Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amholl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
Damon reached a 4 yr/ 52mil deal with the Yankees. Why couldnt he take 12 mil less to stay with the sox. This shows how baseball is a buisness. Now the sox neeeed to get Coco Crisp. I would give marte and arroyo. And we need manny to come back this year.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
yea damon...but he stinks now/what he used to be IMO, but the yankees still think they can buy a world series....

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
!!!!!!!!!

Those damn Yankees. Always trying to buy championships.

That being said, I wish Steinbrenner owned the Phillies. At least I'd know we'd always be competitive.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
When are players going to realize that it's much better to play for a team like Boston where you'll be one of the few All-Star players intead of going to the Yankees and being just a minute part of the team when you have eight other potential All-Stars.

I hope the Yankees suck something awful again this season. And by that I mean lose in the first round of the playoffs.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Warbrain said:
When are players going to realize that it's much better to play for a team like Boston where you'll be one of the few All-Star players intead of going to the Yankees and being just a minute part of the team when you have eight other potential All-Stars.
Oh come on. If I were in his shoes I'd go to the Yankees too. On paper the Yankees are the better team. Plus, They offered much more money.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
It's not just on paper my friend, it basically a proven fact. :p Besides Everyone knows Boston Sucks, thats why everyone is jumping ship. (or wishing they could!)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Koodauw, you still have no starting pitching. Good luck.

This disgusts me. Is there NO loyalty in sports any more? I mean, I know we're talking about a lot of money, but didn't Damon develop any feeling for boston at all? We always hear about how Boston and NY players have real dislike for each other... I guess that's just a lie. It really is just all about the money.

On a related note - do Yankee fans WANT this guy? He was a huge part of the 2004 run (grand slam in game 7) and one of the main "idiots" on that team. I mean, if I were an NYY fan I'd hate Damon (like I hate David Wells, a true yankee who should never have come to boston) regardless of how good the guy is.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
QCassidy352 said:
This disgusts me. Is there NO loyalty in sports any more?
Forget the loyalty of players, what about owners? Damon is a big part of that team. Shouldn't the Sox have put out as much money as need be to keep him? It's not like they are battling a cap. At least this is how I feel about my Phils and Wagner. I'm way more pissed at the Phills for letting him go than at Wagner for signing with a division rival.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
grapes911 said:
Those damn Yankees. Always trying to buy championships.
Of course, the Yankees haven't won a World Series since Giambi signed with them. We A's fans like to call it "The Curse of the Giambino."
:p

Of course then again, the A's haven't done much in the postseason since then either...:confused:

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
I hope this does not start a turf war between New York barbers.

Attachments

• Johnny Damon.jpg
    Johnny Damon.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 378

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Humm no starting pitching?

Chacon was 7-3 with a 2.85 ERA last year,
Small Was 10-0 with a 3.20 ERA
Wang was 8-5 with a 4.20 ERA,

Throw in there Johnson, Mussina, a healthy Pavano, possibly a healthy Wright, and Ill take my chances. Thats not a bad line up my friend.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Koodauw said:
Humm no starting pitching?

Chacon was 7-3 with a 2.85 ERA last year,
Small Was 10-0 with a 3.20 ERA
Wang was 8-5 with a 4.20 ERA,

Throw in there Johnson, Mussina, a healthy Pavano, possibly a healthy Wright, and Ill take my chances. Thats not a bad line up my friend.
No Sox fan here, but...

Chacon: think he'll replicate those numbers over a whole season?
Small: see Chacon.
Wang: young, and needs to stay healthy.
Johnson: solid, but old... knees are a concern.
Mussina: solid, but he's no Mussina of the late 90's (his ERA last 4 years with BAL = 3.20, 3.49, 3.50, 3.79... his 5 years with NYY = 3.15, 4.05, 3.40, 4.59, 4.41)
Pavano: overpaid for someone who's had ONE good year (last with FLA)... a career sub-.500 pitcher.
Wright: like Pavano, needs to stay healthy... and again, he only had ONE good year (look at his stats with CLE too)

Overall, the Yankees have got 2 solid starters who are in the last stages of their career, 2 mediocre starters with health concerns, 2 starters who had career years last year, and 1 youngster with shoulder problems.

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
jesus? is that you? :eek:

Welcome to the team!

Attachments

• shirtless_johnny2_bdd.jpg
    shirtless_johnny2_bdd.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 102

Studawg7

macrumors regular
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
if you ever played baseball as a young boy and have been a big fan of baseball, youve always dreamed of playing for the yankees.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Studawg7 said:
if you ever played baseball as a young boy and have been a big fan of baseball, youve always dreamed of playing for the yankees.

eh i played baseball for 14 years, and i never wanted to be on the yankees i would have rather been executed then play for them.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Lord Blackadder said:
If Jesus played baseball I can GUARANTEE he would not play for the Yankees....;)

Duh! He'd play for the Angels :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist. (And I don't even like baseball).

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they're going to come after me hard," he told MLB.com then. "It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.