Curious, how do all of you afford your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lululalalee, Jul 11, 2010.

1. lululalalee macrumors member

Please don't flame me, I am just curious how all of you are able to afford the MacBook Pro. I have been saving for a couple months and am hoping to get one in 6 months or so. Am I missing something here, are there places to buy a macbook pro cheaper than Apple or Best Buy?

Please excuse my nosiness.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

As a gift for graduating my high school class as top 10%. (don't mean to brag, but it's true!)

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

6. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

J O B. But im sure most members here have their parents buy it for them but who really will admit that?

7. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I got mine with my credit card, then paid that off with the funds from selling my 12 month old ASUS.

I plan to buy a new MBP probably every 2 years depending on how reliable this one is in 23 more months.

8. DoorMouse macrumors member

I went half/half with my parents. I get the money for my half from my job/savings.

However, i don't need to convince my parents about going in for a mac (over a windows machine) because we have always (well at least the past 20 odd years) had macs in our family- my mum says she can't work anything else :rolleyes:

9. lululalalee thread starter macrumors member

To the poster who suggested I get a job. Where did I imply that I didn't have one? I did mention I was saving for one. I was just curious because the pricing I have looked at are all around 2500 for a MBP. If my question offended you, you didn't have to post a reply. Especially not one that was bordering on rude.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I save a little each month for my big technology purchases.

For example, at $50 per month is $600 per year and is $3,000 in 5 years (my normal upgrade timeframe).

At $100 per month, that's $1,200 per year.

It adds up quickly. :)

11. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

900-1000 new or refurb low end models.
    hrmmm
    now think about that,
    go flip some burgers for 250 every 2 weeks.
    Live at home, save your money and new MBP in like 3 months?

12. lululalalee thread starter macrumors member

This is a good plan, I will try this. So far my putting aside whatever cash and change I have in my wallet has only netted me 100.

13. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I will. Went half/half. Going to pay them back for raising me for 20 years by buying them a house once I start making some bank though. Strategic consulting ftw.

14. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

15. Drudkh macrumors newbie

saved a couple hundred bucks each month from my day job (going to buy one next month). :D

16. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Same way you are doing it. We saved and bought one?

Also, the majority of posters here are adults who have solid jobs and steady incomes.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some things I like about this plan:

- Pay in cash. No interest payments.

- Works well for purchases over time. Provides a natural delay. As soon as you purchase a computer, you start saving for the next one.

- Technology is always improving. By waiting 3-5 years, you get a nice boast in performance and reduced prices.

- You choose the amount to save each month based upon how much you need and how often.

18. rkuntze macrumors member

I set aside money in my savings account for all major purchases. So when I purchase something I can pay cash for it. I also keep all my credit cards paid off. I use credit cards extensively but I only charge what I can pay off when the statement comes. If I haven't saved for it or I can't pay for it from current income I do without.:)

19. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

whenever I'm buying a new macbook I usually can get about half what they cost selling my older one and then I have a job to cover the rest of the cost.

20. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Save, and save some more. My motto is, You Don't GET, IN, Debt. Save for something you want rather than going into debt for something.

21. DMBGuru macrumors regular

I bought my white macbook in 2006 with a scholarship.. but my MBP was a gift from my mom for graduating summa cum laude/getting into graduate school.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry iPhone autocorrect changed it from "Got a job" to "Get a job". Though, that's pretty much how it works.

Get a job (or two) and save up.

23. ceshimm macrumors member

Curious,take macbook pro as an example. will you guys sell old one and buy a new one every year or u guys buy a new version every two years/three years,something like that?