Damn you Apple and your awesome Refurb Deals!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by findwaldonow, Jun 10, 2009.

1. findwaldonow macrumors member

So, the Apple customer service line is completely swamped for obvious reasons right now and I'm waiting to change an order. I called this morning and waited for 25 minutes but I'm not mad about that.
    What I'm mad about is that I waited and waited for the updates and didn't have the patience to wait one more day. The new features in these Macbook Pros don't really wow me so I decided to check out the refurbs. I jumped at the 2.4 08 model for 1349 which I still think is a great deal. However, the 2.53 with double the RAM, Double the VRAM, a bigger Hard drive, bigger cache, etc is popping on and off of the refurb store for 100 more at 1449. This makes sense with people putting in returns to get the new ones, etc.
    It's a total pain to try to get a return processed right now but I'm doing it. I called earlier and the 2.4 is already processed to ship so I can't cancel it. However, if I wait for it, return it, get my money back, and try to order the new one I'm might be out of luck. What I've decided to do is this: I'm calling to try to just outright order the 2.53 on the same order (so that it's on the same order as my printer and I get the 100 dollar rebate), process a return for the 2.4 so that they send me shipping labels. Have two computers paid for, send the 2.4 back when they both arrive, and get my money back for the original purchase. I'm tapped for cash so I'm putting the second MBP on my credit card and paying that off when I get my money back for the first? It seems weird but does anyone foresee a problem with this plan? Money back should be no sweat? Should I insure the package I'm shipping back? What does everyone think?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Same boat as you. My 2.4 arrived today. I don't have the money to order the 2.53 or I would and return the 2.4. Oh well, enjoy your 2.53

Cheers,

3. Mezzanine224 macrumors member

Thanks for posting this. I ordered the 2.4ghz for $1,349 and had just planned up upgrading the RAM once it got here. But I saw this and promptly cancelled that and ordered the 2.53ghz. Thanks!

4. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

These boards need a "Buyer's Remorse" subforum. Every other thread is something like this.

5. findwaldonow thread starter macrumors member

I'm just a guy asking if his return sounds like it will be a pain. Further, I didn't see anything yet discussing the fact that the 2.53 is 1449 and a really awesome deal right now but it's like fishing, it's popping in and out of the store as stock does. I'm certainly not whining about getting a pre wwdc model 15 days before wwdc. Those people bother me as well.

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Ha, thanks for bringing this to my attention! I managed to get in there and cancel the order for the 2.4/2GB/$1349 and just placed a new one for the 2.53/4GB/$1449! The 2.53 wasn't in there last night when I placed my order.

7. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I can't believe the classic 2.4 and unibody 2.4 are the at the same price.:eek:

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Looks like we can select return right from the order status screen.

Cheers,

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I understand you are looking for advice, but judging from the replies it looks like you have simply brought this to the attention of others who are now buying up the limited supply of the model that you want. :( Your plan sounds simple enough if you can get through on the phone. I would beg and beg the person you get to cancel the order and make the change if there is any way possible. Best of luck.

10. findwaldonow thread starter macrumors member

Well that's the thing, isn't it? I appreciate your concern and that occurred to me but I just got off the phone and it looks like I'm good. With all the people complaining that "Awwww I should have waited for the new models!" and returning their recently purchased MBP's I think there's a pretty steady trickle of 2.53 '08 models which have as their only defect the removal from their original box and placement in a duller one.

11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Refurbs aren't just someone elses return thrown in another box... they go through a rigorous recertification process in Cupertino to make them like brand new... cosmetically and "officially." They get new serial numbers, and I'm sure the hard drives are brand new, as well as the power adapters, etc... maybe even the keyboards if they're visibly used at all. Refurbs are basically "new" machines, just hand-built in the US, not factory-built in Shanghai. Whatever needs replacing to make the machine "as new" gets replaced... so in the end it's a new machine with full warranty, only much better priced and a little in short supply at times...

That's my take, and I'm stickin' with it!

12. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

^ Yep. Every Apple computer I've ever bought except for two of them (I think I've purchased...7 now?) have been refurbs, and they've always been 100% perfect.

13. findwaldonow thread starter macrumors member

Oh that's outstanding. I thought it was just an inspection and a clean-up for the most part. I trust Apple's got them working well in any case. And 1449 for that model, which I think will do well for my purposes for a good while, is an insanely awesome deal

14. redcupr macrumors member

redcupr

I pulled a similar maneuver. Went to order the 2.4 this morning, they were all gone. Heartbroken, I went to work. Checked a couple hours later and the 2.4 was back, placed the order immediately. Then for fun checked again a few minutes later...there's the 2.53! Canceled the first order, and ordered up the 2.53. Whew!

Now the wait...it's being shipped to my parents' house in Oregon (to avoid sales tax) since I'll be there for my birthday on the 26th...this will be a very long two weeks.

15. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Thanks! I'm off to check the Refurb deals right now.

16. findwaldonow thread starter macrumors member

It makes me glad to be a creature of habit, honestly. Logically I should have stopped looking after I ordered the 2.4. Purchase made. I assumed even if the 2.53 or the 2.66 did pop up they'd be at least a few hundred dollars more and I'd be fine with the 2.4. My eyes bugged out when I saw this deal. I actually missed out on the same model with the 7200 RPM HD for the exact same price if I'm not mistaken. That was up and gone quickly. Well, now I just have to ship one back and keep the second one. Not bad.

17. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I saw them too I was resigned to get the new base 13" pro, and then noticed the 2.4 for $1350 last night. I slept on it, because of the new batteries and all.

Then when I decided to upgrade I found the 2.53. I debated then decided to pay the extra hundred, and get the extras of the 2.53.

I tried placing my order then it kicked out due to my check card limit, so when I reordered I noticed a 7200 Hd it was 100 gigs less than the 350, but I am hoping the speed gain will be worth the loss. I will just get a terabyte drive to dump on when I fill it up.

Problem is I got an automated call about unusual activity on my account I am hoping it does not hold up my order I am waiting on apple customer service as I type. I am thinking of asking about switching to day or overnight, if it hasn't already shipped

{I added this after my initial post}
    Sorry bout that I had an issue w/ my card and spotted the 7200 when It emptied my cart and I had to start over, I did a quick search and decided to sacrifice 100Gigs for speed, hope I made a good choice.

18. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'll be happy to pick it up for you...:D and check to make sure everything's perfect...

-pdxflint (who's closer than you are...:cool:;))

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Well, I moved some money around and bought the 2.53 and have initiated the return process on the 2.4 (my credit cards will glow for a few days while the return is in transit). I'm only out the $27 shipping on the 2.4 and FedEx charges for the return. So I'm out about $60 for wanted that better deal.

When you think about it, getting a faster CPU, 4GB, 320GB HD and the 512MB nvidia 9600 for $100 more is a great deal!

Cheers,

20. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Ugh, why'd you point that out! I just submitted my order for the 15" 2.53 refurb MBP to "update" my 15" MBP. I have wanted the new unibody 15" since it came out, and at that price, it was a no brainer upgrade for me.

Thanks for the heads up! Finally used my original iPhone rebate/gift card to lol.

21. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Question - Does the 2.53 model have a 7200 RPM HD?

22. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Only if you order it online.

23. buckeye17 macrumors member

On the product page it says that it is 5,400 RPM.

Edit: Are you talking about the 15.4" Macbook Pro Refurb?

24. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Yes, I'm specifically talking about the 2.53GHz MBP Refurb model that everyone seems to be arguing about.

:D

25. buckeye17 macrumors member