Daylight Saving Time

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I liked this post better:

"I don't mind. I actually like when it's bright in the morning when I leave home. I also like the dark too though.

:confused:"

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wish it would stay DST all the time. It's depressing when it starts to get dark really early. I know it would anyway, but it would at least keep it light an hour later. Plus I don't like the sun interrupting my sleep, I am a college student after all.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Which post? ;)

Agreed, it takes the fun out of winter! :mad:

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'd rather not have DST personally, just seems to screw up my internal clock twice a year.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Daylight losing time

I don't like the autumn change either. Every year I wish it could be left with the summer time. As if winter needs to be made more depressing by having fewer useable daylight hours.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Alternatively we could compress daylight hours and stretch out evening hours. It'd be easily done too. Instead of there being 60 minutes in 1 hour, we have 45. That way we can see 9am-6pm with full daylight. Then have 90 mins in an hour for the evenings. The exact moment of the day that you wish was a little more drawn out and relaxing.

I don't claim to be a maths or socioeconomic genius, but I'd bet my bottom pound that it'd work.

9. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

So how exactly would that work on a clock? Let me see, it wouldn't. Retarded idea of the century.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You should learn to enjoy the unique qualities of all the seasons. :)

Wouldn't be that hard, you would just have to change the amount of seconds in a minute, but then that wouldn't change anything.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, if I'm at home in northern Europe, I find the first Monday after the clocks go back to be - possibly - the single most depressing day in the entire year. On that day, there is the doleful awareness that not only have the clocks gone back, and it's dark early, but that it will take a further a further four months (two to December 21, and a further two to get back to where you are on Oct 31) just to be back where you are on that day. My heart sinks into my boots on that day, and I can honestly say it is one of the bleakest days in the year for me, just contemplating what is ahead. Okay, one can look forward to spring.......

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just wish we would stick with one. I hate the few days after the switch.

13. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Let's just split the difference, move back half an hour and leave it there.

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Just get up earlier in the morning ?

Anyway, time doesn't actually change, you don't get more "daylight" or less "dark" depending on the way you represent the timezone.

Daylight is lessened by our relative position to the sun and the Earth's axis of rotation. Messing with the human representation of time doesn't change that. It's all just in your heads.

Just use GMT time for everything, that way you keep the same hours all year round.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You must be a Newfie? ;)

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I hate DST. Ben Franklin supposedly put it forth as a joke. Pity no one laughed it off as such...

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Relax, I thought it would have been easy to tell I wasn't serious.

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

19. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The USA does it this Saturday.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Easier said than done. I'm a native Californian living in England. It's not an easy adjustment. It can be very gloomy here and I have an implacable hatred of the cold. I'm getting a lot better about it all actually but I think I'll always struggle with British winters. I adore autumn though, particularly in the leafy areas of London. Beautiful!

You're not telling me anything I don't already know. And there is no "just get up earlier" when we're talking about my personal preference for having daylight hours in the evening. I can't exactly get things done at 7am when businesses are closed and I may not want to go after dark. (Which is why I specifically said "useable daylight hours") And Okaaaaay, suuuuure, I can force my clocks to remain on British summer time but that's not very helpful when no one else is doing that. Maybe you could think things through a little more before making assumptions and acting like there's such a simple solution.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ours used to as well, but then the U.S.A. did this .....

:(

22. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Daylight savings time or not "Doing things after dark" in winter is a fact of life. Let's face it, it gets dark around 4 P.M. at EST, that's 5 P.M. at EDT. So you can do everything between 4 and 5 if we kept everyone on EDT ? :rolleyes:

Again, all in your heads guys. In winter, I get to work and its dark in the morning and when I leave work it's dark again. 1 hour here or there is not changing that simple fact. That's just how winter is. Learn to enjoy all the other pleasures of winters (skiing, the holidays, the warmth of a nice home after a few hours outside in the snow with the kids) instead of dwelling on your lack of vitamin D.

23. Mac'nCheese, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Its not all in our heads and we aren't dwelling or AHEM, losing any sleep over it. Its called a conversation and its no big deal. I personally do try enjoy the winter and try to get the kids on the slopes as much as possible. All things being equal, I simply would prefer to have that extra hour of light after school so the kids can stay out and play more. You can always bundle them up more if its cold but once its dark, most parents want their kids inside.

24. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You Californians love to complain about the weather here in NZ too.