Credit card vs Debit Card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ephailey, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ephailey macrumors member

Confused:

1. Threads say usually must use credit card. I used debit card.
    2. During the order, the agent said she was not sure but since the system took the debit card, it is OK.
    3. My confirmation says all ok but mentions if debit card was used, it could delay things since they would need to call me. Would this call only be if there was a problem (not enough funds?) ?
    4. My debit card shows the charges already have been made.
    5, Should I try to change to a credit card now or let it go?

2. sullez macrumors 6502

I used my debit card / which I can also select for credit in stores when I swipe

The funds have been removed from my account - I have not received a phone call.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Same.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I used a debit card, the full amount was actually taken, there was no authorisation. I received no call.

My order was later cancelled by Apple for no reason, unrelated probably.

5. antman2295 macrumors 6502

6. mattydee87 macrumors regular

All I'm saying is everytime I've bought an Apple product I've used a debit card. I did for the iPhone 4 and even for the iPhone 4S. So has my brother. What makes people think it wouldn't work? I mean seriously, do you think Apple will refuse a debit card and lose money?

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Apple wouldn't, but he carriers will. They are subsidizing your phone and they need to verify your credit worthiness to enter into a 2 year contract. If you have poor or no credit, they may require a deposit.

8. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I used a debit card (ordered from Verizon) and everything went through fine. They can't force you to use a credit card, some people don't even have one. We've also been on Verizon for years though, so maybe that makes a difference.

9. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Debit Cards can be used as Credit Cards, so it doesn't matter which one you use.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Let it go. I used debit card when ordering through AT&T and have every launch. Never had a problem.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My experience with Apple and debit cards has been the following.

Last year I was still going thru a nasty divorce, and money was behind tight certain weeks. I ordered the camera connection kit for my DD's iPad knowing I would get the money from her dad by the time it shipped in 4 weeks.

Well, I called and they said they only do a $1 verification charge to make sure it is a valid card, so I pre-ordered 3 days before I should have. They hit me for the whole thing because it was a debit card. They ended up jumping thru some massive hoops for me to get that hold removed because it was going to create a problem for me before it could fall off (really, nasty divorce, please don't go there today, and thank you to the manager at Apple that understood and fixed it for me).

SO, they should, technically the way holds work process the charge against the funds verification they dinged your account for. The only problem I could see is if they ran it as an additional new charge (say the amount changed?) and then were trying to take another $200+ out of your account in addition to the first.

Holds on funds vary how they are treated at the bank you use. Most tend to treat "pending" debit card purchases as real and don't allow you access to the funds. Some, based on reading the iPad threads, don't.

Outside of that, I couldn't see a problem with using a debit over a credit card. I do it all the time.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

As an aside, I encourage everyone to educate themselves regarding the many risks & liabilities of debit cards.

As you already know the moment it's swiped they've got your money. Your recourse is marginal to nil.

When using a credit card there are many state & federal protections in place which protect the consumer. Not so with a debit card.

The banks put a positive spin on debit cards since they return max profit.

After enduring a horrendous identity theft case, I was thoroughly enlightened about the entire subject by the FBI. Thus I'm compelled to issue a heads up to others.

Finally, it was particularly satisfying as I fed my debit cards to the shredder :)

13. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Going to quote this in its entirety.

Spot on.

14. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

If possible you should always pay for goods bought online with a credit card as debit card give you very little recourse when thing go wrong.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act (UK) also offers protection and recourse through your card provider if you cannot resolve issues with the supplier and you paid at least £100 of an items cost on a credit card. This also covers goods purchased from overseas.

15. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I used my debit card at first, but switched to my American Express before it got to "Preparing for shipment" status.

You see, whatever you buy with an American express not only gets its warranty automatically extended for another year, but also is covered from accidental damage. Some of the cards even cover theft!

16. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I used a debit card to pre-order the iPhone 4 last year (didn't have a credit card at the time) and everything went smoothly.

The funds were taken automatically, put back from some reason, then taken out again. I got my iPhone a few days later.

17. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

That happened to me when I pre-ordered Marvel vs Capcom from the Capcom site.

What I'm guessing they're doing is they're making a fake grab for the funds to see if you have them, and then actually taking them once the item is officially charged.

That's the way it worked with me anyways.

18. iadam09 macrumors regular

I always prefer to use a credit card. Amex gives you an extra year of warranty, you get points for every dollar you spend (plus additional points if you use it through their mall) and if it breaks or gets stolen within 90 days you're protected. Other CC companies offer great incentives like these. Just make sure to pay it off at the end of the month to avoid interest.

19. r2fa3l macrumors regular

+1 I ordered my iPhone 4 with a Debit card, and it arrived on launch day. iPhone 4S on the way

20. Ounce macrumors member

All of my Apple purchase are made with debit cards: in store, online, and iTunes. I've never had any issues.

21. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

when you use a debit card online it processed it as a credit card.....

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

True and untrue. When you use a debit card in store in most cases you have the option to process the transaction as credit or debit. When you process the transaction as credit you're awarded the same benefits of a regular credit card. I agree otherwise.

23. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I've been using mine more as credit just because. With all the skimming I hear about I'm very selective where i use my pin number. Even if it is a minor thing, it makes me feel better not entering my pin at the gas pump!

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

When will my debit card be charged?

Our bank will automatically debit your account for the value of your order when the order has been placed and accepted by Apple.

When will my credit card be charged?

When you place your order, Apple request authorisation to charge the order amount from your credit card company. Once we have received approval, Apple reserve the amount on your card until all items are available and your order has shipped. Your card will be charged when your order has shipped.

http://store.apple.com/uk/help/payments/card_payment

25. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Been using VISA debit with Apple for years and never really had a problem.

Ordered a 4S when the site went live and was charged right away. My order is being prepared for shipment.