If you want a more accurate number, multiply by 1.33.

In the past, Adobe has given academic pricing that was good enough to get thieves to consider going to school. I expect that will continue.
If the standard web version was to have Photoshop, it would be perfect.
Agreed. Which is why it wont. The idea is to force you to buy more than you need to-- so they put together a bunch of packages that are one application short of what you need and then give you Premium option that has more in it than you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.