DA Powermac - issue with Radeon 9600

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Hi there,

I wanted to upgrade the graphics card in my venerable Powermac DA 466 MHz from the factory-installed Rage128 Pro to a Radeon 9600 (64 MB) I bought off eBay as "Tested and working".
I tried it without taping the pins - of course nothing worked.

Then I taped pins 3 and 11 carefully (on the back side only) and inserted it.

The DA chimes, boots (the hard drive does the exact same sequence of sounds as with the Rage128) but the screen remains entirely black. Of course, since I did not solder a 5V input to the pins on the card off a Molex connector, I am using only the DVI port on the card.
Putting the Rage128 back, everything works as before.

Has anyone encountered that?
The DA runs Tiger 10.4.11 and I installed the latest available ATI drivers (from 2005) I found on AMD's website (actually, I tried installing the card before and after installing those drivers).

Thanks, community.

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Has this card been flashed to a Mac ROM? If so, did you do it or was it listed like that on eBay? If not...Well, it needs to be flashed before it will work in a Mac.

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I'm guessing it's one of the early PowerMac G5 9600 cards, and maybe you didn't cover the proper pins. I would double check. The card is AGP 8x I believe, and your Digital Audio has a 4x slot.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
It’s a card with an ADC port so can’t not be a Mac card, can it?
[doublepost=1550785781][/doublepost]
I'm guessing it's one of the early PowerMac G5 9600 cards, and maybe you didn't cover the proper pins. I would double check. The card is AGP 8x I believe, and your Digital Audio has a 4x slot.
Yes, I taped both pins 3 and 11. Incorrect taping or no taping results in no startup chime or boot cycle at all actually...

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
It’s a card with an ADC port so can’t not be a Mac card, can it?
It's a Mac card for sure if it has ADC, and just to really confirm... I'm guessing the ADC and DVI ports have white plastic on the outside of the ports.

Can you please share what web resource you're getting your info from? I'm guessing it was for the MDD, but not all cards that will work in an MDD will also work in a Quicksilver or Digital Audio. I know the Geforce 6200 is one AGP card that will work in all G4 AGP towers other than the MDD.

Reactions: Project Alice

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
It's a Mac card for sure if it has ADC, and just to really confirm... I'm guessing the ADC and DVI ports have white plastic on the outside of the ports.

Can you please share what web resource you're getting your info from? I'm guessing it was for the MDD, but not all cards that will work in an MDD will also work in a Quicksilver or Digital Audio. I know the Geforce 6200 is one AGP card that will work in all G4 AGP towers other than the MDD.
Thanks a lot.
I looked up this resource:
http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11

It seems, however, like my issue isn't new...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/digital-audio-g4-wont-boot-with-radeon-9600-xt-installed.1347729/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/radeon-9600-pro-not-detected-on-power-mac-g4-da.2133563/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/g5-radeon-9600-in-a-g4-pm.297256/

Looks like some DA work with some 9600s, while some others don't. I think the "taping" is done right since the computer boots up OK (apart from the black screen).

I'll have to test the 9600 in my MDD to see if it isn;t just a dead graphics card.
Thanks for the help, always nice to see forum members responding re: problems with nearly 20-year old computers.

PS if anyone is in London I have a free iMac G3 Blueberry to donate (350 MHz, 128 MB but I have a spare 256MB to give too, needs a new PATA hard drive).

cheers