Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
For those that really want more daylight after they get off of work find a job where you get off at 4 PM instead of 5 PM. Leave the rest of us alone.

My theory is it is the restaurant, movie and outdoor recreation industries that lobbied Congress to extend DST.

What do you do with more daylight?
Go do something. Go to a movie, go to the lake, go out to eat. That takes gas to drive everywhere. It certainly isn't saving energy. All it does is make you part with more of your money.

Doesn't take any extra gas where I live. Why don't you just enjoy the extra light and summer nights in your backyard? Have a BBQ.

----------

DST is dumb. The days are exactly the same it makes no difference. Growing up in Arizona, which doesn't change times, we managed juuuuuust fine.

When told the reason for daylight savings time, the Old Indian said "only the government could believe if you cut a foot off the top of the blanket, sew it to the bottom, you would have a longer blanket"

Of corse days are the same length. It's about having more light in the evening. I love DST.

----------

It's 70 degrees out and thunderstorming in my neck of the woods. :cool:

Where is that?

----------

I wish we would just pick one time and be done with it. I hate changing times twice a year.

I'd love to keep DST year-round. However, that would mean darker mornings in late fall and winter. I'd be fine with that. I'd rather have more light at the end of the day then having it get dark by 4:45/5:00.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
I agree 100%.
And we have to do it, becuase a New Zealand entomologist wanted to collect more insects in daylight in his after-work hours...

I guess that we New Zealanders have to accept that. I suppose you'll want to blame us for giving women the vote and for the eight hour working day too.
We'll be going back the other way in a couple of weeks.

KGB:D

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The economic advantage may be debatable, but I'm happier and more active during DST. Have a heart for us in the Northeast!

Just set an alarm and wake up an hour earlier throughout the rest of the year and you'll accomplish the same thing.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
For those that really want more daylight after they get off of work find a job where you get off at 4 PM instead of 5 PM. Leave the rest of us alone.

I doubt that many people have such control over the hours they work. I like longer light evening any time of the year. However, the winter months are a lost cause in that regard as it will still be dark before six pm.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
While I will miss my hour of sleep (usually just sleep in an extra hour) I am very much looking forward to this. I like being able to get home and still have day light out. Sucks going into work and coming home from work when it is dark on both ends. Feel like I have completely missed a day!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Agreed. Going into work in the dark and coming home in the dark blows.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, my body woke up at 5:00am, but the clock said 6:00pm, so I guess I'm on DST. Its nice to have the sunlight later in the day, but right now having it dark in the morning kind of bites.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I've always prefered the extra light in the evening.

Start your own business. Then you get to set the working hours. In the winter, start early and end early; then you'll have more daylight time in the "evening". Given that there are fewer hours when the sun is actually out, you'll be going to work at 3 or 4 AM.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Start your own business. Then you get to set the working hours. In the winter, start early and end early; then you'll have more daylight time in the "evening". Given that there are fewer hours when the sun is actually out, you'll be going to work at 3 or 4 AM.

I don't begrudge you an opinion on this matter.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I've always prefered the extra light in the evening.

I've heard this both ways. I prefer the extra light in the morning honestly, but some people say that like it being dark in the morning because it feels like they're being early. Placebo if you ask me :rolleyes:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I've always said we should just split the difference setting the clocks ahead 30 minutes and make that our new Standard time. It would give some benefit in the summer when the days are long and would still help ensure it isn't too dark in the winter mornings.

There is a reason we have to set things back an hour for 4 months in the winter. If you live on the western edge of a time zone the sun wouldn't come up until 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
DST is dumb. The days are exactly the same it makes no difference. Growing up in Arizona, which doesn't change times, we managed juuuuuust fine.

When told the reason for daylight savings time, the Old Indian said "only the government could believe if you cut a foot off the top of the blanket, sew it to the bottom, you would have a longer blanket"

It does make a difference if the reasons are important to you. 1.More daylight during work hours, specifically in the morning. 2.Not sending children to school in the dark. 3.So farmers can get an earlier start. Franklin thought it saved energy in the work place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.