Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
They're definitely too expensive (the materials quality contributes) but I got a pair and used them through the summer for the top tier noise cancelling, and they helped tremendously to retain my sanity in the face of a window unit air conditioner right in front of my desk. And also, they do sound fantastic.

Reactions: orbital~debris

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I think in time, if you use the case, you will find it to be practical, convenient, and perfectly suited to it’s task. I love my case, it just works. I also like the minimalist design (despite the mockery online), it’s beautiful.
Totally agree, though I can't say I love the case because it will always look dorky to me (they should have called it a "wrap" instead, and co-opted all the criticism). It's not a travel case. It's something easy to slip them in that keeps the pads in pristine condition and helps with battery. If I fly with these, I'm getting a hard shell case.

cmetsker19

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
If defective you should probably ship them to Apple and ask them for a refund. If it’s just a fit issue for your head (which I don’t understand as these are the most adjustable headphones I’ve used) you could probably resell them for a small profit.
Going to just dispute the charge. I'm deploying soon and can't be bothered to run errands for Amazon. Going to probably try the Airpods Pro. and check to make sure I can return them in case I don't like them ;)

Reactions: SFjohn

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Going to just dispute the charge. I'm deploying soon and can't be bothered to run errands for Amazon. Going to probably try the Airpods Pro. and check to make sure I can return them in case I don't like them ;)
The AirPods Pros are end of life & will be updated probably early next year, just saying…

bparzonz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
They're flooded on used retail markets for around 300-350. I got mine for 330 after tax. Purchased from a guy off of FBMP - he's had them since May, which means AppleCare is still in effect til next year.

That seemed like the sweet spot for me. These are really solid 300 headphones.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Just got the sky blue for 395 Amazon warehouse. Packaging is damaged, hence the discount.. I don’t care. They finally hit my price point.

Harvey Zoltan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2018
Brisbane
I really can’t believe the hate these headphones generate. I love mine but realise they are probably a bit of a niche product. By the way we never seem to get deals like this on Apple products here in Australia.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I really can’t believe the hate these headphones generate. I love mine but realise they are probably a bit of a niche product. By the way we never seem to get deals like this on Apple products here in Australia.

I would say it’s because in the same price range you have various alternatives that are perhaps better cross platform functionality. These headphones got a rather mixed reception when they were released from what I remember.

Reactions: Razorpit

Harvey Zoltan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2018
Brisbane
I would say it’s because in the same price range you have various alternatives that are perhaps better cross platform functionality. These headphones got a rather mixed reception when they were released from what I remember.
OK, fair enough, but you don’t have to buy them. People go on like Apple is forcibly extracting the money from their bank accounts.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
OK, fair enough, but you don’t have to buy them. People go on like Apple is forcibly extracting the money from their bank accounts.

I don’t think anybody is saying people are forced to buy them. There also isn’t a clause that says if you don’t rate a particular product, you are not allowed to share your opinion on its performance or price. We are all here because we buy Apple products, but it doesn’t mean we like every Apple product though.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
How do these compare to the Bose QuiteComfort?

Worlds apart. The Bose QC45 etc are plastic headphones that are best compared against the likes of the Sony WH-1000XM4. Those are both great quality and very reliable headphones, but not in the same league as the aluminium AirPods Max. You only need to pick up the AirPods Max and try them on to feel that they're a significant step up in terms of build quality and materials.

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Apparently they sometimes just stop charging for seemingly no reason, meaning once the battery is dead they’re paperweights.
Very strange, I definitely have not experienced anything like this (thankfully)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Apple is not in the business of serving unprofitable customers. Get a similar pair on Amazon for 40 bucks.

Or buy a similarly priced pair to the Apple ones with better support across multiple platforms. If Apple are going to be arrogant towards people who want to use these headphones with more devices than just Apple branded ones, then that’s fine, they lose the customer. There are an abundance of very good headphones in the market in this price bracket already.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I have no problem paying the Apple tax but even I balked at $549. I finally grabbed some at Best But for $400 (open box), and at that price they are a fair deal. No USB-C or off button sucks, but the case is awful.

bobmepp

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
I think they are worth about $350, due to the great build quality and comfort. I listened for the first time today for about 1/2 hour at my local Apple store. I was impressed with the sound, but, they're still bluetooth, with all of the lower bitrate drawbacks thereof. I did discover that, using the $35 Lightning to 3.5mm audio jack sold by apple, they can be listened to wired, plugged into a Mac headphone jack. I'm assuming this will also work with the little white lightning or usb c to 3.5mm dongle plugged into an iPhone or iPad. I'm glad Apple has provided a "backdoor" method of listening to the AirPods Max in wired mode, so that lossless listening seems to be at least theoretically possible with them, of course assuming that the headphone jack is receiving minimally a compressed lossless feed, if not uncompressed. By the way, the staff at my Apple store advised that the purchase price includes perpetual free battery service, although this sounds almost too good to be true. This at least partially justifies the high price, if true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.