Damn you Apple!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckeck, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Went into the store and couldn't decide...and unchecked...so this happened.

Been using my Haswell 13" Air only for the past few months which has been great, but with a large and still growing iPhoto library and a lot of media I stream to my Apple TV's via iTunes, it would be nice to have something hooked up permanently. Was hoping to just get an updated Mini but those didn't happen.

So thought I'd try a loaded iMac to hold all the media and photos, etc...and either my Air or maybe a 13" retina, just have to test, or just continue with one laptop only being the loaded 15" rMBP and maybe pickup a basic Mini later to run a desk machine and hold iPhoto/iTunes. Decisions decisions...

[​IMG]

2. yliu macrumors regular

wow. so what are the two macbook pros for?

I don't really see how you could use three laptops...

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Umm... disposable income, much?

4. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Why don't you go donate money to a charity instead of buying all this stuff? :eek:

5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Did you guys read what I wrote? Settle down, I'm not keeping it all. Just testing out which rMBP feels best for me between 13" and 15" or if I think keeping my 13" Air and having an iMac on the desk would be a better fit.

I'll either be returning what I don't use or selling it off to friends since I was able to get a decent corp discount on everything.

----------

Just one, see above clarification.

----------

Not really, no.

6. Ifti macrumors 68000

So you've purchased 3 systems to 'test' and only intend to keep 1 at the end?
    I dont really agree with stuff like this - buying something purely to test, already knowing you will be returning an opened, and used, item, which the manufacturer now has to resell as a refurb.
    If everyone starts to do this they'll stop accepting these opened returns at some stage (some large companies, like PC World and Currys, already dont accept opened items back in store (only if purchased online)).

Im not dissing you etc, at the end of the day its whatever floats your boat.

7. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Allowing this is exactly why Apple is such a great company to deal with (among other things, but this clearly describes their attitude). I can assure you they've taken into account this happening and decided that allowing users to "test buy" without risk results in more long-term customer retention.

There's a reason Apple has such strong brand loyalty.

8. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

This right here, it's part of the reason I shop with Apple. Also, I rarely do this and I wasn't planning to get both but while I was checking out I was speaking with the Apple rep and one of the store managers and they suggested I pick up both and feel them out to save me the hassle of coming back and forth.

That said, I mentioned someone I know may pick up one of the rMBP's after I decide on which so it's likely I may not return anything, relax.

Keep in mind Apple has this policy for a reason, they know the logistics and part of it helps them stock their refurb store where their margins are still much stronger than other computer manufacturers.

9. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

For me I decided to keep the 13 MBA after trying both the 13 and 15 RMBP for a few days. Lag and stuttering still there on scaled resolutions. Unbelievable.

When the screensaver kicks on in a scaled resolution mode it's jerking around at < 5 fps and takes 1-2 seconds per character for me to enter password. :eek:

Maybe it's Mavericks, who knows...should have just planned to wait.

10. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

and your thoughts on the iMac?

11. phero macrumors member

So were the "best for retina" resolutions just as smooth in terms of framerate as the MBA? Or worse?

12. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Lag.. uh oh.

Making me want a Macbook Air now.

13. pixelatedcoffee macrumors newbie

Really want to get the 13" Retina, but these lag comments are really making me hold off. As Phero asked, is it OK on standard, best for Retina resolution? And what does the lag feel like? Is it everywhere or specific software features, i.e Mission Control? Thanks.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm wondering the same. With Iris it shouldn't lag at all in it's default res. If it does it HAS to be Mavericks.

16. pixelatedcoffee macrumors newbie

I so hope it's a software thing. I think if I were to get a 13" Retina I would like to be able to run it in a resolution that gives more usable space, so default res is one thing but I really want it to be smooth across a few different resolutions too... Here's hoping!

17. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

I got the 13 for my wife. Both her and I have been playing with it while I wait for my 15. I don't see any lag on it at all. I got her the mid range one with 8 gigs of ram and 256 ssd.

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

They suggested that to you on the hopes that you'll like it so much that you'll keep all of them.

Or maybe your kids/friends/cousins/aunt/wife/etc will beg you to keep them all and give them one.

Or they're banking on your conscience to not take advantage of businesses in this way and decide instead to give the extra machines to people you know. (see above)

They care that their sales number that month is of a certain level, on top of the generosity and customer-focused care. Never confuse salesmanship with generosity.

19. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Still on the desk at the moment, it has made the first cut. A screen improvement at this stage would have been nice though and TB2 seeing as how we're only weeks off of the MBP launch, but it's not like I need it anyways. Was thinking about a MacPro but I really am not "Pro" enough to truly need it. If there was a more gaming friendly GPU unit option for the MacPro I would definitely have waited.

Anyhow, this latest iMac gen is pretty darn powerful, and as I've stated before, the Fusion drive performance is pretty solid.

----------

The default resolutions seemed to work ok, I didn't notice anything major in those aside from the fact my $2k and near $3k 15" are running absurdly low resolutions (horrible). It looks fantastic, with enough size for my IM window, that's about it.

----------

Seems ok on standard for the most part but some people have noticed some minor lag in certain screens like Mission Control. Not really noticeable on standard but it gets very noticeable on any scaled resolution which it shouldn't.

A lot of reports do tend to make me think it's more Mavericks related than hardware, but still not sure the HD5100 or HD5200 are up to pushing the scaled resolutions all that great. Maybe third gen will do the trick, darn :mad:

----------

Exactly, and this is where the problems are very noticeable. Could certainly be Mavericks but we won't know for sure until the first few updates come out. Think I'll wait until then.

I will say this, the 13" RMBP in the highest scaled resolution was PERFECT. Wishing this was actually the default. Next gen perhaps.

----------

If you're in the native "retina" resolution you'll probably be fine. I'm referring to any scaled up resolutions.

----------

Of course not, but if they want to offer for me to take several to try I won't feel bad about returning what doesn't work out. I buy far more from Apple than I ever return anyways so I don't mind.

20. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

The native resolution on the 13" is tiny, 1280 x 800 shouldn't be suffered by anyone!

So used to 1440 x 900 now I think I'd want 1680 scaled.

21. Robster3 macrumors 68000

OP you have got off light, i got torched on here when i mentioned getting a Apple 15" refurb mind you to try out, then found a retailer with online 10% off sale and 18 months interest free, so sent the refurb back. Did exactly the same thing 3 months later with a 13" for my wife.

If Apple push their sales by telling you that you can send back no questions asked if you don't like it, then case closed.

22. flux73 macrumors 65816

As a shareholder I feel I owe you a big THANKS! :D

23. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Because the shareholder value just grew insignificantly less as refurb units generate less revenue? You must be a shareholder of another company.

24. amarcus macrumors 6502

I would like to see what happens when you step into a car dealership!

25. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

I don't agree with OP. You can test all the computers day and night at the store before you decide on which one to purchase. But this is absurd. Its abusing the system. Imagine if everyone does that. You will end up with only refurbished macs at the store. Unethical. Period.