Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Many years ago I was invited to a placenta-eating party held by some back-to-Mother-Earth-type people... the placenta had been in the freezer since birth and the plan for it was that it would be fried. In butter.

I made my excuses and didn't attend.

I heard later that it was OK, a little chewy but most of it was buried by a tree.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
After Tom met Katie, he also fired his sister as his publicist, and hired a completely new publicist who was more experienced and professional.

Can you tell that it's not working? :p

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
He is weirder than Michael Jackson. This is beyond weird, its sick.

I wonder if someone could kidnap them and deprogram their brains.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
njmac said:
ok, its not sick, but I'll pass! blech....

Sure? How about a nice piece of placenta paté?

kinoko%20ham%20pate.jpg

:D

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
My wife and I were watching the interview he did with Diane Sawyer when he said this, and he was clearly making a joke about some of the things that have been said about him in tabloids (like the Sun, for example).

Mind you, that's a freaky place to go for a joke. But it was pretty clear that he was kidding when he said it.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Looks tasty Blue Velvet, but this looks so much more appetizing...
yett_f3.jpg
On a more serious note, the placenta and cord blood can often be donated for use in the treatment of cancer. This sounds like a much more practical use than eating it.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I think there are better places to get my iron....like the old fashioned Popeye way.... Spinach anyone?

Attachments

• popeye.jpg
    popeye.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 64

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
yeah apparently it's super high in a lot of good nutrients, although cooking it would probably kill those, if you were to eat it, i'd say it'd have to be raw...not nice.

and to all those who think it's really weird, don't forget this is the "Sun" newspaper in England, not exactly reputable...oh, and as someone mentioned, it (placenta) is used in a lot of things, like some hair products, as is oil, and silicon etc, really good stuff that is!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So what if it's super high in nutrients? What does this have to do with eating? There's lots of things that people don't eat because it's not a part of a human's diet, just like bears don't really want to eat a human. It can, but it doesn't.

And wouldn't it be a great practical joke if Tom had a party and replaced the Jell-o/jelly with hardened placenta?

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
grapes911 said:
It's weird to a lot of us (including me), but it is more common then you think. Many cultures see the placenta a a very special organ. Some eat it, some use it as an art piece, some do other things with it. There are even entire cook books of placenta recipes.
When it's chilly outside, I use mine as a hand cozy.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Lyle said:
My wife and I were watching the interview he did with Diane Sawyer when he said this, and he was clearly making a joke about some of the things that have been said about him in tabloids (like the Sun, for example).

Mind you, that's a freaky place to go for a joke. But it was pretty clear that he was kidding when he said it.
That's good to hear.

We don't need another Jacko!

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Counterfit said:
A couple years ago, I heard about bodybuilders making placenta shakes for the protein. :eek:

OK, I'll bite. How would a bodybuilder get his hands on a placenta? Besides his wife having a baby, I mean.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
aloofman said:
OK, I'll bite. How would a bodybuilder get his hands on a placenta? Besides his wife having a baby, I mean.
You can purchase them. Not human ones, rather animal ones. Lamb placenta is one of the more common ones, if you can call purchasing a placenta common. :rolleyes:

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I want the doctor to have a plate, knife and fork ready. After the birth, serve it up hot and steamy, and to Tom and say "Okay dumbass freakazoid, eat up." And it needs to be taped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.