Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Of course this would be released the day after I finished loading all my data on my SSD. Hopefully I do this thing correctly and I don't mess up anything.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
For any of those on here that have a Crucial M4 SSD, Crucial just released a new firmware update that is supposed to fix the 5200-hour bug.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/M4-firmware-0309-is-now-available/td-p/80286

Okay, for some reason when I booted from the CD it displayed a a circle with a diagonal in it. I successfully burned the image onto a CD, so I have no idea what's going on. I booted from an external SuperDrive since I took it out for my dual SSD/HDD setup.

Jake99

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2012
@ original poster, very good of you to post this message. I just got an M4 SSD (512 GB) and with it being at firmware 0009 thought I was all up to date. Now I can make sure I do the new update. Much appreciated. :)

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Has anyone of you updated the FW from an external drive? I called Crucial tech support and they couldn't figure out my problem. I'm thinking this is the only thing that may be preventing it. I'm thinking of temporarily taking out my HDD and putting in the SuperDrive and hopefully that will work. I've already burned the ISO image three times.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Has anyone of you updated the FW from an external drive? I called Crucial tech support and they couldn't figure out my problem. I'm thinking this is the only thing that may be preventing it. I'm thinking of temporarily taking out my HDD and putting in the SuperDrive and hopefully that will work. I've already burned the ISO image three times.

I burned the iso using disk utility. Then used the cd in my internal cd burner.
You hold down the "C" key when booting. Then it boots from the cd and takes you right to the step where you type "yes" to do the firmware update. It took about 30 seconds. Then i turned off the machine by holding down the power button, then pressed it again to restart.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I burned the iso using disk utility. Then used the cd in my internal cd burner.
You hold down the "C" key when booting. Then it boots from the cd and takes you right to the step where you type "yes" to do the firmware update. It took about 30 seconds. Then i turned off the machine by holding down the power button, then pressed it again to restart.

I'll have to give that a try. But, you said INTERNAL. I don't have one, mine is external. I guess you were just letting me know that you were successful when it was done internally.

I suppose it's time to open up the MBP and switch the HDD and SuperDrive again. Argh. This is only if that holding the C button doesn't work.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I'll have to give that a try. But, you said INTERNAL. I don't have one, mine is external. I guess you were just letting me know that you were successful when it was done internally.

I suppose it's time to open up the MBP and switch the HDD and SuperDrive again. Argh. This is only if that holding the C button doesn't work.

maybe it can be done with a bootable thumb drive

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Okay, thanks. I should know how to do this. I did make a bootable thumb drive for lion. I'll have to see.

I would check out the crucial ssd forum and maybe even post a message there to see if it's possible to update by usb drive.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I would check out the crucial ssd forum and maybe even post a message there to see if it's possible to update by usb drive.

I'll give that a try. However, there was something that the Crucial tech support said when I called them. He said something about drivers not being loaded. He's speculating that I could boot from my OSX install discs because it was about to have some sort of drivers for it to boot from the USB to external drive but the FW didn't have it. It seemed to make sense. But, I don't even know if it's true.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I just went ahead and opened up my MBP since the tools were still out and the procedure was still fresh in my mind. And it worked like a charm. The same CD that wouldn't boot from the same drive when it was external, was now booting when it was placed internally. In any case, I'm updated to 0309 and hopefully there's no more issues with this m4.

SayMilesAway

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Florida
were you guys actually experiencing a problem that you needed this firmware update? I do not have any issues with my m4..

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
were you guys actually experiencing a problem that you needed this firmware update? I do not have any issues with my m4..

Nope. The bug was only after 5000 hours of use. I did the update as a preventive measure.

Yeah. I only had ~ 24 hours on mine, and I didn't even know that this bug existed. I'm happy that this bug has been fixed. I didn't want several months pass by and then and then suddenly have it die on me.

SayMilesAway

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Florida
Yeah. I only had ~ 24 hours on mine, and I didn't even know that this bug existed. I'm happy that this bug has been fixed. I didn't want several months pass by and then and then suddenly have it die on me.

it seems like a pita to upgrade the firmware though huh?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
it seems like a pita to upgrade the firmware though huh?

Yeah, it does/did. But it wasn't as bad since everything was out already. But it's always nerve-wracking when you're removing/replacing something in the optibay. There's a lot of wires there that I could accident pull off or something else. But, glad I didn't. However, I think I may have to pull of my cover again. One of the screws doesn't fit in correctly, it's halfway in (lower left corner). I scratched myself earlier so I put tape on it. Sooner or later it's going to bother me. Might as well do it now.

I just hope that this is the last FW update I need to do. And I wonder if this problem was enclosure specific. I mean the one I got was pretty cheap but it works like it should. But, probably not good enough during a process like this. I'll maybe have to look into OWC's SuperDrive's enclosure.

SayMilesAway

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Florida
Yeah, it does/did. But it wasn't as bad since everything was out already. But it's always nerve-wracking when you're removing/replacing something in the optibay. There's a lot of wires there that I could accident pull off or something else. But, glad I didn't. However, I think I may have to pull of my cover again. One of the screws doesn't fit in correctly, it's halfway in (lower left corner). I scratched myself earlier so I put tape on it. Sooner or later it's going to bother me. Might as well do it now.

I just hope that this is the last FW update I need to do. And I wonder if this problem was enclosure specific. I mean the one I got was pretty cheap but it works like it should. But, probably not good enough during a process like this. I'll maybe have to look into OWC's SuperDrive's enclosure.

I don't know if I'll do the update. Mine is not in the optibay, my stock HDD is there. Everything is fine with mine. 5,000 hours is quite a bit. I'll get something faster by that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.