Dating advice: Where do you meet people?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rican, Mar 28, 2015.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

I feel like i'm ready to come back into the dating scene. But, now a days with all these apps to easily access hook-ups, other than that, where do you think you can meet people?

Young or old.. I am in my late-twenties.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As a newbie, this is your second post on a tech forum which most of the members joined because of their interest in Apple products, and you ask for dating advice?

I am not often lost for words.

3. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

Um... :rolleyes: I'm just scrolling through and contributing - just figured i'd add a thought in here.

4. TSE macrumors 68030

Lots of MacRumors babes here. :cool:

But honestly, find them in clubs and activities you do. Like Japanese woodworking? Take a Japanese woodworking class somewhere and meet people there. Like volunteering? Volunteer in places or join an organization and volunteer your heart out. Like cooking? Take a cooking class.

Find something you are passionate about and enjoy the hell out of, and you will meet people. And if you don't, you are still doing something you love and enjoy.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

A great second thread for a newbie. I am assuming you're a male?

Finding dates in a place with a shared common interest is a good start. I met my current girlfriend through competitive swimming. We've been together for a few years now.

Yoga class is also an excellent place. The proportion male:female is in your favor, assuming that's your preference. ;) :D

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Interweb. I met my wife through friends, but I met a few people from the interweb 8 years ago and all of them very nice, just didn't work out.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Just be open and positive. Go to theatre, movies, gym, clubs etc. Enjoy yourself, the opportunity will present itself.

----------

Indeed. :D
    There are times when your virtual tolerance is tried. ;)

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I never met a girl in a bar or online that I'd want to have a lasting relationship with. All the girls I've met over the past 45 years were in a supermarket, public swimming pool, or just in a park somewhere, on the street, etc. My opinion is someone who goes to a bar or online usually will be disappointed.in the end. Been there, done that many times in my life...

9. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

It's a great idea, but it seems i have weird hobbies because i've yet to meet a woman that would be interested in what i enjoy doing. Like driving fast cars on roads like these, collecting watches, plus i'm an audiophile (i never seen a woman at my local hifi dealer lol)

Well, at least Tinder is popular here...:(

10. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

With all the social apps, dating sites, and hook-up apps, it's seemingly tough to find a date... Maybe i'll get involved in something and see what happens.

hmm.

11. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I would suggest maybe looking into adopting a doggie . It's a great conversation starter, when a guy is walking with a cute doggy. You can go to dog parks, and meet all kinds of girls with their dogs, who are relaxed and just having fun. You can ask for dog tips, or even help with leash training, anything. Take puppy classes, etc. Lots of people are doing that as well and they are fun. I'm only suggesting this, if your prepared and willing to give your pooch the love and companionship it deserves. Rescue groups are also one of the best places to find a canine buddy. Research dogs, think it through. There are not many things sexier (IMO) than a guy taking care of and loving his 4 legged buddy. Bars and clubs are fun, but a lot of people put on an act, drink too much to see who they really are. Parks and hobbies are a great way to meet girls. Good luck

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

Except you look insanely desperate/creepy if you don't seem committed to actually doing yoga and women smell desperation from a mile away. Plus if you're horrible at it, you'll seem desperate and incompetent. Very attractive combination.

---

I definitely second putting yourself out there doing something you either enjoy doing or want to learn more about. I enjoy volunteering and I've met a few girls that way. If you always wanted to learn French, maybe start with Rosetta Stone or a free online tool like Duolingo and then join a local Meet Up speaking group. The best thing is to not really try so hard or worry so much and things tend to work themselves out in the end.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I apprecite that you're trying to help, that is a really bad reason to adopt a dog.

----------

Agreed. As a general rule, don't do something just because you think you can use it to meet women.

14. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I think I was very clear doing research about dog ownership , loving and raising it and training classes. I'm mean give me a break, that is why I brought the various obligations up to begin with. I mentioned all those things in my post, IF you read the whole thing. I know well of what I speak .
    There is no reason to play thought police, I covered the bases fairly well I think. There was way more to my post than, Get a dog, meet chicks. Give me a break..

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Landfills, empty parking lots at night, gas stations. All good places in my experience, very friendly people there.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Amen to that. Agreed. Agree completely. Whole heartedly. Perhaps, even…..passionately.

Taking up a hobby or interest in order to meet women is missing the point, somewhat. To my mind, the only real reason to take up a new hobby or interest is if this is something you would like to do, learn, spend time at.

Now, it is more than likely that you will meet people with a similar interest and the fact of the shared interest should make for - at the very least - an enjoyable conversation and - perhaps - coffee or two. Don't start something of this sort to get dates. Start a new class, or a new hobby because that is something that interests you, and you might get to meet interesting people with a similar interest.

Juanm, I have to say that I like the way your mind works when addressing such topics.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Disagreement is not thought policing.

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I do hot yoga and it certainly is a good place to meet girls if they're into screaming, uncoordinated, hyperventilating men with sweat rings around their arm pits and crotch while flopping around in a fart cloud on sweat saturated mats.

I can't even do child pose without pain.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

20. Scepticalscribe, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, what can I say? Perhaps your local hifi dealer may not cultivate an atmosphere where female customers may feel particularly welcomed.

Personally, when I frequent (high end) hifi dealers, I generally wait until the young male customers drift away elsewhere before seeking the attention of the staff.

Anyway, what about cultivating a few hobbies that are, perhaps, a little less 'weird'?

No, but the post might have implied that one should get a dog to facilitate meeting women. Get a dog because you want a dog, and for no other reason. Take up French, Mandarin Chinese, or cooking because you want to learn French, Mandarin Chinese, or cooking not because you want to meet women. Learn skills, become proficient in them, because they are interesting to know. This, in turn, might make you - or the OP - interesting to know.

You know - and this may come as an enormous surprise, but women are people, too.

If you start by seeing women as people, with personalities, interests, rather than simply as potential dates, you may find the art of conversation over coffee - and whatever else may fall consequent to that - somewhat less daunting.

Very good post. I'm laughing reading it.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You are either new to forums, or perhaps a bit too sensitive. I'm not playing "thought police" by disagreeing with your point any more than you're being thought police disagreeing with mine.

Getting a dog to meet women is the wrong reason to get a dog. Get a dog because you want the dog. Either way you'll meet women, as they make up half of the world's population. I run into them everywhere I go.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Perhaps the beginners class might be the good place to start? If you have no internest in yoga then it's probably not a good idea anyways. Age and athletic ability should have nothing to do with Yoga technically. If you're that self conscious though, which is fair, it may not be a good idea. If you're a 50 year old guy trying to pickup a 24 year old girl, good luck.

I'm a strong believer in the harder you try/the more you think about something like this, the harder it is. Relationships are somewhat spontaneous but more importantly natural.

23. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I actually met my current BF through Facebook.

In the past though, it happened to be with people I worked with.

24. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Hmmm, the 24 year olds seem to like it when I bust into my Standing Bow or Triangle :D

----------

Hahaha :D

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

OP managed to get banned after 7 posts. Might that be a record?

----------

I might add that the genders are also realtively evenly distributed.
    One would have to make quite an effort not to run into women.
    Maybe the OP lives in a monastry or Saudi Arabia. We will never know.