MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today we're tracking the first $50 discount on Apple's AirPods Max headphones. You can get the Sky Blue AirPods Max for $499.00 on Amazon, B&H Photo, and Adorama, down from $549.00. Sky Blue is the only color at this price.

airpods-max-reaons-3.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Adorama. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Over the past few months, the best straight cash discount on the AirPods Max was about $30 on Amazon. Today's sale is the first time a major Apple reseller has knocked down the price of the AirPods Max to below $500, so if you are still shopping for a Sky Blue version of the AirPods Max, this is definitely the best sale around.

We track sales for every model of the AirPods in our Best AirPods Deals guide, so be sure to bookmark that page while you shop around for the wireless headphones.

Update: Amazon is now also offering the Silver AirPods Max at $499.00.

Article Link: Deals: AirPods Max Hit $499.00 for the First Time ($50 Off) [Updated]

Last edited:

smuzzy

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2019
I can't use these for production. I can't walk down a city street without fear of these getting snatched. I wouldn't wear these in a conference call. And I can't work out with these. Therefore, I consider them purely travel headphones. Once they are in range of travel headphone prices, which max out at about $350 , then I will consider.

RFolk

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
USA
nope, too heavy for any serious listener . First 10 minutes is heaven , they do sound amazing, but then it will act like a neck muscle builder device. Also, and this might be unclear for many, but due to the used materials, they do not age well.

smaffei

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
If you want to listen to Dolby Atmos Apple Music, there are cheaper alternatives like Beats Studio 3 or Beats Solo Pro available at Amazon for significant discounts. Sure, they aren't as great as AirPods Max. But, they are more than good enough at 30%-50% of the retail price of AirPods Max.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
nope, too heavy for any serious listener . First 10 minutes is heaven , they do sound amazing, but then it will act like a neck muscle builder device. Also, and this might be unclear for many, but due to the used materials, they do not age well.
That could be a Fitness+ show!

• Haha
Reactions: RFolk

GMShadow

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2021
I got mine for about $460 since they were open box. I think the $450 range is a better one for them. Once the tension wore in (they are definitely tight at first) I ended up pretty much replacing my APPros and my MDR-V6s with the Max.

BTDUBS

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Austin
Other than spatial audio and sound quality that is a bit better, I don't see why these are $200 more than the Sony XM4s. I mean my XM3s are light, comfortable, well made, sound great, and have fantastic noise cancelling. Heavy cans work well for home listening, but are cumbersome for some people.

I get that people try to compare $30 headphones to these though and that is like comparing a Honda Civic to a BMW M3.

coachgq

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Today, for $500 you could buy 3.9 shares of AAPL and turn it into profit or you could waste money on a used material non-aging-well device that can't even play Apple Lossless.
But can I wear those 3 shares? Can I listen to content through them? Sometimes it’s not about $ or profit. It’s about usability. Do I need a house? No, i can buy 20,000 shares of Apple and use them as blankets and a roof.

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
One simple question:

Does it support Apple Lossless playback? At least basic format @44Khz 16bit.

I have a pair of ears that are superior than average and would not tolerate lossy music

AAP8

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Cleveland, OH
One simple question:

Does it support Apple Lossless playback? At least basic format @44Khz 16bit.

I have a pair of ears that are superior than average and would not tolerate lossy music
No - you need wired headphones for that, its a limitation of bluetooth, and will require a new generation of bluetooth or some other wireless tech to solve the bandwidth limitations of the wireless connections used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.