Dealbreaker: Xtrafinder not in 10.9...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Lolito, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

I was so used to Xtrafinder, by far the best finder ever in OSx, with features like tab browsing on top, with a chrome tab bar layout, middle click opening and closing, folders on top, colured side bar, double tab opening in Parallel, POSSIBILITY OF MOVING FILES, not copy, paste and delete...

Does anyone knows if it would be possible to write a new xtrafinder for the new finder? otherwise i will be sticking to ML... pity. Wondering why apple never gets it perfect, they always give you just a tiny bit of improvements, which is not good for pro users... SHAME!!!!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would say your best bet is contact the developer of Xtrafinder and ask him (or her). Apple just released beta 2, and it hasn't even been a month, developers need more time to work on their apps. If you're not sure though reach out them and ask if they're planning on making it Mavericks compatible.

3. Lolito thread starter macrumors 6502

Lolito

I did already, I´m now waiting for their e-mail and twitter reply... let's see.

Anyways, I think the new finder has been re-written, to add the tabs and specially the tags... Therefore I'm guessing it won't happen anytime soon, but I hope to be wrong. I cross my fingers.

Anybody else tried Xtrafinder already? Just to share this frustation feeling, hehehehe...

----------

ther alternative is Totalfinder, which I purchased long ago but switched to Xtrafinder after, as it was better, mainly due to coloured sidebar and middle clik feature. Total finder developer seems more stablished, so maybe they do it... will see... Any thoughts?

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. Unbunch your panties and suppress your angst until:

1.) 10.9 is actually released and...
    2.) Developers release fixed apps for 10.9

5. Msan macrumors newbie

6. Lolito thread starter macrumors 6502

Lolito

Last time i used pathfinder it was a big crap. Maybe now is better, I till have a look. Thanks. Is it already working with 10.9? does it have middle click and tabs features?

7. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I'm sure one of the various Finder enhancement utilities will be updated for Mavericks eventually. I paid for TotalFinder, and I run it under ML, but I haven't even bothered to try it under Mavericks. With the Finder tabs built-in under 10.9, the only thing I find myself really missing is the "Cut" functionality in the Finder. I'm sure that I will eventually be able to use TotalFinder or some other utility to bring me "Cut" under Mavericks.

8. Lukeit macrumors regular

TOTALLY AGREE! Xtrafinder was the best finder I have ever used and too bad it is still broken in Mav.... let's wait and see... hopefully!

9. Galaxas0 macrumors regular

a. Finder now has tabs, which match the other System app tab style.
    b. You can manually modify the sidebar icons for color if you really want to. They're in CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources.
    c. To MOVE a file, use ALT+Drag/Drop. This moves it, rather than copies it. It's a system standard that ALT performs the "alternate" action, in Finder's case, a straight move.
    d. To open multiple tabs in parallel, right click multiple files together and the context menu should let you open each in its own tab. (I think; Safari does this.)
    e. Please define "folders on top" and "middle click opening/closing"?

----------

Your best alternative is to use ALT-Drag/Drop, which is a move operation...

10. Lolito thread starter macrumors 6502

Lolito

thanks for your answer.

A.- There are tab panels, and then, there are tab panels. Tab panels should be on top, like in firefox or in chrome, not like in the new finder, where they are in between and optically and tracking with pointing device becomes quite ackward.

b.- good, but i´m no programmer and i don't like playing wth the terminal, unless i get a straight walk through.

c.- thanks for this, did not know it.

d.- that's not what i need, i need tabs to be opened one next to the other. opened both at the same time.

e.- folders on top is ordering content with all folders on top by name, and then all files after, by name, not all mixed up like in 10.9. Middle click is doing click with the wheel to open content in a new tab, or to close tab. Have you ever tried firefox with tabmixplus addon? that is what i would call a good tab browsing implementation.

developer of xtrafinder told me by twitter that he would do it. let's see, he gave no more details just yet.

11. Galaxas0 macrumors regular

Wow, quite a lot of stuff I should go try out! :)

12. 3282868 macrumors 603

I've known about the color alt's for Finder sidebar since 10.7, but how does one activate them manually?

Just checked, they are no longer there. Might be in Frameworks.

13. hunt2013 macrumors regular

Select file. Command + C

Go to new location

Command + Option + V = Cut and move to new location

14. Lolito thread starter macrumors 6502

Lolito

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!! I'm now transfering 10.9 to the ssd. Should fly, according to people comments. Looking forward to check if this is really the new snow leopard... 11minutes to finish restoring...

15. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Thanks! I knew about Option-drag/drop, but I didn't realize that it worked with the Cmd+V too. :)

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

LOL, I actually thought you were kidding. Sorry man. I thought by now everyone (that cares about Cut N Paste) knew that OS X had it. It's been available since Lion 10.7. :)

17. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I had a 13-year Mac hiatus, jumping straight from Mac OS 9.1 to 10.8. I generally know my way around at a low level, but the odd feature obviously has slipped past me. :p

Now if I can just stop being distracted by Mavericks and get some app work done this weekend. :)

18. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

You went ahead and installed Mavericks? :rolleyes:

19. 3282868 macrumors 603

You do realize Apple sends out Apple Seed invites to consumers, they want consumer feedback on bug reporting just as much as helping developers with transitioning. No need to get uppity. :)

20. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

you expect a developer to magically come out with an updated app for an OS which is 20-days old and not even final?
    you're talking about an app that integrates into existing MacOSX finder and not a standalone application.

your expectations are way too high.

21. Lolito thread starter macrumors 6502

Lolito

my expectations are standard, cause these apps worked perfectly when ML appered in DP from day 1. Problem now is that finder has been reworked. Still totalfinder latest version just works, but with not even one of the features... weird.

22. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Your expectations are not normal. They're spoiled and entitled. You don't know your way around the command line. No way you're a developer. You're using a dev preview that you aren't supposed to be using and expecting Apple to not break any third party software that they neither support nor have any hand in creating. Your ignorance is understandable, but your arrogant entitlement is astounding.

You are exactly the reason Apple doesn't open software like this to the general public. You have no idea what you're talking about but feel perfectly comfortable whining anyway. Go back to Mountain Lion, and wait your turn. No one owes you anything.

23. Lolito thread starter macrumors 6502

Lolito

sure, sure...

Thing is apple finder is still way worse than a third party app. you wnat to blame me? good, go for it...

24. Meyvn macrumors 6502

"Thing is," Xtrafinder is not an app. It's a mod (and a free one at that, making your temper tantrum here that much more unreasonable) that makes a few UI changes to Finder, a large and complex app that was, in fact, created by Apple. Had you been raving about the wonders of Path Finder rather than denigrating it in the very same thread perhaps your statement wouldn't be yet another demonstration of your ignorance. Though it would, of course, still be an obvious deflection from your brattiness.

And no; we understand perfectly well how design and development work, what to expect, and whom to blame when things go wrong, or when people design apps that aren't to our taste (as well as what to do about it, which is to either file a radar or send consumer feedback).

If you'd actually wanted to discuss the topic of (what you see as) the Finder's inadequacies reasonably rather than advertise your ignorance and entitlement, you could have easily done so. Alas; instead, you made a whining thread in the wrong forum wildly demanding incredibly unreasonable things, despite having no idea what on earth you're talking about. And then you implied you couldn't read, to boot, by responding to my post with a non sequitur.

25. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

So not only you're spoiled, you're also arrogant. What's wrong with Apple reworking the Finder app? The app is theirs. Go back to 10.8 if you hate it so much, instead of whining about how a plugin you like doesn't work on a beta OS that is intended for developers.