Dead Space - light SPOILERS lie ahead

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by barr08, Oct 15, 2008.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Thinking of picking this game up. Has anyone played it? Bioshock is one of my fav games, so I'm thinking this would be a good purchase.

Arstech review

2. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I've not played it, but I'll be picking it up soon. It looks like a mix of Bioshock, a much more creepy RE4, and space. That's just awesome.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm getting my copy for the PC as soon as Amazon ships it in a few days for $46.

The 12 hour average playtime bothers me, but I won't fret about it, if this game can deliver on truly being scary while conveying a really immersive story.

BioShock... :( Blah... Only a spin off, think happy thoughts. la la la la la la

RE4 was a bit creepy in the labs for me -- this area reminded me of one part of System Shock somewhat.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its a good game...I've been playing it a day now and the story is quite interesting. The game delivers on atmosphere...theres just something scary about big dark space ship with a central computer with a womans voice.

I love how theres no HUD and all the menus immerse you into the world....and the physics aren't bad as well.

Isaac(the main character) controls just like any other character in a TPS and the tools(weapons) feels powerful/satisfying. The monsters are very aggressive and they will attack you from every side so just be ready for the bombardment. The dismembering of body parts is implemented well and usually responsive to where you aim your weapon.

Overall I give it 8.5

This game has surpassed RE in scare tactics.....RE lost it a long time ago.

Bless

5. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I picked it up after work and played it for a good while yesterday, and have a few impressions.

First, let me preface. Three of my favorite games of the last few years are Bioshock, Gears of War and RE4, and this game shows strong signs of all three. The atmosphere is creepy and has a grounded view of the future like Bioshock, the graphics and blood are similar to the cinematic visuals of GOW, and the general feeling of uneasiness throughout the game that made RE4 great follows you around wherever you go on the big, planet-crushing space ship. You can really see where the best parts of these games show through, and the developers did nothing to hide it. At first, that bothered me a little bit, but I decided if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

This is another one of the things I was going to mention first and foremost. Something I loved about Bioshock was how it seemed more like an intricate movie than it did a game, and having no HUD really adds to this feeling in DS. In addition, you really feel confined by what you can see when you look around - its like you are actually Isaac. While this isn't neccesarily conducive to staying alive, it creates a great, realistic feeling of hopelessness. A feeling that the next corner you turn could be your last - and this feeling seems to last throughout the game. I am playing on normal difficulty (the middle one), and the game does a good job of being challenging, but no area is too hard to beat on the scond or third try. I predict that as you progress farther through the game, it gets harder to stay alive. Fortunately, there are lots of save points, and if you die, you often start somewhere after your last save point, closer to where you were when you died, which is convinient.

I also like how there are a variety of things you can do to kill enemies/solve puzzles. Obviously, you can shoot guns, but you can also use telekenisis to move and shoot objects/body parts, and you can use stasis (I think thats what its called) to slow objects or enemies. The melee attacks are satisfying and accurately effective - you won't kill a lot of baddies just pistol whipping. There is a great mvoe like the curb stomp from Gears that is super satisfying to finish an enemy off.

The graphics are beautiful. I bought this game not only because it looked awesome, but also because I needed a new game that looked like it coul really display what my new 1080p LCD HDTV could really do, and in this category, it shines. The characters are realistic, the textures are beautiful, and the effects (like smoke, fire, and blood) look like they are actually happening to the TV. Graphically, this game delivers by the boatload.

One thing I didn't like is the ammount of back-tracking you have to do. Realistically, this makes sense - you would have to do some back and forth to survive the ship and do the tasks Isaac needs to do - but its just a little boring. Something I loved about Gears was how linear it was, you knew exactly where to go, and everything was fresh and new.

All in all, I would say go buy this game and play it, especially if you like survival-horror games that keep you coming back for more. I'm only 45 mins into the game, but right now I would give it an 8.5/10. For reference, on my personal scale, Bioshock, Gears and RE4 would all be in the 9.0 - 9.5 range. I bet as the game goes on, however, my rating for DS will increase.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wasn't going to buy this, but temptation has hit me and it has now been ordered :)

7. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

You won't be sorry MRU. I am sitting here at work counting the minutes until I can go home and fire this game up again - and that never happens to me with VGs.

I forgot to mention one thing that I really liked about this game. In most games that you kill people, you hit an enemy a certain ammount of times, and then he dies. You usually know for sure by the way the body looks that the baddie is dead. In DS, however, sometimes an enemy will look dead for a moment, but then start crawling towards you for another go at it. I like this a lot, as it seems more realistic to me. Not every enemy would die the same way in RL, and you wouldn't always know if they were actually dead.

I also want to note the music. The soundtrack is phenomenal, and has a uniqueness that I can't even put into words (believe me, I just tried!). It adds so much to the atmosphere, and the sound effects are vivid and haunting.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I just can't believe this is an EA title :eek: That's the biggest shock :)

Can't wait to get my hands on it now. Thanks barr08 :)

9. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I don't know if anyone has seen these but I found them the other day (apparently also on XBox Live). They are low budget online comics as a prequel to the story. Although pretty lo-fi, they are very good (at least they were post-pub:D) Check them out and see what you think:

WARNING. Although 2D hand drawn comics they are quite violent, and there is some bad language in one or two of the episodes so NSFW.

Parts 1-> 4 on destructoid

Parts 5->6 on Destructoid

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

:D I can't FREAKING WAIT TO GET MY COPY!!!

I was like this with System Shock -- mentioned 10 billion times now.

For over 2 weeks I did nothing but play this game. I cut off all of my friends and only wanted to play it.

The only other game that had me to this point was Dune 2.

What are the difficulty settings on this game?

DO the monster pop in from no where, or does it make sense? The way I see it, is that there's 1000 crew members, so besides spawns, there should only be that many fiends.

11. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Easy, Normal, Hard. I'm playing normal and have died a few times only about an hour into the game - but im not a very good gamer.

Monsters pop up, come through doors, and most often, jump out of vents. There isn't a constant flow of them though, you remember the battles you have. Much of the game is exploration and puzzles as far as I can tell thus far.

Thanks!

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Cool! I went out and bought a Belkin speedpad just for this game.

13. dubs macrumors member

I would have to agree with everything you guys have said, from having no HUD and having it be a hologram is so immersive. It's crazy, I've even been attacked while looking at my inventory and thinking I killed all the enemies. I've just finished chapter 5 of 12, and put about 5 and a half hours into the game.

Also, I would have to say that dying is one of the coolest things about this game, I know it sounds weird for this type of game, but every time my character has died it's awesome. The different enemies and the upgradable weapons, abilities and suits really add some depth. I've really enjoyed this game so far, and had my fair share of "Oh, Sh*t!" moments as well as jumping a few times. The last thing I would say is that the story is getting pretty interesting at the point I'm at, which I wasn't really expecting.

Who'd have thought an original, well written game would come from EA? I would definitely recommend this game, sure it's only single player, but you unlock another difficulty mode when you beat it, and that will definitely be a challenge.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Anybody cypher the alien language as yet?....I've seen it written in a lot of places.

Warning to 360/PS3 players.....don't use the free suit until your second playthrough......you won't be able to change the suit back to the original.

Bless

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

DAM YOU ALL!!! I need to avoid this thread, but I can't!! It's tooo tempting.

I've been avoiding reading beyond the first lines of any post, because I'm afraid I'll catch a spoiler. I'm just jealous, since I'm playing the waiting game, while you guys play the game. :)

16. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

picked it up yesterday. amazing game, its shocking since its a ea game.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This game is in fact scary....the atmosphere in this game is so thick you can cut the thing. Every corner I turn I have my "tool" ready and waiting...its crazy. I'm only on chapter 3 and I've jumped several times. The text logs and the written logs put this game with the best of the survival horror big boys.

Well played EA, well played....now if Mirror's Edge lives up to it I will forget the Army of Two blunder.

Bless

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

FREAKING GREAT! :D

Two more days. :( I'm not getting this from Amazon anymore, I'm going to pick it up locally and just pay CA tax and retail price.

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I stopped at a 2 GameStops last night, in hopes they would have an early shipment. They're having that Fable midnight thing, so I was hoping to get DS at that time. Blah, why was Fable in, but not DS? :(

Only a few more hours.. :eek: :eek:

20. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I finally broke down and bought a PS3 for Blu-Ray and this game. I am still a beginner at using the control pad so I selected "Easy". Chapter 1 was not too bad but it does get rougher in Chapter #2 when it appears the monsters jump from above the side and almost always behind you. So normally I go in panic mode and hit everything (Inventory, Map, etc) but the fire button. Still though I am about halfway thru #2. Thank goodness for the save areas along with the Store. When dying I use the "X" button and do a lot of button massing. Does the 6-Axis work here and is it used in conjunction with getting a monster off my back? By the way the "Zero_Gravity Jump" was particularly frustrating. But got thru it. Overall I am enjoying DS a lot. Have also ordered Bio-Shock and the wife who surprised me out of the blue wanted and ordered "Guitar Hero 3" (Both will be there when I get home tonight!). So no telling where this is going!:D

Bill.....:apple:

21. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Ahhh, pickin up Bioshock on it's PS3 launch day. Great game, you'll enjoy it a lot.

22. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Because of this thread, I ordered the game this morning. Cant wait to play it.

my girlfriend heard about it last week from some her work colleagues. She reckons she wont be scared, so told her I only going to play it when she around. By sounds of it, I reckon she'll end up letting out at least one lil scream:D

Bring it on!!!!!

23. Macjames macrumors 6502a

No i cant either. They seem to be on the verge of releasing good games!

First they saved the battlefield franchise from the 'medal of honor syndrome' (basically rehashing the same old but with less production values and a two hour life span) by releasing bad company, which i dismissed as a one off.

but then there is this game. Although what they did to the system shock series i will never forgive them for, if it was not for the spiritual successor bioshock then the style of gameplay would have been lost forever.

Then there's what seems to be the most beautiful game i have seen in a while, Mirrors Edge (Please EA don't mess this up). Which looks like a game way outsides ea's comfort zone.

Also even Left for dead looks ok.

I don't know what happened at EA maybe they woke up but i might have to start changing my firmly routed opinions on the company. I may even start to like them provided they don't mess up Mirrors edge.

24. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Hmm i had the xbox 360 version and had mixed feelings, to me it took me back to 1999 and the system shock 2 release mainly because if you swapped the under water city to a space ship you'd have the same game (well nearly), hell even the atlas plot twist is lifted from system shock 2's story.

To me it was the same game just updated (i know they passed it off as a spiritual successor) but i had hoped they would keep the style (the great visuals, the powers, the hypos and vending machines, the hacking, the ghosts and personnel recordings and the whole radio thing) but at least try to differ the story more than they did.

Overall though it was a great game and i enjoyed it a lot.

25. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

BioShock... Blah. :/

Finally, I got my copy of DS. :)