Daylight Savings Time is almost here!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by moonman239, Mar 3, 2015.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

2. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

YES! More light in the evening!

Since I am not an atomic clock I do not even feel time chages. Even if I did, for what, one night?

3. kds1 Suspended

kds1

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will be nice to have light in the evening, but I'm still not getting spring fever - we're too buried in snow here in Boston and the temps haven't gotten beyond freezing :cool:

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Already the actual quality of light is improving - I have noticed that for the past fortnight. And the gradually increasing length of the evenings is also noticeable, and most welcome in this corner of Northern Europe.

But yes, I am looking to Daylight Saving Time, although this winter is lingering on long and late.

6. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm glad Congress extended DST a few years ago. It makes life a little happier.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wish we would just pick one time and be done with it. I hate changing times twice a year.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

CGP Grey is one of my favorites. All his videos are great.

10. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Love DST, as that means come summer, dusk doesn't arrive until after 9:30 p.m. More time to get out on the water and play!

11. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

We move our clocks ahead 8 hours, I mean, if you're going to change them, make it really count.

12. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

DST is dumb. The days are exactly the same it makes no difference. Growing up in Arizona, which doesn't change times, we managed juuuuuust fine.

When told the reason for daylight savings time, the Old Indian said "only the government could believe if you cut a foot off the top of the blanket, sew it to the bottom, you would have a longer blanket"

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's 70 degrees out and thunderstorming in my neck of the woods. :cool:

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yay less sleep. This is what I look forward too. -_-

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

As far as I dislike losing an hour of sleep, I've never really understood the venom with which many people attack Daylight Savings Time.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's a relic of the past where a majority of people worked on farms and needed as much daylight as possible.

The latest excuses to keep it are energy savings, but at best, it provides negligible energy savings and at worst, it ends up forcing us to use more energy.

18. G4er? macrumors 6502a

For those that really want more daylight after they get off of work find a job where you get off at 4 PM instead of 5 PM. Leave the rest of us alone.

My theory is it is the restaurant, movie and outdoor recreation industries that lobbied Congress to extend DST.

What do you do with more daylight?
    Go do something. Go to a movie, go to the lake, go out to eat. That takes gas to drive everywhere. It certainly isn't saving energy. All it does is make you part with more of your money.

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, I'm aware of that. Whether it goes or stays just never bothered me that much, in the end. Obviously I'm in a rather small minority there. Everyone else seems to have strong opinions on it!:D

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You're not the only one. I like the fact that it gets darker later. Makes it feel more like summer to me. But even if that weren't the case, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

21. natsinicky macrumors member

I think it is mainly a pain in the neck, but it would be too hard to change it. I don't think it ever would change

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

23. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It was 79/80 here, partly cloudy, some sun ... we went to the beach :D

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Ah, Florida.

We're in the schizo season up here. That buffer between winter and spring where the weather can't make up its mind, and takes on characteristics of both. Last week, we got a foot of snow. Most we've had in years. It melted in two days, when the temps shot up into the high 50's, mid 60's, peaking today in the low 70's. Some flowers started popping out in my front yard because of it.

Tomorrow it's gonna be 35 for the high, and the rain we're getting from today's thunderstorms are going to freeze the roads. After that, it shoots up into the high 50's, low 60's again for the next week.

It's messed up, man. Messed. Up.