Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angusslo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
call me after half year of using envy and complain about loudness of this laptop. nope, won't happen if would you bought MBP in the first place.

oh, and OSX, trackpad, better battery (envys only lasts 2 hours, tested by my friend) and of course, because it's apple: better build quality

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
OSX and the trackpad.

plus I've learned from past experiences and from other people's experiences that no matter how wonderful PC specs are, windows will cripple the system over time, it will get so bloated that things will slow down until you perform a fresh install. Now I dont know if it's any different with Windows 7 but just saying....

hypermog

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Reliability:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-asus-lenovo-computer-reliability,7364.html
Apple: Middle-of-the-road
HP: Dismal last, by far

Laptop & Notebook Service & Reliability Survey 2009
http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=242801,00.asp
Apple's overall score: 9.2 (best)
HP's overall score: 7.7 (worst)

Customersatisfied.gif

There are more surveys than this, they all seem to go similarly.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
I'm having a hard time justifying the costs of a MBP. They seriously overprice like crazy.

This Dell laptop costs the same as the cheapest 13 inch MBP, yet it outperforms the MBP i7 in every possible way.

INTEL® CORE™ i7-620M (2,66 GHZ, four THREADS, TURBO BOOST TO 3,33 GHZ, 3 MB CACHE)
Legitimate Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900) LED with TL
Black chainlink
1 year warranty
4.096 MB 1067 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2 x 2.048]
1TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Dual Hard Drive (2x 500GB)
1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
9-cel lithium-ion battery (85 Wh)

The i7 Quad core Dell laptops lost only by 30 minutes in battery life to a MBP. This Dual core i7-620M with the optional 9-cel lithium-ion battery (85 Wh) should probably offer the same battery life if not more than the MBP i7. ( This was with working with google docs )

But the resale value of a MBP is nice however. And the MBP looks better to see.

Anyway, I had set my sight on a MBP for along time and I'm buying it. But I find it rediculous how much Apple charges for this **** :rolleyes: I'm a sucker for paying it :D

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
I'm having a hard time justifying the costs of a MBP. They seriously overprice like crazy.

This Dell laptop costs the same as the cheapest 13 inch MBP, yet it outperforms the MBP i7 in every possible way.

INTEL® CORE™ i7-620M (2,66 GHZ, four THREADS, TURBO BOOST TO 3,33 GHZ, 3 MB CACHE)
Black chainlink
1 year warranty

The i7 Quad core Dell laptops lost only by 30 minutes in battery life to a MBP. This Dual core i7-620M with the optional 9-cel lithium-ion battery (85 Wh) should probably offer the same battery life if not more than the MBP i7. ( This was with working with google docs )

Anyway, I had set my sight on a MBP for along time and I'm buying it. But I find it rediculous how much Apple charges for this **** :rolleyes: I'm a sucker for paying it :D

I'm glad you pointed out the resale value.

My GF sold her MB for $730 after 2-3 years of use. She effectively paid $170 (not including the free printer) for 2-3 years of use.

My Toshiba Tecra M7 however was not the case. $2700 brand new. $650 after less than 2 years of use. I sold mine on eBay so I had fees also. Since MBs are more in demand, she sold hers on CL and made a fee-less profit.

The funny thing is that we both sold our laptops at the same time. Someone was willing to pay nearly $100 more, for a laptop worth less than mine and older.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore

Black chainlink
1 year warranty

Can't really compare an ~8lb thick laptop to a Macbook Pro. Chances are good the Dell's screen is terrible as well.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Welcome to the Mac world. You are getting ready to pay what is colloquially known as the "Apple Tax.":) More seriously, if it's any consolation, I have been happily paying the Apple Tax for 7 years despite being a cheapskate in most regards.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I will never buy a Hewlett Packard laptop. The problems I have seen with this brand are ridiculous! And HPs just doesn't "feel" good. They feel cheap*

In fact, I will only ever be buying two brands of notebooks: Apple (MacBooks, MacBook Pros) and Lenovo (ThinkPads). My next computer will probably be a MacBook Pro 15".

* Please note that I do not have experience with the Envy laptops.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Have you actually used an Envy, or are you just going by the marketing puff? Because one thing all of the reviews seem to agree on is that it has lousy battery life (whatever HP's claims), and runs very hot.

I played with one and wasn't impressed with the look and feel - I personally prefer the Elitebooks, which are solid, at least the ones I've handled, and have their own aesthetic. The Envy just came across as a cheaper feeling MPB imitation. Plus I prefer matte displays.

But it's a matter of what your priorities are. If you are after raw computing/graphics power then for the same money you can get more of that with the Envy, and if that's your preference don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I chose the MBP because of a balance of factors, rather than a single overriding criterion.

yertle

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Simple. Because of the OS and build quality. I really don't need to think about it past that. Time is money.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
O to the S to the X.

If I wanted a mobile gaming experience better than a Macbook pro can provide, and if I wanted it more than anything else, I'd consider a PC laptop.

nullptr

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
I just returned my Envy 15 and bought a MacBook Pro 15".

1) The HP Envy has a design flaw that causes a high pitch sqealing sounds in many machines. It doesn't seem to be universal but it seems quite prevalent. My machine had this problem and it was annoying the heck out of me.
2) HP's customer service is just unacceptably horrible. They outsourced all their support to India. I don't mean to offend anyone and I personally have Indian friends myself, but the Indian CSRs are just horrible. They DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. The funny part is, they have fake American accents but you can tell from how they get their grammar wrong.
3) Battery life. The Envy's battery life is OK if you attach the slice battery but it actually makes it quite heavy.
4) I like being able to walk a couple of blocks and having my computer repaired (usually no questions asked) within 24 hours which is only possible with Apple.

The following are less major reaons.
5) Build quality, aesthetics, bragging rights. The Envy's build quality is quite good but I like the feel of the MacBooks better. They're more "polished" in my opinion.

Overall, I just felt insecure with an HP.

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
I just returned my Envy 15 and bought a MacBook Pro 15".

1) The HP Envy has a design flaw that causes a high pitch sqealing sounds in many machines. It doesn't seem to be universal but it seems quite prevalent. My machine had this problem and it was annoying the heck out of me.
2) HP's customer service is just unacceptably horrible. They outsourced all

Overall, I just felt insecure with an HP.

OT but, (and Im sure it's been posted elsewhere) what is HP going to do with Palm then?
I've only used HP wide-format printers so I have little experience with their 'service'.
I can't imagine what they're going to deliver when they do conjure up a 'tablet'?

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
The thought of giving HP my money didn't even cross my mind. PC manufacturers have a long way to go before they can catch up to Apple.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I thought about going with the HP Envy, but my entire point in buying a Macbook is because I want that nice sleek design. I don't like change, but I'm so tired of dealing with an ugly laptop made of cheap material and the price of the Envy was almost the same as a MBP so I might as well just go with the Mac.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Having owned an HP laptop from a few years back, I will never own another one again. It managed to have heat issues that broke solder connections on the board a convenient one month out of its warranty period. Another friend's quite similar HP laptop build did the same thing, but two months out of warranty. Soldering the joint on the mobo fixed it again temporarily, but that kind of shoddy workmanship left a bad taste in my mouth.

With my new 2010 MBP and Applecare, I have complete confidence that I can get a solid 3-4 years out of this machine (if not more) before deciding to upgrade again. The HP didn't give me that option, as it conveniently died soon out of its warranty.

IMO, you get what you pay for, and with a MBP, you're getting a rock solid OS and quality hardware. The only reason I run Windows 7 anymore on my MBP is for my .NET development, otherwise everything else is completely on the OS X side now, and I'm not looking back.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I have basically used every Windows OS since the days of 3.11. I have yet to like one of them as much as I like Mac OS X. It's as simple as that. IMO the OS is more important than the hardware.

In regards to HP, I've own HP computers in the past and they are the only ones that have broken down on me. I will never buy another HP computer ever again.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I was afraid of little roaches crawling into the many openings and holes on the HP Envy. ;)

Yibgib

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
Another reason I would get the mac over the envy whatever is bcause apple doesn't charge extremely high amount. For the software
iWork is better than office and it's a bunch cheaper
if Microsoft made computers they would be so expensive
but I beg one day apple will make computers the same price as pc
the only problem will be that everyone would switch and mac would get viruses

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
OS X & Trackpad

I enjoy my user experience SO MUCH on OS X. Seriously.

I.LOVE.OS.X.

I. HATE. WINDOWS.

If all computers had Windows on them- I probably would save my money and find a new hobby- I'm being completely serious!

Apple's multitouch trackpad is also such an incredible part of OS X and the user experience. Steve Jobs is GENIUS!

:apple:FTW!:apple:

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I would never buy HP again. Very poor quality. I went with a Mac because of the OS and customer support as outstanding in everyway. not to mention I don't need to speak to someone in India..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.