Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I don't quite understand why, I know some people like the challenge. But if I wanted android on something i could go get android on something. But hey everyone has their thing and I'm happy for these guys.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
I think I need to switch to a different "rumors" website. The click-bait is real.

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
So an iPhone runs Marshmallow when most Android phones don't!

Let's be honest we've all seen/heard the numbers. Far more iDevices run newer OS versions/iterations over Android #FragmentedOSCulture :rolleyes:

I don't quite understand why, I know some people like the challenge. But if I wanted android on something i could go get android on something. But hey everyone has their thing and I'm happy for these guys.

Exactly ;)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I really do think this is a cool proof of concept, but let's talk semantics for a minute... Saying that the iPhone is "running Android" doesn't seem to be exactly true, the way I understand this.

What he's done is hijacked the iPhone's display and input functions and basically turned the iPhone into an (admittedly touchscreen) "Target Display Mode" device. The real Android OS resides on and is running on his added-on board which resides in the external case. This is quite a bit different (though not necessarily worse) than the emulator running Win95 on the Apple Watch.

Does this sound about right, or did I miss something?

This is accurate. Honestly, I worded the post the way that I did in an effort make the concept more straightforward. Yes, it's only displaying Android, but it's also feeding back touch input to the Android device to enable the touch screen, so it's not just that the iPhone is working in something like target display mode.

Given your feedback and feedback on Twitter, I've updated the post to make the wording more accurate so it's not implying Android is powered by the iPhone's hardware. Hopefully that will avoid any confusion.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
A neat simple case. This person is a genius. Give the fellow a round of applause for their creativity.

7f0bccb662b205850c0f5da998179bd1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Kr15

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hmm. Looks nice and cool.
But then, nothing much.
Yes. This is conceptual and that app would never be allowed to stay at App Store.

Rupanand

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2016
Mumbai

Developer and Tendigi CTO Nick Lee, who previously got an Apple Watch to run Windows 95, today showed off a new project he's been working on, which allows Android to work with an iPhone using a specialized iPhone case.

As seen in the video below, Lee created a 3D printed iPhone case and outfitted it with a built-in Lemaker HiKey board, a battery pack, and other hardware so it could support a version of Android. The case plugs into an iPhone's Lightning port, turning the iPhone into a display and emulating touch events on Android. While the iPhone is able to display the Android operating system, the Android OS itself is powered by the hardware in the case.

Lee outlines the case's creation process in a detailed post on Medium, explaining that he figured out how to clone the Android Open Source Project to make a customized version of Android Marshmallow, which is what is displayed on the iPhone.

Over several design iterations and experiments with 3D printing, Lee was able to shrink the case containing the parts down to a reasonable size and perfect the connection between the case and the iPhone. The result is an relatively thick iPhone case that lets the iPhone display and control a full version of Android.

androidiphonecase-800x437.jpg

Like Windows 95 running on the Apple Watch, Lee's Android case is conceptual and not practical for real world use, but it's an interesting take on getting Android to work with an iPhone.

Article Link: Custom Built Case Allows Android to Work With an iPhone
[doublepost=1465347701][/doublepost]Really! You got be kidding. Go buy a $99 android shop bar and play with it. You don't need an iPhone for that manner.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
The perfect case for MR users, that want an Android, but with an Apple logo.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Why? So he's plugging the guts of an android phone into an iPhone screen and using the display to show Android. Pointless. I can make my TV an iPhone using AirPlay. I could run a VNC client on my phone and it becomes a PC. What has been achieved here exactly?

Fishcake21

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Not bad I guess, but there is extreme lag on response time because of that.

Back to the drawing board.
[doublepost=1465353981][/doublepost]
Actually, the second useless. Did you see him put Windows 95 on an Apple Watch? What an odd thing to spend your time on..
That's a technical achivement. This is kind of since it's bare hardware hidden in a tiny case and streaming to the screen

Last edited:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Hmm. Looks nice and cool.
But then, nothing much.
Yes. This is conceptual and that app would never be allowed to stay at App Store.

Lol, what app????!
Did you read or follow ANY part of this article whatsoever? This is a hardware board, running a custom Android kernel, feeding the touch input to the iPhone via a hardware interconnect - where you got the notion that this was an "app", I'm completely baffled by.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Lol, what app????!
Did you read or follow ANY part of this article whatsoever? This is a hardware board, running a custom Android kernel, feeding the touch input to the iPhone via a hardware interconnect - where you got the notion that this was an "app", I'm completely baffled by.

Watch the video :)

OnTheZone

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
So funny everyone dissing on android, it's turned into a great os, IMO beyond iOS. But the hardware sucks and anything but nexus phones sucks, again IMO. I'd dual boot an iPhone with android but I'm a techy guy and not a fan boy to a brand.
Lol, what app????!
Did you watch the video?! He opened an app which allowed the iPhone to be used as a display for the board in the case.

Last edited:

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
My God! It is Android running like it does on a high end normal Android phone.
Button presses take a few stabs, delays in scrolling, distinct pause when swiping, dull uninspiring design and layout! All in a super thick ugly case. This guy will soon be richer than Apple.

Reactions: username:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Lol, what app????!
Oh. Then please take a note at the first few seconds of the video.
Plus, to run android, developer DOES need some sort of interface to overlap traditional home screen, then provide android user experience.
Go and see it.

Kr15

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
London
Some people may think it's worthless but I'm well excited and want one!

I've been looking into switching to android for some time now but I've built my world around iOS so it's hard (iMessages, FaceTime, iCloud Photos etc...).

I was considering getting another device but don't want to carry 2x phones in my pocket, this could be perfect solution.

If you'll ask why, just compare App Store content with Play Store.
If you have 3D printer - play store is the go, electronics engineering stuff - play store, if you are network engineer/sysadmin by profession - play store etc...
Like the other day I needed so write some NFC tags, yeah, iPhone and it's NFC is for Apple Pay only - useless!

I'm well excited!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.