CVS and Rite Aid Officially Disable Apple Pay Support At Stores Nationwide

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 27, 2014.

1. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

It was 410 reviews when I left my review last night. MXC will be a memory soon

2. tdar macrumors 6502a

The part you guys are not taking into account is that MCX's system does not use Credit Cards. It is linked to your bank account and does an ACH draft to make the payment. In today's world, that simple fact will be all it takes to kill it off. How many people have the $$ for everything they want to buy? With all the media on hacking and the hacks into "the cloud" are people going to want to give the stores their banking account data to an unknown company and allow it to be stored in the cloud?

3. Derekeys macrumors regular

this!

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

lets get a regional or area managers phone number. They are not hard to get let tell him how we feel

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. Pretty much my point in my original post. This goes for both MCX and NFC. The incentive for consumer's to adopt either has to be substantial, not a token, b/c most U.S. consumers are happy enough to swipe or, soon, stick their card in a PIN reader.

6. Irishman macrumors 68030

It's not just CVS and Rite Aid. It was started by WalMart. Best Buy and and about 30 other retailers are involved.

They want to avoid the 2%-3% credit card fees they've been paying by preventing you from using your credit card. They also want your data to market to you with more personalized mailings.

7. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

Request an Investigation of MCX

Folks,

In addition to sending your complaints to Rite-Aid and CVS corporate by email, you should email AskDOJ@usdoj.gov.

You should request an investigation into Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) which describes itself as "the first merchant-owned mobile commerce network".

According to Wikipedia:

MCX is co-owned by competing merchants with the objective of reducing the cost of transactions for all merchants. In an fair market economy banks and credit card service providers would have a fair chance of offering their services to each merchant individually. However, since these supposedly "competing" merchants are co-owners of MCX, they are acting in collusion to snuff out the banks and credit card providers (and in turn Apple Pay and Google Wallet).

It is one thing for Target to offer the "Red Card", but CurrentC is a cross-merchant "Red Card". It is one thing for Wal-Mart to have its own fleet of trucks, but if merchants got together to create a trucking service for common use in order to snuff out independent trucking services to reduce costs then they would be guilty of collusion.

Send an email to the DOJ and request an investigation of Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX). The actions of Rite-Aid and CVS (two competing entities) to actually incur costs to refuse a form of payment that they were already accepting in order to promote a yet unreleased mobile payment solution for which they are co-owners is highly suspicious and warrants an investigation into MCX. US citizens have the right to request an investigation from the DOJ to determine if indeed illegal anti-competitive practices are going on here.

An investigation will reveal if Rite-Aid and CVS were acting independently versus colluding. But the fact that they are co-owners in MCX and the fact that both reference "CurrentC" in their internal memos regarding deactivation of NFC payments, then it would seem that the proof of collusion is fairly strong with MCX acting as the intermediary enabling the collusion (in a much stronger way than Apple acted as intermediary for the publishers to fix eBook prices since MCX is an actual formal corporation owned by the merchants).

8. stewy, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

stewy macrumors regular

I think you're vastly overestimating communication in the chain of command in retail.

9. NIKKG macrumors 6502

NIKKG

Oh God, you guys are making a big deal out of nothing. Are you all that bored with your lives? Talk about first world problems. Go out to the park, spend time with some old friends or family members (not on FB) and chill out. Life is just too short for such silliness.

10. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

i'm not saying that some average joes aren't upset about this, and i'm sure SOME of them know what's going on. but what i'd bet we're witnessing is a massive circle jerk - people jumping from MR and other tech sites to the app page to leave horrible reviews. i almost guarantee that the average consumer is either unaware of the differences, or don't care. it's a pattern - lots of folks spewed vitriol at final cut pro when apple first bought it, but once those who were angry settled down and stopped leaving reviews, do you think the reviews there had any affect on people upgrading from iMovie, looking for a better editor? of course it didn't, it became one of the top apps even while it was an underperforming 'lemon' in the eyes of us who wouldn't stand for the 'downgrade' as we saw it.

people in these threads the last few days are overestimating the participatory nature of the general population of app users. which includes geriatrics and soccermoms who simply aren't privy to the modern world of tech and the negative effects it can have on their lives.

"ooh, look, i can pay at CVS with my phone by going into an app and pulling up one of those funky barcodes? how wonderful, what a world!"

11. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

You're saying cashiers don't get to talk to Corporate all the time? :O

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Oh Lord. Please actually go to law school and pass a state bar before you dispense law or legal theory. Wikipedia is not a professionally accepted legal reference and you also clearly do not understand the legal terms as they apply to the law, not Webster's Dictionary.

13. Phillyfinest89 macrumors member

14. apolloa macrumors G4

To me that sounds the same as PayPal, it links into your bank account and no one has an issue with it.
    However I don't live in Maerica so don't fully know your systems, but I do know your very slow to adopt tech sometimes, like chip and pin.
    As for the cloud, well as I said people use PayPal everyday without any problems, NFC has to prove itself still really but I don't think it be any less secure, although Apple will seriously need to never let their system be hacked or it will kill the trust in their brand.

15. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Yep...+1

16. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

17. RyanG macrumors 6502

Just..no. Also, where is 'Maerica'? Are you trying to spell the United States of America?

18. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Been using CVS for years...much closer to my house than any other drugstore and had used an NFC chipped debit card for small purchases during that time and recently used the iPhone 6 initially...secure payments, so nice...went there on Saturday and payment was denied...

We have an adult in the house who has a chronic condition requiring a prescription with monthly refils as well as young kids (who get sick from one thing or the other) getting prescriptions filled here and there throughout the year. We're a profitable customer.

I get the message CVS, loud and clear, you do not want my money.

It's one thing to have to do work to enable Apple Pay, its quite another to turn off an active payment system (NFC) and inconvenience/disenfranchise your existing customers (out of shortsighted greed of course - there's no way I'm going to link my checking/debit account (what a honeypot for security issues) as well as private purchase information for the someday payment system you're trying to protect.

I will vote with my dollars and despite the inconvenience will take all of my business to Wallgreens. Had a child get strep throat on Sunday and filled the prescription at Walgreens, who does want my money and a secure credit card based payment system.

I'll see you CVS, when you turn your NFC system (and Apple Pay) back on.

19. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

we're witnessing mega corpoprations try to stifle disruptive tech and security for the sake of the status-quo, data mining, and intrusion of privacy. maybe you find it boring but that's how we end up with things like the patriot act. who was bored then and who was raising a stink, raise your hands... oh, wow, you ALL complain about it? well, i'd say some of us have more of a right to, clearly...

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

And MCX says this information won't be stored on your phone as if storing it I someone's cloud is much better. Sorry I'm not using any system that requires my social security number, drivers license and bank account info.

21. tdar macrumors 6502a

Somehow, I bet you don't understand that those things have nothing in common. I also bet that you don't understand those decisions like you think you do. I further bet that you do not have all of the facts needed to understand them. The Bose removal was part of a lawsuit settlement so those facts will never be known. I lastly bet that you can't seem to be able to see the difference between one company making it's own decisions about what to carry in it own stores and almost every major retailer conspiring and colluding to make their own in house system the only system.

22. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

But it's gone viral on Twitter and that's more than enough

23. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

You obviously don't understand the complete picture. CVS and Rite Aid both had NFC payments, a technology that was in place for several years, and proven safe, enabled at their stores when the only payment method you could use was Google Wallet, and they felt no threat to their upcoming attempt to co-opt payments and continue to use customers' information for their own purposes.

Apple Pay is introduced, and suddenly they disable NFC payments period. Not just Apple Pay, a payment method that is more secure than Google Wallet, but Google Wallet, also.

This is nothing more than an attempt by CVS and Rite Aid to do away with competition prior to even releasing their competing payment system. A system that already has been shown to be less convenient, private and secure for the customer.

This is not about Apple, or Apple Pay. This is about a company who saw the issues perfectly, and worked to put a system in place that addressed the issues. This is about an opportunity for banks and credit card companies to reduce or eliminate fraud, and customers being able to shop knowing their data is not only more secure, but not being used by the retailer as a marketing tool.

Apple Pay was developed with the end user in mind. Unlike CurrentC, with considers the end user to be just another resource to the business.

Shrugging your shoulders about this is exactly what CVS, Rite-Aid, Best Buy, WalMart, etc want you to do. They want you to keep mindlessly walking down the chute, waiting for them to put their brand on your backside. Go ahead. I, for one will make my it very well known to these companies that they have lost my business.

Just to be clear about my feelings, if a company decides they don't want to spend the extra money to upgrade to NFC I understand it. They have to make decisions about where they spend their money. I, personally think it's stupid to spend the money to put in chip and pin terminals (something all merchants will be doing in the next year) and not go ahead and throw an NFC reader in place.

But when a company makes a decision to remove a service they previously offered just because they feel it has become a threat to a component that is not even core to their own business I view that as manipulating the system to be anti-competitive, and nefarious. I won't support it.

24. Irishman macrumors 68030

Genius point about possible collusion among these retailers!!! If these allegations capture the DOJ's attention, the bad press it could cause should make them drop currentc like a hot rock!