Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's been out for a couple of weeks, I'm no good at programming so I can't get my head around anything more advanced than fiddling with the built-in templates but it's still pretty cool.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Is this the stable version of the software that was leaked a few years ago?

I suppose it shows how long Apple take to develop a 'relatively' simple piece of software. An eye-opener to all of us non-software programmers.

This beat expires in July '07. Is this any indication as to the release date of 10.5 maybe...

Retired
May 16, 2006

I suppose it shows how long Apple take to develop a 'relatively' simple piece of software. An eye-opener to all of us non-software programmers.

This beat expires in July '07. Is this any indication as to the release date of 10.5 maybe...

I think it is safe to assume that 10.5 will be released before then.
Trials (like UB PS) often go over the time that the final product is due for release.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

A few years ago??

I did appear with the inital release of the Macbook (a year ago) IIRC.

Can't remeber hearing anything about it before then.

The software is perfectly useable in its current form ( i havent found anything wrong at all)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
A few years ago??

I did appear with the inital release of the Macbook (a year ago) IIRC.

Can't remeber hearing anything about it before then.

The software is perfectly useable in its current form ( i havent found anything wrong at all)

Less than a year ago - the MacBook came out in May.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I just made one (I've never even tried making a program before), it was incredibly easy. I would like to share it (I don't have a website), is there a way too, for free?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Cheers for that! I was about halfway through coding my own widget, this looks like it will be much, much easier...

Immediate observations:

Though user friendly, there are a lot of features I'd like to see in the final. It would be great if the layers of the widget worked more like Photoshop (i.e., that elements could be swapped between different sections). Also, if the arrows applied to moving objects, not opening and closing layer "folders" (command+arrows moves objects, those two should be flipped IMO). Also, some basic image manipulation would be nice; nothing fancy like layering or altering color or appearance, just the ability to round corners or trim images. You obviously will need Gimp or Photoshop to get your images to look the way you want them, but it would be nice to have some sort of a snap system that would snap the images to conform to your widget design.

But overall I'm definitely enjoying it. What took me a week of dissecting other widgets in BBedit and coding took me about ten minutes in Dashcode.

Now if there was just some better system of cataloging all the myriad of widgets that will be flooding the market once Leopard comes out...

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Though user friendly, there are a lot of features I'd like to see in the final. It would be great if the layers of the widget worked more like Photoshop (i.e., that elements could be swapped between different sections). Also, if the arrows applied to moving objects, not opening and closing layer "folders" (command+arrows moves objects, those two should be flipped IMO). Also, some basic image manipulation would be nice; nothing fancy like layering or altering color or appearance, just the ability to round corners or trim images. You obviously will need Gimp or Photoshop to get your images to look the way you want them, but it would be nice to have some sort of a snap system that would snap the images to conform to your widget design.

You want Dashcode Pro. If this feature of Leopard becomes popular I expect Apple will continue to upgrade it. Maybe it will get added to iLife.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I guess I would like to see a Dashcode Pro...

This is all just coming from a part-time freelance designer and slightly above amateur coder's perspective. The app itself is saving me hours and hours and hours, and I can get what I want from editing the source code once I lay it out as I want it to look. So all in all, I am pleased. And really, though those features would be nice, the amount of time they would save is pointless, because it isn't likely you'll need to be making 5 widgets a day, most people will make one or two.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Dashcode Developer Beta (for Tiger)

Apple has put up a Beta of their forthcoming Dashcode developer environment for Widgets. Dashcode will be released officially with Leopard, but seems to have been "scaled back" for Tiger compatibility.

The beta release will cease to function on July 15, 2007. It also looks like the Beta is only open to ADC members (you need to log in to get the .dmg).

Take a look:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's been out for almost a month, but there have been a bunch of posts on this in recent days. I guess Apple just started publicizing it.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Did it take freaking forever to DL????

20MB, and it has 17 hours to go!!!!! WTF??? I dont think dial up is that slow!!

Its not on my end, cuz everything else is fast,

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Cool. I didn't realise I could just insert my Apple ID, agree with stuff and become an ADC member for free.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I was so excited when I got the email. I was scared to just hand it out to everyone though.... it does say that releasing it can get you in big trouble. Anyway, glad everyone else can try it :) Maybe they can find a use for it. I havent needed to use it yet.

Arne

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Germany
I stumbled upon this when I was looking for Xcode in the ADC, in late Dezember! Where have you been MR? Busy with the iPhone?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I know absolutely nothing about coding or widgets, and I was able to create a working widget in about 5 minutes.

Dashcode is definitely impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.