DATA THAT MATTERS: Post if you have NO antenna issue *UPDATED LIST*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rabmag, Jul 14, 2010.

1. rabmag macrumors member

So far whenever a user posts that they have an antenna issue, someone always chimes in saying their iphone 4 is perfect and have no issues at all.

So, I'm asking all of you who have no issues to please post data that matters.

If you can hold the iphone 4 in a death grip manner for 30 seconds and then try to go to a website while holding the iphone in said matter and successfully load a webpage in Safari in a normal timely manner(regardless of what location you are in), then please post the following:

iPhone 4's first 5 digits of serial number:
    City & State:

What will this do?

Hopefully if there is a user in the same city or area who IS having antenna issues, perhaps you'd both be willing to meet and the user with the defective phone can try the same tests in your area. Then the user with the perfectly working phone can try the same tests in the area that the user with the defective phone is located in.

I know this is a lot of trouble, but I think this will really help shed a lot of light and hopefully unify the community in calling on Apple to do the right thing.

LOCATIONS OF USERS WITHOUT ANTENNA ISSUE:

AL, Jasper - User: maddux2005 - Serial# 83025

CA, Cupertino - User: waynema - Serial# 87025

CA, Fremont(94539) - User: sakumar - Serial# 84025

CA, Long Beach - User: Ntombi - Serial# 88022

CA, Orange County - User: vitog123 - Serial# 88022

CA, Sacramento(95842) - User: richg916 - Serial# ??????

CA, Ventura County - User: mlrollin91 - Serial# 88022

FL, Fort Pierce - User: thatisme - Serial# ??????

FL, Orlando - User: jman240 - Serial# 86025

FL, Orlando - User: rhyno45 - Serial# 87022

HI, Honolulu - User: p-rice - Serial# 84025

OH, Westerville - User: gescom - Serial# ?????

OR, Portland - User: mixedONE - Serial# 88023

MA, Boston(02115) - User: Nykwil - Serial# 85023

MA, Cambridge(02140) - User: Nykwil - Serial# 85023

MO, St Louis - User: LMMAACC - Serial# 79026

NV, Henderson - User: p-rice - Serial# 84025

WA, DuPont(98327) - User: Seattleite - Serial# 84024

WA, Vancouver - User: Alphaspida - Serial# 83026

UK, Grays, Essex. London - User: Gav2k - Serial# 88023

2. samcraig macrumors P6

the data you MIGHT get from this isn't going to do amount to anything other than more threads and more commentary. It certainly won't mean anything to Apple.

3. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

:)

This thread is probably the most common around here. Please stop.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why in the world would I want to go to all of that trouble :-(

I bought my iPhone
    It works fine
    I use it
    I'm happy

That's all I want

Not up to me to scour the countryside to meet with other users to test their phone and crusade for Apple

5. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

can confirm it works perfect, I CANT get it to drop below 2 bars......

jasper Alabama

6. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I have no problems at all with death grip.
    I have had 2 iPhone 4s- neither had the issue.

why 2? Because I DO have a problem with prox sensor and replaced my first one.

I don't know if the new phone has the same prox sensor problem yet.

My phones were week 24 and week 26. Both serials start with 8.

I will tell you that my theory is that if you have any kind of moisture or sweat on your palms, your hands are better conductors. I think that ALL iPhones have this death grip problem but only if the palm moisture is high. I happen to have very dry (!) palms so I think it is me and not the phones that result in no problems.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Happy people post less than unhappy people. Any issue with ANY Apple device seems much more prevalent than it is due to this fact. If you were to believe the rants, EVERY Apple product released has been an utter disappointment or a lemon. If so, Apple would have been out of business years ago. The iP4 has issues, but it is still a MINORITY of the units shipped.

Your info is useless and will be incomplete. Apple will get info on affected units by the phones returned. They will assume the issues are not important to, or not happening to the phones not returned. I doubt any sleuthing you do will result in an epiphany.

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Dropped to 1 bar but could still load web pages without any loss of speed (wifi turned off of course).

Near Orlando, FL. Always have excellent AT&T signal here. For some reason its amazing all around Central Florida for me, always has been.

same for the wife's phone.

86025 for her too.

9. rabmag thread starter macrumors member

I'm updating the original post with information that others post.

If you're not interested in meeting with others or don't have the time or whatever, then please just skip over this post.

So far, two people(one with antenna issue, one without), haven't seem to have actually met and try this together in their respective areas.

Anyhow...if you don't want to contribute then don't post.

Otherwise, please do post the information and I will update the original thread.

Again, just asking for two things -

iPhone's first 5 digits of serial number:
    City & State:

10. monarchy macrumors member

I dont know about you people but Im starting to notice that the my antenna issue only happens in certain locations.

When Im at home my antenna doesn't lose a bar when I try to do the death grip. I have perfect 3G coverage here as well.

Now when I go to work which is about 3 miles from my house. Whenever I do the death grip it will gradually go down but not down past 2 bars.

Im not sure exactly if it depends on the building structure or geographical location why this seems to happen. This seems to be my experience with the antenna issue.

11. Stay Tuned macrumors member

12. rabmag thread starter macrumors member

This is pretty much my experience. I live in a smaller town and certain parts I can't make it drop bars, nor can I stifle data transfer by holding it in the death grip manner. Yet in other places, I reproduce signal loss and stifle data transfer. Haven't had a dropped call, though.

Funny thing...one area with 3 bars is perfect. Yet another area with 5 bars I can reproduce all the problems. It must be the frequency thing like someone said.

13. rabmag thread starter macrumors member

I never said it was scientific nor did I say it was going to be of any use to Apple.

What I DID say is that I think it will shed light on the issue and hopefully will unify the community better.

Some people keep returning their phones, while others seem to think the issue doesn't exist at all. These tests will hopefully just further give evidence that there both phones with and without the issues are in fact made equal and are simply experiencing or not experiencing the issue due to location and location alone.

Of course, it takes the willingness and compliance of those who haven't experienced the "antenna issue".

14. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

My wife and I have the new iPhone 4's and neither of us can recreate the issue people have countlessly described or posted on Youtube. How many phones have Apple sold so far? If this was a possible manufacturing defect that hypothetically hit 1 or 2% of the phones what number would be looking at?

15. Seattleite macrumors member

Seattleite

No antenna issues here!

Serial # 84024
    Zip code: 98327

16. sakumar macrumors newbie

I can't reproduce the "death grip" problem. I got my iPhone 4 on 6/23.

I do have a bumper (got it a day or two after receiving the iPhone), but I remove it before I try the "death grip" experiment. I haven't seen the problem.

Serial #: 84025
    Zip: 94539

17. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

What he said....

18. Chimpware macrumors regular

Anyone who cannot reproduce the issue is not holding it right.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Uk o2

No issues with either the light sensor or the antenna!

20. richg916 macrumors regular

I have 2 iPhone 4's and have NO... I repeat NO ... absolutely no.. friggin' problems with my signal. AT ALL!!!!!:D:D:D:D (and yes I have tried to reproduce to issue, but it wont do it)

Clear enough:D

zip 95842

21. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Too much work. My iPhone as well as my girlfriend's and a handful of my coworks do not have any of the issues that are whined about on these forums.

22. ryhno45 macrumors regular

I've got a good one here.

Orlando, FL
    Iphone 32GB

Ordered through AT&T on Wednesday, July, 7 and received Monday, July, 12.

I tried the death grip at a few locations, mainly 3 that are at least 10 miles apart from each other. No reduction of bars as well as slow-down of internet service. FYI, I do not have a case on it, just incase anyone would like to know,:p.

I do have trouble seeing the proximity sensor, but it functions well and for the amount of time I had it, I did not have any accidental hang-up/mute/etc.

I also took a few pictures in different lighting situations and did not see any noticeable "green blob."

I would post proof, but the truth is that I am very lazy and hopefully someone else will entertain you all as far as proof. (But if no one else does, then I'd gladly do it.)

23. rabmag thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! Updated the list

Gav2k, would you mind stating what city?

sakumar and richg916, I'm in Napa and can reproduce the problem. I wonder if your phones could reproduce the problem in my town as well???

24. rabmag thread starter macrumors member

rhyno45...if you are lazy, perhaps it might be too much trouble for you to meet someone with the antenna issue in your area :)

Interesting, though...two people from Orlando who can't reproduce the issue.

Is there anyone in Orlando on this forum who IS experiencing the issue? I'd be curious to know what frequency it is operating on in the area.