Crooked Macbook pro keys (late 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LemmycautioN, Nov 10, 2008.

1. LemmycautioN macrumors member

I've read a number of posts regarding the crooked f row keys on the new MBP. For all of the descriptions that I've read, I've only seen 2 photographs. I looked at some of the models at the store and of the 6 display models all of them had some degree of crookedness. When I say crookedness I mean that one side is higher than the other and is not noticeable from a bird's eye view. I've taken some photos of what I believe to be "mild crookedness" in my MBP 2.8. It would be cool if some people that have crooked keys could post their photos as well as people who've received properly aligned keys. Most stock photos of the MBP don't get the angle necessary to really detect the crookedness.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/3018885758_5e9820f692_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/3018885618_ae697e35d3_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/3018884920_0df80d08ff_b.jpg

Attached Files:

2. ahbianz macrumors newbie

mE 2?

No Pictures.. but my F7 key looks like yours..
    Also, my F3 key.

But i can over look that.

:)

3. mladenz macrumors regular

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry, but it just astounds me that this is even an issue :eek:

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

5. cptrios macrumors newbie

Meh...if the keys work, who cares? If nothing else is wrong with the computer, hold on to it for dear life!

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Well, I wouldn't go that far. If the keys are crooked now when it's first bought, they may be loose or fall off along the way.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Unless slanted keys were an advertised improvement, I'd take it back.

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Geez, so this is what people are moaning about with crooked keys? Man, people are returning machines like this? I think some people must want to be unhappy, if I have to squint and measure to see the problem then it must not be a big problem.

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

This is the f-key "defect"?!?
    I'm an extremely picky guy imo...the little things bug me more than the average grounded person...however there's no way in HELL I'd return a otherwise perfectly good notebook over this. If the keys didn't work because of this then that would be different. Holy smokes, this is insane.

As for the comment that the keys could fall out easier because of this....well thats out to lunch. No way, unless you have some logical reason why this could even be possible I say you're just trying to stir the pot here.

10. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i thought the f keys slanting was worse than this...
    this is a joke
    i cant even notice it

11. loganpyle macrumors member

i can't believe this is the crooked keys problem...i mean i'm a perfectionist, and just sent my first mbp (late 08) back for a loose battery cover, but even i wouldn't send one back for this. i'm glad i have to wait forever to get my replacement, and not have it when i start school, because apple is dealing with people sending their computers back for "crooked" keys. it types, you can't notice it unless you get a magnifying glass and look at the keyboard eye level, and doesn't cause any legitimate problems...so deal with it.

ridiculous.

12. FCDP macrumors regular

Sure, there are some issues with the new MBPs, but this is ridiculous. I had an actual crooked key on my first 08 MBP, though it was an actual crooked key that was misaligned, and couldn't be pushed without breaking the key off. This on the other hand is what, a less then 1mm slant?

13. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

Apple must be ecstatic that people are willing to overlook visible quality problems with their new 3K MacBook Pros!

Who knows what they'll serve up to us next .... and don't complain or take it back, because you might get a worse one!

14. eBrooker macrumors newbie

Mine has the same problem - for all of you who _have not_ seen this problem you won't really understand why people are complaining unless you live with it yourself (I thought the same as many of you until I got mine!)

It's like you have this thing of beauty on your desk, perfect in every way but it is spoilt by one big blemish. Because everything else _is_ perfectly straight the slanted keys stick out like a sore thumb... in fact when I opened it for the first time my eye was drawn to it before anything else :eek:

I have a new wired apple keyboard - all keys perfectly straight
    I have a Logitech keyboard - all keys perfectly straight
    I have another laptop - all keys perfectly straight

It really is a shame that this is happening, and I feel just as bad 'wanting' to send it back for such a small fault (but one that does have a big impact on how it looks).

I'll see if I can take some pics and post them after.

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Same here, I dont think i'm going to complain too much, I rarely use those keys. They do feel weird when you press them though, like they're not quite squared underneath.

I think this picture sums it up nicely and you can see just how crooked they are. Has anyone tried popping them off and then reseating them on straight? I imagine the problem is with the supports underneath, but it's worth a try.

[​IMG]

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Visible? Geez, you need a magnifying glass and have your head on trackpad looking at the screen to see this.

I'd love to see products that pass test.

17. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

LMAO. I spend most of time looking at my LED screen and not the keys when I'm using my UniMBP.

All the keys sit on kind of like a bevel, and do tilt a fraction of a degree in all directions. I think this is to keep them "soft to the touch", and also to keep the direct force applied to the keys more equal so they don't wear out as fast. It probably helps keep typing on the keyboard a little quieter too.

So in the end I don't think the "crooked" keys is a defect. They just rest that way after some use, and they are kind of "suspended" in midair.

18. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

I've talked with Apple about this issue, and yes, it is considered a defect and they're looking into the cause of the issue. It's not a "feature."

19. south8212 macrumors 6502

about 4 or so of mine the right side is higher....i kind of like it tho i think apple should make this a new feature....

20. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I never said it's a feature. I said it's silly to return a product for this "defect" unless the keys aren't working correctly.

Typical response of those who get called on a complaint. They try to turn the tables by claiming someone is apologizing for Apple and calling it a feature.

21. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

Of course it's not a feature. Who would advertise that the keys sit .005mm off tilt? Point is, it's an imperfection and not a true defect, such as the video cards of the previous MBP's. IMO, of course.

22. Red-red macrumors 6502

The bottom right of my "esc" sticks up 0.05mm, Not happy. Why doesn't apples quality control pick up these defects.

23. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

To the OP: Seriously? You had to look that hard? Maybe Apple expanding it's consumer base ain't really going to be worth it in the end.

I have to admit to being more than a little amused at all the (now what was that term being thrown at those of us who still wanted the choice of matte screen.... oh yeah! "whining!") folks looking for any little reason to be unhappy with their machines. What's going to happen after a few months when it starts showing a little wear and tear? Going to throw it away then? Sure, if it's a defective product, then return it. But let's not get carried overboard. If you have to strain to look for it, then you're just asking for unhappiness no matter what you've got. Maybe an Acer or Compaq laptop would be more up your alley.

If the keys work, screen's good, all functions are "go," then I'd say "get to work" and let the "pro" machine start earning it's keep. If it's a decoration, then there are cheaper things you could buy to decorate a tabletop...

Sorry, but I just remember all the fans of the new machines ragging some of us who didn't like being limited to glossy/glassy screens, and calling us whiners. What's going on here with these keys is minor compared to what we were griping about. I do support your right to complain, but hopefully we can get over labeling each other in the future. :)

PS: good luck.

24. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I had crooked keys on my 2007 Santa Rosa MBP too.. I think its a normal thing with MBP's ;)

25. LemmycautioN thread starter macrumors member

If you have to strain to look for it, then you're just asking for unhappiness no matter what you've got. Maybe an Acer or Compaq laptop would be more up your alley.

PS: good luck.[/QUOTE]

YIKES ! Are you saying that acer and compaq are higher quality machines??? I purchased my first mac in 1992 and I haven't owned any other computer brand since. I started this particular thread because I wanted to see what other people's "crooked keys" looked like in comparison to mine. If you've read original post you'd see that I said of the 6 floor models that I looked at "all of them had some degree of crookedness". Never in my post did I even indicate that I was considering returning my MBP because of the "mild crookedness". I also received this computer with a dent on the bottom - I'm planning on having the apple store order a replacement bottom piece and switching it out there - and I also have some speaker issues that I am working out. I was hoping that this thread would attract people who have crooked keys and were willing to photograph them so we could all see what people are dealing with. The reason that I described my keys as possessing a "mild crookedness" is because I'm not too concerned with my keys (my speaker issue is a greater concern to me)

PS matte screens are totally overrated