Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Regular apps don't invite copyright and trademark infringement so readily; regular apps are fashion statements. Sure, you can make a rip-off Gucci app, but what for? It's not the same reward as making a rip-off Gucci watch face.

That's silly. Opportunities for
Infringement for iPhone apps are endless. Copying trademarked characters (Nintendo, Disney, whatever), brands, etc.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Rectangular would make more sense, landscape mode rather than portrait.

The problem with too much of a landscape rectangle on a watch is that it starts digging into the back of the hand. Our phones seem to do a pretty good job being rectangles primarily looked at in portrait mode.
[doublepost=1502070519][/doublepost]
Apple has done well when following Braun designs. This is a typical Braun watch. That's what I want my smartwatch to look like with a "click bezel" for an interface. iPod demonstrated that for a tiny screen a click wheel works well.

The Apple Watch is very much a Marc Newson design, and he already has a mechanical watch company called Ikepod:

3855962_l.jpg

Solaris-01-thumb.jpg.600x400_q90.jpg

Granted, the Apple Watch does have a bit of Braun DNA, too:
braun-zeon1-rk4.png

Braun-watches-2.jpg

braun.jpg

braun-watches-0.jpg

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not to mention that round has the wonderful attribute of allowing a rotating bezel, which is quite popular with divers and pilots, two more groups that people admire.

--
And finally, I'd say that round as a shape is often more popular with jewelry anyway. E.g. I'd bet that far more pendants are roundish than squarish. And a round locket is smoother on a breast. And a round watch is simply a more pleasing shape on a wrist. ESPECIALLY when it's electronic, because people are still amazed by round displays.

In fact, I'd say rectangular smartwatches are even less fashionable than a similar real watch, because with the smartwatch, it looks like you're wearing a cheap-to-design terminal screen on your wrist.

For digital information a round or circular bezel is a dead end! Information on the display would be cut-off around the edge and compound data display and wasted light/energy.

Turning the circular bezel has 3 basic control interfaces - something the Crown already accomplishes: Left/Right/In ... maybe out.

Conrast a rectangular shape and at first you 8 basic control interfaces by touch: up/down x2 and left/right x2. Next think of 3D touch on the edges now you have another 4. You really want to have lest control interfaces on such a limited size digital computer? I didn't think so. These are potentials for Apple Watch not current.

The watch IS a terminal screen on your wrist always has always will be: they're very slow for data input, fast for readout.

Having a Phone on the wrist is NOT a new paradigm people ... Samsung has done this 3x over the past 5yrs ...yes 5 yrs.

PS: Lockets come in ALL shapes - hearts very sentimental for pictures, so you lost out on that for wearing. As long as the edges are not sharp there is comfort.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
That's silly. Opportunities for
Infringement for iPhone apps are endless. Copying trademarked characters (Nintendo, Disney, whatever), brands, etc.
Sure. My point isn't that there is no infringment on iphone apps. My point is that the flood of infringment will be greater than with apps if Apple opens up the walled garden to third party watch faces without agood system for controlling it, which Apple doesn't have yet.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I just hope there is one bigger than 43mm, it looks like a girls watch on me......

I have been wearing an S3 Frontier since April and I have to say my Apple Watch feels...dainty now.

I wouldn't mind upping the size of Apple Watch for at the very least, battery life.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's funny since people would scream if it was round because that followed Samsung. By they way, they do have a choice. Other smart watches (round ones too) work with an iPhone...

Not fully. Apple has made sure that certain core features only work with their watch.

Having a Phone on the wrist is NOT a new paradigm people ... Samsung has done this 3x over the past 5yrs ...yes 5 yrs.

Longer than that.

Here's their watch phones from 1998, 2004, 2009:

image.jpeg

It's interesting to see how the tech progresses over time. Man, that first one is only a small step up from Get Smart's shoe phone!

Granted, the Apple Watch does have a bit of Braun DNA, too:

braun.jpg

Yep, even the dot on the Apple Watch Edition crown, copies the Braun colored dot:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I highly doubt this rumor. I don't forsee the Apple Watch changing physically for Series 3. I'm for changes, but I see Apple retaining the current form factor at least through one more generation of the Apple Watch before we see a major overhaul.

One thing seems certain, Apple will retain the band port, as they executed the band switching perfectly.

Not only did they execute it to perfection, they also made it one of the best aspects of the watch and maybe it became a way better part of owning a watch than they anticipated. I for one is so invested in the bands, that if they break that part of the old-vs-new, it would be a major reason for me to not upgrade, no matter what they introduce

Reactions: 44267547

Mousesuck

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2017
So do you get mad when you see others with iPhones? It's the same thing to me. A smartwatch isn't built fashion first and I don't want it to be. It looks good but it's function is what makes me wear it. Not the look. It's an extension of my phone, not my outfit.
[doublepost=1502066528][/doublepost]
It's funny since people would scream if it was round because that followed Samsung. By they way, they do have a choice. Other smart watches (round ones too) work with an iPhone...

Obviously you didn’t read the entirety of the post you just quoted, since I specifically state that clearly there is a difference between products that you USE, like smartphones, cars and glasses of water and products that you WEAR, like outfits, sun/corrective glasses and watches...

This difference, ocurres because the products you WEAR are an important part of the creation of your individual self image (you would’t want to get out of your house and see 399 people wearing the same outfit as you, or everybody wearing the same sunglasses...whereas the products you USE, your Iphone, your car...those don’t count to your individual image and therefor you couldn’t give a **** If everyone has one equal to yours.

That is the difference between the IPhone and the Apple Watch, the difference between Product design, what you use and Fashion design, what you wear.

More than a differente design, Apple Watch needs to be deconstructed to dozens of styles and configurations because apple Watch is a product that you wear not that you use.

Reactions: kdarling

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I'm not sure I will bother upgrading to a new Apple Watch any time soon but a redesign could make me reconsider.

The option to have an always on display would be a must for me. The dull blank screen really puts me off and Samsung seems to have cracked this issue without killing battery life so I hope Apple can come up with a similar solution.

A well designed round option that can use the existing straps and bracelets would probably result in me ordering one on day one as I don't like the current rectangular design very much. I don't think it's ugly but I don't find it very stylish either. I thought owning and wearing one might make the design grow on me but a year on it still hasn't and it soon gets swapped for one of my normal watches when I don't need the extra functionality offered by the Apple Watch and want to wear something with a bit more style.

teamgibbs

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
Minnesota
I'm curious to understand just what everyone thinks Apple could do to the "Form Factor" in the first place. Other than getting slightly thinner, refining the button layout they are 100% locked in the current shaped based on how they designed the Watch/Band interface.

Future Apple watches will have improved internals and components for several more generations.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
My only real complaint with the Apple Watch design is it could be a bit thinner so it wouldn't feel so 'present' on the wrist. That desire is at odds with wanting multi-day battery life and LTE, though. Will be interesting to see what we end up getting.

Reactions: TwoBytes

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
None of the gear from my 2015 F150 fits my $50k 2000 f1250.

So, in 15 years, Apple can redesign the bands and quit making them backward compatible?

;)
[doublepost=1502114431][/doublepost]
If they do a round WATCH somehow compatible with the existing bands, that would be a solid win. Much like how some prefer the iPhone Plus vs. SE screen sizes. Let people choose what they want.

However, I still don't understand the obsession or need for a cellular chip in these watches. The last thing I need is another data plan, and my iPhone goes everywhere I go except for on a run or a bike ride, and my Series 2 with GPS solves that issue.

I suppose they could take the iPad options route - WATCH purchase with or without cellular.

I'm pretty sure they'll go the iPad options route. It would be a sales killer if they didn't.

Reactions: kdarling

MDePew24

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Ballwin, MO
It may be the same thing to you, but it's not to everyone. You might show up at a party wearing the exact same jacket as your buddy and it might be fine, because it looks good and it's function is what makes you wear it, but if your date is wearing the exact same outfit as your buddy's date, that might not go over so well. That's the idea. Watches have always offered so much choice across the industry as well as each individual watch maker, with new designs annually, that it is an individual expression as personal as jewelry. It doesn't mean all people feel that way but many do. And let's cut the hyperbole, I don't see anyone advocating to emphasize fashion over function. But there's absolutely no problem offering the Apple Watch in more choices. A round watch is not going to affect the functionality in any significant way.

People "scream" about all kinds of things they shouldn't. That's irrelevant. But I'm really interested in these other round smartwatches that will allow me to pay with Apple Pay, take calls from my phone, stream from Apple Music, connect to my iCloud account and sync with Mail and Messages. Where do I get them? ;)
Except they will have to adjust the OS for the watches based on the design.
[doublepost=1502117160][/doublepost]
Not fully. Apple has made sure that certain core features only work with their watch.

Longer than that.

View attachment 711879

It's interesting to see how the tech progresses over time. Man, that first one is only a small step up from Get Smart's shoe phone!

Yep, even the dot on the Apple Watch Edition crown, copies the Braun colored dot:

View attachment 711880
Of course not fully. That's what they do. Look at the AirPods. You can use them elsewhere but if you don't like the design, don't use them.
[doublepost=1502117321][/doublepost]
Obviously you didn’t read the entirety of the post you just quoted, since I specifically state that clearly there is a difference between products that you USE, like smartphones, cars and glasses of water and products that you WEAR, like outfits, sun/corrective glasses and watches...

This difference, ocurres because the products you WEAR are an important part of the creation of your individual self image (you would’t want to get out of your house and see 399 people wearing the same outfit as you, or everybody wearing the same sunglasses...whereas the products you USE, your Iphone, your car...those don’t count to your individual image and therefor you couldn’t give a **** If everyone has one equal to yours.

That is the difference between the IPhone and the Apple Watch, the difference between Product design, what you use and Fashion design, what you wear.

More than a differente design, Apple Watch needs to be deconstructed to dozens of styles and configurations because apple Watch is a product that you wear not that you use.
No. Don't have dozens of designs on a tech gadget like a watch. Doesn't make manufacturing sense at all. No need to get testy. They have different faces. That's efficient in changing the look.

Mousesuck

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2017
Except they will have to adjust the OS for the watches based on the design.
[doublepost=1502117160][/doublepost]
Of course not fully. That's what they do. Look at the AirPods. You can use them elsewhere but if you don't like the design, don't use them.
[doublepost=1502117321][/doublepost]
No. Don't have dozens of designs on a tech gadget like a watch. Doesn't make manufacturing sense at all. No need to get testy. They have different faces. That's efficient in changing the look.

That holds true for the market penetration of Apple Watch, but maybe It doesn’t when Apple Watch eventually has the market penetration of the Iphone.

The wrist straps don’t seam to be fashionable enough for a market of that size.

If they want to capture the entire market and sink the classic Watch market (which will always exist of course), then eventually they will probably need to sell diferente case designs at different prices and for different ocasions with the same internal hardware.

Or maybe I’m totally wrong, but something will need to change, of that I’m certain.m

Last edited:

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
My husband has been known to lean over and tap my watch to get the time.
I've actually been surprised how well the wrist raising works. When driving, i can just every so slightly rotate my wrist while still keeping a grip on the wheel and it with light up.

Reactions: StyxMaker

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

apple-watch-series-2-250x265.jpg
The third-generation Apple Watch, set to launch this fall, will have an "all-new form factor" according to Daring Fireball's John Gruber.

Gruber shared the news in a post highlighting Bloomberg's news suggesting the device will include an LTE chip.Most rumors about the third-generation Apple Watch have suggested it will be a more minor update that focuses on battery life and other under-the-hood improvements, but ahead of the launch of the Series 2 Apple Watch, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the third version would include the device's first redesign.

Though we're likely just over a month away from the debut of the third-generation Apple Watch, if it does indeed launch alongside new iPhones, we've heard very little about the device. Aside from rumors of LTE connectivity and a focus on battery, we don't know what else to expect.

If there are major design changes in the works, Apple has managed to keep them under wraps, perhaps because of all the focus on the iPhone 8 this year.

Update: Gruber updated his post to clarify that his information comes from "a little birdie" and that it might not be accurate: "That tidbit came from an unconfirmed little birdie, though, so I wouldn't bet the house on it."

Article Link: Daring Fireball: Apple Watch Series 3 to Feature 'All-New Form Factor' [Updated]

Hmm, after a year of railing against how ugly the AW was I finally succumbed and am quite used to it now. Even though I'm contradicting myself from a year ago, I really hope they don't go round. I also hope they don't make the band proprietary and/or include electronics into it as changing watch bands is at the top of my list as nice things about the AW. Oh well, unlike a phone I can see myself keeping my current AW for several years.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Longer than that.

View attachment 711879

View attachment 711880

Well done! I had known it was much longer but couldn't find the time digging on gsmarean for the watch on the Left. LMAO I actually am old enough to remember watching a few of Get Smart episodes - I don't know if those were reruns on Buffalo29 or not. Thanks for the good chuckle ... I do agree it wasn't too far from that.

Oddly enough ... I'm more surprised that both Nike+Apple have yet to get data from the shoe - stride, impact, speed and cadence data to the watch. hmmm.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've actually been surprised how well the wrist raising works. When driving, i can just every so slightly rotate my wrist while still keeping a grip on the wheel and it with light up.
I wish it worked that well when I'm mountain biking. Sometimes I have to take my hand off the bars and rotate my wrist a lot more than normal to activate the display.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
If they shrink it by a third or even just quarter I'll think about getting one. Add blood sugar monitoring (not likely, but I hear about it from time to time) and they'll have a sale regardless.

Reactions: Robin4

Billrey

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Copenhagen
Yes! I believe this is a Dieter Rams design?

Apple has done well when following Braun designs. This is a typical Braun watch. That's what I want my smartwatch to look like with a "click bezel" for an interface. iPod demonstrated that for a tiny screen a click wheel works well.

P1000853_800x534.jpg

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I don't think the Advocates of Round want the rectangular design to disappear; but rather to have it as an added option. 38mm, 42mm, and round. Maybe make the round of such a size that the 38mm fits inside it for legacy apps before they are ported to round.

Of course some apps will look better on round. Think of the fitness tracking. It's round already! And the home screen was clearly designed to work with both round and rectangular interfaces. I wouldn't be surprised if the watch bands weren't also designed with a possible round use case.

Last edited:
Reactions: tubular
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.