Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Webkit blog reports that the latest WebKit builds now support explicit animations in CSS.
CSS Animations is one of the enhancements to CSS proposed by the WebKit project that we’ve been calling CSS Effects (eg. gradients, masks, transitions). The goal is to provide properties that allow Web developers to create graphically rich content. In many cases animations are presentational, and therefore belong in the styling system. This allows developers to write declarative rules for animations, replacing lots of hard-to-maintain animation code in JavaScript.
The features are presently unique to WebKit but can be viewed by using one of the beta nightly builds or simply through your iPhone/iPod Touch. Apple has already implemented these animations, as well as 3D support, within the iPhone's mobile Safari.

Those browsing using an iPhone or a nightly Webkit build can see the sample pages in action: falling leaves (pictured), bouncing box, and pulse ("the new blink").

These features should eventually make their way into Mac OS X's Safari builds and the features have also been proposed for inclusion into the actual CSS standard. As we've previously detailed, Apple has been making efforts to push web-standard technologies possibly as a way to reduce dependance on Adobe's Flash player. The incorporation of animation into CSS could certainly threaten one of the major uses of Flash on the internet. Apple has also been investing in other core web technologies as the basis for their Mobile Me web applications.

Article Link: CSS Animation Coming to Safari, Already in iPhone. Less Dependence on Flash?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Am I missing something here but what about video? that still leaves another HUGE chunk of uses for flash. Plus if IE doesn't implement this a lot of developers won't take it into account so it will negate the point. That's why Flash is so big it solves problems with browser's poor standards.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Great. :rolleyes: Another feature that will be only implemented in some browsers and differently in all that do. Also, I have a feeling we're all going to be really sick of those animations in just a few months after they start being used commonly. (I'm already getting sick of the pulse animation, or is it just making me sick?)

jW

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Am I missing something here but what about video? that still leaves another HUGE chunk of uses for flash. Plus if IE doesn't implement this a lot of developers won't take it into account so it will negate the point. That's why Flash is so big it solves problems with browser's poor standards.

You mean this?

http://webkit.org/blog/140/html5-media-support/

Another nice feature from the HTML5 draft specification is now available in the WebKit nightly builds for Mac OS X. The new HTML5 <video> and <audio> elements add native support for embedding video and audio content in web pages.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I doubt that we'll see full support in the iPhone version of Safari anytime soon. We'll likely see in the Mac OS X Safari builds first.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

This is pretty neat but it will not do away with Flash.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I doubt that we'll see full support in the iPhone version of Safari anytime soon. We'll likely see in the Mac OS X Safari builds first.

It's in the iPhone Safari already. Click on those links from your iPhone or iPod Touch. (And read the article more carefully :) )

arn

stokessd

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Fail!

Hopefully something like adblock will be able to turn this off too. Call me old, but I don't want my web experience to be like a movie with all sorts of transitions and such, I want it to be like a book. A book with limitless pages, but a book.

Plus this does nothing to change the millions of Flash sites out there that I currently can't see on my phone.

Get off my lawn,
Sheldon

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I don't know if this will replace Flash, but...

falling leaves on my iPhone--pretty cool! Definitely effective. Doesn't seem to affect the overall speed one way or the other.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
It's in the iPhone Safari already. Click on those links from your iPhone or iPod Touch. (And read the article more carefully :) )

arn

My comment about "full" support was made because CSS animations are not yet standardized, it is a proposed enhancement. Thus in my view, we're likely to see the full support in Mac OS X Safari and then in the iPhone version after standardization into CSS.

7egend

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Flash is a thing of the past.

Flash is a thing of the past, people who have disabilities like to be able to view websites and websites composed entirely of flash are nearly impossible for them to navigate. By using CSS it allows them to view the site, and have descriptions of what is going on through their text reader etc.

Not to mention with bandwidth caps becoming rampant, I think we will see flash fade away and CSS will provided for a cleaner and better user experience in the long run.

gGGg

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Safari 4

Safari 4 Developer Preview renders the animations correctly

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Hopefully something like adblock will be able to turn this off too. Call me old, but I don't want my web experience to be like a movie with all sorts of transitions and such, I want it to be like a book. A book with limitless pages, but a book.

Plus this does nothing to change the millions of Flash sites out there that I currently can't see on my phone.

Get off my lawn,
Sheldon

Do you browse using dialup? You should. Or, you could turn off images in safari for the "book-look". :p

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
this is very good. it means that either flash gets much better, leaner, reliable or it dissappears. and with 20 million iphones/ipods supporting it already many will support this standard soon. and since it's in the css standard there will soon be a way to switch it off yet you will still be able to read the text unlike with flash.

i wonder if that also will hurt quicktime player....

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
*Sigh* If only M$ would jump on the technology wagon instead of being the trailer that the wagon has to kick and scream to pull along.

CSS3, HTML5 is gonna be great, the developers are taking their time to make sure they deliver a very solid future for the internet. Unfortunately, IE is still going to be the popular limited piece of crap that the majority of users are going to use. I wish M$ would just put Gecko or WebKit into IE as the rendering engine and then force an update. Why we're still fettered by IE6 is just beyond me...

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
It's a very good alternative to supporting Flash-CSS is better and would work extremely well.

Though, on the other hand, I could not forsee big, major sites that rely on Flash to create a version that could use CSS and be viewable on the iPhone

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
CPU load

This is QUITE cool and I'll be implementing this in my bleeding edge sites soon (80% of visitors are using Safari, WebKit or iPhone already) and is really looking forward to more experimental functionality like this.

However.. CPU load is very high. The first animation example made Safari take 95% CPU of my MacBook Pro. I guess there's some optimization left to do. Impressive like hell though.. Really cool that you can select text and images that are animated!

Eat your heat out Flash. Please die?

Scooby_Doo

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Chicago
I haven't been following the HTML5 and CSS3 specifications too closely.

If Apple implements this into official Safari builds, as it seems to have done with the iPhone, how is this any different from the Netscape vs. IE feature wars of old?

Isn't this going to hurt the industry if Apple puts it in official builds before it has been declared official by any standard specification?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
don't you just love apple apologists who think that because the iphone is too underpowered to support flash then flash is evil.... hahaha flash has some very useful functions.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
*Sigh* If only M$ would jump on the technology wagon instead of being the trailer that the wagon has to kick and scream to pull along.

I think its more like Microsoft being the "special" kid in the classroom and the standards for everyone are being lowered just so he doesn't feel as bad about himself.

CSS3, HTML5 is gonna be great, the developers are taking their time to make sure they deliver a very solid future for the internet. Unfortunately, IE is still going to be the popular limited piece of crap that the majority of users are going to use.

And for that simple reason all these great new features of HTML5/CSS3 etc are completely useless if you want a unified browser experience across all browsers - because you will always be stuck with the LCD which is, and has always been IE.

I wish M$ would just put Gecko or WebKit into IE as the rendering engine and then force an update. Why we're still fettered by IE6 is just beyond me...

I wish Microsoft would either put out a browser which #$@%ing works or would please stop #@$%ing trying. IE8 is already on RC2 and its ****** "standards compliant" mode is more broken then IE6s pos default mode.

Right now when I do any sort of coding its always 1 copy of the website for every single browser out there - Safari, Opera, Chrome, Firefox, Camino, Omniweb and whatever else I'm missing. And then I have to do a "special" version for IE7. And a "special" version for IE6. And I have a feeling that once pos IE8 comes out, the amount of work I'll have to do will increase as I'll have to make a "special" version for IE8 also.

Why the @$#% can I make something which works in every single browser from every single company. Yet then I have to do 3x more work just so my work which is 100% standards compliant, is compliant with a non standards compliant pos.

The ONLY reason why IE6 and IE in general are still so popular is - to be blunt about it - dumbass users to whom "the internet" is "the blue e on the desktop". Who don't even understand the concept of what a browser is. Who just buy whatever is in Wal-Mart that day and then click the "remind me later" button, every 5 minutes, for the next 6-7 years on the 2003 Norton Anti Virus trial that they got.

I can't even express how I wish I could kill any support I offer for IE. But with that pos having so much market share.... sigh... hard to do....

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
CSS and HTML are far more extensible now and the battle between standards and IE is the new(old) battle and it's ongoing.

Furthermore, Apple is introducing these features (which are proposed standards) in such a way that adding the features doesn't break functionality of a site if the features aren't implemented. This is easier now that CSS has separated style from content.

The real key here is how Mozilla warms up to this stuff. My guess is that it will hop on board quickly because differentiating between Firefox and IE is paramount to its continued success.

Either way, I'm glad SOMEONE is trying to push the standards forward faster and with vision. The big problem of the past was web standards used to be useless as plug-ins and features were added at 10-15x the rate of HTML improvements. That's a big part of what caused so much fracturing in the early web tech.

Performance arguments and implementation consistency will still be sticking points in getting these next bits ratified, though. That's never going away.

Edit: and yes, somebody please get Microsoft to at LEAST grab something open source and standards compliant as a BASE to IE. What a WASTE of resources. Seriously. It looks like IE8 is going to delay Windows 7... significantly. Only a very large company can make mistakes like that. That said, I don't hate Microsoft. I happen to LOVE the ribbon interface ideas... oh... rambling now... sorry. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.