Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Developer and Tendigi CTO Nick Lee, who previously got an Apple Watch to run Windows 95, today showed off a new project he's been working on, which allows Android to work with an iPhone using a specialized iPhone case.

As seen in the video below, Lee created a 3D printed iPhone case and outfitted it with a built-in Lemaker HiKey board, a battery pack, and other hardware so it could support a version of Android. The case plugs into an iPhone's Lightning port, turning the iPhone into a display and emulating touch events on Android. While the iPhone is able to display the Android operating system, the Android OS itself is powered by the hardware in the case.

Lee outlines the case's creation process in a detailed post on Medium, explaining that he figured out how to clone the Android Open Source Project to make a customized version of Android Marshmallow, which is what is displayed on the iPhone.

Over several design iterations and experiments with 3D printing, Lee was able to shrink the case containing the parts down to a reasonable size and perfect the connection between the case and the iPhone. The result is an relatively thick iPhone case that lets the iPhone display and control a full version of Android.

androidiphonecase-800x437.jpg

Like Windows 95 running on the Apple Watch, Lee's Android case is conceptual and not practical for real world use, but it's an interesting take on getting Android to work with an iPhone.

Article Link: Custom Built Case Allows Android to Work With an iPhone

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
Nice. Has anyone seen a way to do this, but instead of android, running a simple hdmi input? Using my iPhone as an hdmi monitor for camera work would save me a lot of space.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
There was a project to get Android running *NATIVELY* on iPhones a few years ago. It was pretty usable on the original iPhone and iPhone 3G. Barely usable on the 3GS, and as far as I can tell, never got working beyond the bootloader on the iPhone 4. It has been largely abandoned for a while now (problems getting it on newer phones,) but you can still run it on the older phones.

https://github.com/iDroid-Project

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
It's like running Windows XP on my G5 using Virtual PC in order to run iTunes 12.1.3
[doublepost=1465341989][/doublepost]Now we need to see the Photoshop side-by-side comparison tests

Reactions: Mainyehc

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Guy probably did it to put on his resume since in the real world it's absolutely worthless. Amazing brainiac though.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Still runs android faster than any droid phone out there !!

It is same freaking OS... Have you ever used Android recently. Any Android phone out there, even mid rang phone will run samiliar as iPhone if not faster.

I have Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. I also have Motorola Moto X... Android 6.0 runs very fast. I would say Android now days kills iOS any day.

On, even with monthly update from Google, none of my devices bricked... Just let you know
[doublepost=1465343783][/doublepost]
But....why

Because it would be cool...

I always wanted to run Androind on iPhone. I love iPhone hardware, but I hate iOS. I love phone, so I have to deal with iOS.

Same thing with Mac, I deleted OS C on all my Mac (Mac Mini, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air) and installed Windows 10.

Last edited:

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Developer and Tendigi CTO Nick Lee, who previously got an Apple Watch to run Windows 95, today showed off a new project he's been working on, which allows Android to run on an iPhone using a specialized iPhone case.

The result is an relatively thick iPhone case that lets the iPhone run a full version of Android.

Like Windows 95 running on the Apple Watch, Lee's Android case is conceptual and not practical for real world use, but it's an interesting take on getting Android to run on an iPhone.

I really do think this is a cool proof of concept, but let's talk semantics for a minute... Saying that the iPhone is "running Android" doesn't seem to be exactly true, the way I understand this.

What he's done is hijacked the iPhone's display and input functions and basically turned the iPhone into an (admittedly touchscreen) "Target Display Mode" device. The real Android OS resides on and is running on his added-on board which resides in the external case. This is quite a bit different (though not necessarily worse) than the emulator running Win95 on the Apple Watch.

Does this sound about right, or did I miss something?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I really do think this is a cool proof of concept, but let's talk semantics for a minute... Saying that the iPhone is "running Android" doesn't seem to be exactly true, the way I understand this.

What he's done is hijacked the iPhone's display and input functions and basically turned the iPhone into an (admittedly touchscreen) "Target Display Mode" device. The real Android OS resides on and is running on his added-on board which resides in the external case. This is quite a bit different (though not necessarily worse) than the emulator running Win95 on the Apple Watch.

Does this sound about right, or did I miss something?

exactly....nothing new here.

more click bait.

djchippi

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Ok great from a technical perspective. BUT WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO RUN ANDROID ON AN IPHONE
[doublepost=1465345373][/doublepost]Ok great from a technical perspective, but, WHY THE WOULD YOU WANT TO RUN ANDROID ON AN IPHONE.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.