Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is continuing to discount Apple's Magic Keyboard for the 11-inch iPad Pro at $199.00, down from $299.00. This remains the lowest price that we've ever tracked for this Magic Keyboard, which can also be used with the fourth generation iPad Air.

magic-keyboard-sale-feature-blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This deal on the Magic Keyboard first appeared earlier in 2021, and it's been one of the most consistent deals on this accessory. The Magic Keyboard provides a full keyboard with a trackpad, backlit keys, and a new floating cantilever design that lets you adjust the iPad Pro to find the best viewing angle.

There currently aren't any notable deals on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro Magic Keyboard. For even more iPad deals, head to our full Best Deals guide for iPad. In that guide we track the best discounts online for iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro.

Article Link: Deals: Get Apple's 11-Inch iPad Pro Magic Keyboard for $199 ($100 Off, Lowest Price)

PaladinGuy

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
I am experimenting with one this week. I will say that the keyboard is MASSIVELY more pleasurable to use than the butterfly keyboard on my 2019 MPB. I also am finding that I get a lot more use out of my iPad Pro with the keyboard.

I think my biggest two complaints are that the material picks up dust and oil extremely easily. I am also worried about the long-term durability after looking at reviews. Lastly, The second complaint has more to do with the design of the iPad. The camera desperately needs to be moved to the landscape position. You can’t really use it on the Magic Keyboard without it looking super awkward. More and more people are using the iPad in landscape mode, not portrait. Not sure if they can make the Apple Pencil 2 charge at a different location.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
This has always been such a strange, over-engineered, overpriced peripheral. IMHO they had already perfected the Smart Keyboard with the 'origami' style foldable keyboard of the 10.5" iPad Pro, which also allowed for more angles. The price was slightly steep but reasonable.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
...The camera desperately needs to be moved to the landscape position. You can’t really use it on the Magic Keyboard without it looking super awkward. More and more people are using the iPad in landscape mode, not portrait...
I've owned an iPad of some flavor since the iPad 1. I have always used it heavily over other computing devices in my personal use. In all those years, I only unlock orientation from landscape to use Facetime.. because of the camera being in the wrong spot. In fact, I've never even seen people using portrait. It has never been the logical orientation.

philrock

Contributor
Jul 5, 2015
Oxnard, CA
I am experimenting with one this week. I will say that the keyboard is MASSIVELY more pleasurable to use than the butterfly keyboard on my 2019 MPB. I also am finding that I get a lot more use out of my iPad Pro with the keyboard.

I think my biggest two complaints are that the material picks up dust and oil extremely easily. I am also worried about the long-term durability after looking at reviews. Lastly, The second complaint has more to do with the design of the iPad. The camera desperately needs to be moved to the landscape position. You can’t really use it on the Magic Keyboard without it looking super awkward. More and more people are using the iPad in landscape mode, not portrait. Not sure if they can make the Apple Pencil 2 charge at a different location.
I think I'm going to pick one up as well. I hardly use my iPad as is so if I have to spend $200 to improve functionality I'm all for it. My hope with the keyboard is that I can use it in many instances when I would normally gravitate to my laptop.
The camera is my hugest hesitancy lol. I want to use it for Teams, Webex and Zoom...
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reactions: jpsalazar

jonen

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
Every time I've thought about buying this in the past few months, it's been at $199. Ended up buying a non-keyboard case for my new iPad Air and haven't looked back. I still use my laptop for anything cumbersome on a tablet, so $200+ for keyboard functionality is just overkill for me.

ikramerica

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2009
I've owned an iPad of some flavor since the iPad 1. I have always used it heavily over other computing devices in my personal use. In all those years, I only unlock orientation from landscape to use Facetime.. because of the camera being in the wrong spot. In fact, I've never even seen people using portrait. It has never been the logical orientation.
Only use portrait on apps that force it (mostly merchants who can't be bothered with having two orientations in their design).

Reactions: pdoherty

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I use it in portrait often as I read docs, newspapers, PDFs, books etc.

Reactions: ericwn and kltmom

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Portrait is very nice for reading as it fits a page better. Also it’s easier for typing while walking or standing. I agree that it’s time for the camera to be landscape though

Reactions: ericwn

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
I have tried iPad keyboards from other brands such as Brydge. It's interesting for a while but it becomes frustrating over time— not because a keyboard isn't useful, but due to the limitations of iPadOS. I find myself wanting to do laptop-related tasks that iPadOS can't handle. There are no fully featured code editors for the iPad that can build, compile, and deploy apps for example.

I prefer the iPad to be just an iPad, not a laptop wannabe.

I barely use my iPad Pro 11, so spending $200 on a keyboard is pointless.

I have a home specializing in lost and neglected iPads. 😁

wegster

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
It’s about to become incompatible with the upcoming 11 inch or equivalent iPad Pro

Well, I hope not, but completely plausible.

Ironically, I did go in at the full price on the 12.9" IPP keyboard when it came out, as it was my attempt to see if I could actually use an iPad as more than a consumption device. Wasn't happy with the price at all, but wanted the touchpad, etc. Also somewhat amusingly, I bought myself a 3rd-gen iPad Pro 12.9", while I wound up buying my wife a 4th gen 11" iPad Pro at the start of the COVID shutdown as a teacher, and I figured it and a Pencil could help with the early chaos of online teaching (it did).

I just bought her an open-box MK for her 11" - I think it too was at $199, couldn't find much at a lower cost.

The MK has it's quirks - for one, it desperately needs to flex more to allow setting it e.g. on a bed for watching movies/video at night without falling over, and it would have been nice to have a real ESC key. There are a few other annoyances, but most are within iPadOS, e.g. CMD-Q not functioning, although CMD-TAB and other macOS key combos generally work.

Someone mentioned it picking up oils and/or dirt - yeah, it does. It's not terrible, but also not great. Realized the other night there was a bunch of 'oil' around some keys and the lower case, which a slightly damp microfiber took care of, but just looked at the back, and it needs a cleaning as well...

KB quality/feel is actually pretty good. It's nothing like my UHK with blue switches, but that's no surprise, and it feels much better to me vs my wife's MB Air butterfly, although not quite the same as my 2019 MBP. All in all - keyboard feel is decent, functionality is decent, but entirely depends on your usage - if it's mostly as a 'stand,' well - that's a lot of $ for that!

It does make a nice stand for Sidecar mode - I sit it under my 38" LG UW, and use it for task management or occasional markup with the Pencil as part of my 38" + open MBP (sigh - with the Radeon high power/heat issue) + sidecar IPP and it's an overall nice setup.

It does NOT do much, if anything, in the way of protection. Somehow I've managed to get a chip near the corner of my screen - I suppose it's my fault for not adding a glass screen protector, but at least it's a chip and not a crack.

It's a pretty nice device IF you are trying to use your iPad/Pro for more than consumption. I use it often for work and personal email responses, have used it for work ticketing systems like ADS, Jira, Confluence, Salesforce and others, and the keyboard is much nicer for typing more than a short sentence IMO.

randolorian

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2011
Damn, I wish I could have bought mine at this price so that I wouldn't have mixed feelings about it. I think it would be absolutely worth it at $200, but I have a bit of buyer's remorse at $300.

Reactions: Deliro and Madmic23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.