Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michvuee

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
But unlike this one, which can also run Windows, those “better laptops” can’t also run macOS. So they’re not better.
Better specs, no doubt. But I need macOS, and I prefer being able to dual-boot into win10 also. So “better laptop” is in the eye of the beholder.

You can put macOS on laptops that run Windows BTW. Also you can triple boot Linux, Windows, and macOS on some of not all laptops. No point in overpriced/under speced MacBook if you did quick google searches(I personally now people who sold their MacBook to buy a better speced laptop and install macOS on it). LinusTechTips literally made a tutorial on how to run macOS on ANY PC which also applies to Windows laptops. Imagine having better specs with macOS, So your point will be invalid as you can run macOS on Windows laptops. If it was still $2000 msrp you could get a Razer Blade with an 9th gen i7, RTX 2060, 512gb ssd, 16GB RAM, and a 144hz panel with macOS which is a no brainer!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marekul

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
You can put macOS on laptops that run Windows BTW. Also you can triple boot Linux, Windows, and macOS on some of not all laptops. No point in overpriced/under speced MacBook if you did quick google searches(I personally now people who sold their MacBook to buy a better speced laptop and install macOS on it). LinusTechTips literally made a tutorial on how to run macOS on ANY PC which also applies to Windows laptops. Imagine having better specs with macOS, So your point will be invalid as you can run macOS on Windows laptops. If it was still $2000 msrp you could get a Razer Blade with an 9th gen i7, RTX 2060, 512gb ssd, 16GB RAM, and a 144hz panel with macOS which is a no brainer!
I’m quite aware of the hackintosh community. I deliberately didn’t include the case where people are willing to steal the OS; of course that makes the system build cheaper.

It’ll be even less expensive if you steal the hardware as well, so maybe you can have a completely free system. Of course, it could be more difficult not to get caught if you try that, but everyone makes their own choices in life...

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I have a feeling if the price was originally this, these things would fly off the shelves.
[doublepost=1556174510][/doublepost]
I’m quite aware of the hackintosh community. I deliberately didn’t include the case where people are willing to steal the OS; of course that makes the system build cheaper.

It’ll be even less expensive if you steal the hardware as well, so maybe you can have a completely free system. Of course, it could be more difficult not to get caught if you try that, but everyone makes their own choices in life...
I like you.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Apple and its retailers are doing interesting experiments with pricing. It looks as if they're trying to gauge the elasticity of the various product lines. That's good, because it might signal a permanent drop in prices down the road.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
I have this model. The touch bar is nice, but the fingerprint reader is the best thing about it.

No problems with keyboard. Awesome machine.

Chapman8tor

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
I just switched from using a Mac for the past 4 years to Windows 10 on a PC. Apple's quality control and the price they're demanding for their products were enough of a one-two punch to turn me away. Next year, I turn in my iPhone XS for something else if this trend continues. By the way, most people can get by with a $300 Chromebook and be perfectly happy.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Wow, I paid € 2500 (2800 USD) for the same model but 16GB RAM last year (including Apple Care). Hardest price drop ever in Apple history.
[doublepost=1556205791][/doublepost]
Any deals to be found on a 13 inch with 16gb ram and 512gb ssd?
I have the 16GB and quite frankly, I barely ever hit 10GB Memory on Activity Monitor, even with 3 different browsers open and several tabs on each, Pixelmator Pro, Microsoft Office, and Final Cut Pro X.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Wow, I paid € 2500 (2800 USD) for the same model but 16GB RAM last year (including Apple Care). Hardest price drop ever in Apple history.
I have the 16GB and quite frankly, I barely ever hit 10GB Memory on Activity Monitor, even with 3 different browsers open and several tabs on each, Pixelmator Pro, Microsoft Office, and Final Cut Pro X.

Try to learn something of it, if You want!

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Still WAY OVERPRICED, for a disposable, non-upgradeable/un-repairable, appliance.

Anything over $1000 is ridiculous for a machine with 8GB RAM with no ability to upgrade it. Plus SSD prices are dropping through the floor.

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
For the first year. Then the repair is quite expensive.

yeah, sheesh. Talk about short-sighted. I've had my laptop since 2013 and I'd hate to have to keep bringing it back for keyboard repairs. Been out of warranty a LONG time.

I always purchase AppleCare for my devices. Apple will likely extend repair services for 2018 models as they did with 2015-2017. And I'm within walking distance from an Apple Store.

I understand if the value is not there for you. But your experience and feelings aren't everyone's.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
3 years with first model and fine for me. Have not had issues here.
Not willing to roll the dice on that, myself. And also even a correctly-fuctioning butterfly keyboard is effing god awful to type on.

Sad, really. The new MacBooks seem very nice otherwise -- and the bluetooth Magic Keyboard has decent key feel so I don't get why Apple couldn't have put that into a laptop. Oh well. My MacBook Air soldiers on...

Reactions: saytheenay

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I just switched from using a Mac for the past 4 years to Windows 10 on a PC. Apple's quality control and the price they're demanding for their products were enough of a one-two punch to turn me away. Next year, I turn in my iPhone XS for something else if this trend continues. By the way, most people can get by with a $300 Chromebook and be perfectly happy.
I’m sure you’d be just as happy with a $100 Android phone as you would be with a $300 Chromebook. Seems like a smart move.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
jeyf:
most peeps email and surf so anything would work
but
you need a keyboard that works so

NO

AngerDanger:
I’ve often thought MacRumors needed more slam poetry.

well put; the slam poetry, but i put up with the MBP zombie keyboard for a year:
-apple initially wanted to repair it for $700+
-the only reason apple did any warranty work is because of legal action / class action
-apple fans no longer bring their MB's to work because peeps make fun of them

high priced product and not even mediocre performance
sorry

Last edited:

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
so was this an error or people really love the 2018 model?

Certain models go fast. I picked up a Vega 20 2018 from the Apple refurb store. I dithered for a few days before pulling the trigger. I'm glad that I hopped off the fence when I did because had I waited another day, I'd have lost out. That was a month ago. I still haven't seen that model back in stock in the refurb store.
[doublepost=1556296483][/doublepost]
I’ve given it time. Even had a 2016 that was fine. Stop acting like it’s a sure thing when it definitely isn’t

I recently upgraded to a 2018 MBP and sold my 2016 MBP on eBay. The MR hand wringing marathon really had me worried that I wouldn't be able to sell it at any respectable price. Not so. It not only sold, but it sold quickly. It was still under AppleCare and fixed up by Apple before I sold it so it was low risk under any conditions, but all this pessimism and negativity did affect my outlook even if I had thought that most of the talkers were either over reacting or didn't actually have any first hand experience with what they were criticizing 24/7.

Reactions: Ghost31

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I recently upgraded to a 2018 MBP and sold my 2016 MBP on eBay. The MR hand wringing marathon really had me worried that I wouldn't be able to sell it at any respectable price. Not so. It not only sold, but it sold quickly. It was still under AppleCare and fixed up by Apple before I sold it so it was low risk under any conditions, but all this pessimism and negativity did affect my outlook even if I had thought that most of the talkers were either over reacting or didn't actually have any first hand experience with what they were criticizing 24/7.

The 2016 has the repair program going for it, people are going to be more likely to buy a used 2016/17 for that reason.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
That's good, because it might signal a permanent drop in prices down the road.

Probably not a permanent pricing drop, but this and other steep (but brief) markdowns that some retailers have been giving seems to indicate that Apple's become much more relaxed about enforcing the MSRP on their products. If they forbid Best Buy from conducting this sale, they could just refuse to restock them.
[doublepost=1556297650][/doublepost]
The 2016 has the repair program going for it, people are going to be more likely to buy a used 2016/17 for that reason.

There are a lot more components in a laptop besides a keyboard. Honestly, the keyboard is the least of what I worry about. Hand me a laptop with a 100% non operable keyboard and I still have a computer I can use. Hand me one without a working logic board and I have brick.

Reactions: Ghost31

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Apple and its retailers are doing interesting experiments with pricing. It looks as if they're trying to gauge the elasticity of the various product lines. That's good, because it might signal a permanent drop in prices down the road.

It's meaningless. This Amazon deal isn't Apple selling laptops. And probably isn't authorized vendors selling laptops. It's grey market devices from who knows where.

Is there anyone in the thread who's bought one and taken the serial number back to Apple and found out the actual warranty remaining?

Reactions: Marekul

Tmoser

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2019
It's meaningless. This Amazon deal isn't Apple selling laptops. And probably isn't authorized vendors selling laptops. It's grey market devices from who knows where.

Is there anyone in the thread who's bought one and taken the serial number back to Apple and found out the actual warranty remaining?

I purchased a 15” MacBook Pro from Amazon about a month ago, and when I fired it up it was already showing 19 cycles on the battery. Yet it was sold as new and came in packaging that looked new. I immediately returned it and was fully reimbursed. Will never buy any Apple product from Amazon again.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
$500 off isn’t enough to offset the time, money and frustration you will spend fixing the trash keyboard
Also it comes with 8GB ram soldered to the motherboard. Same with the 512gb ssd. This thing should cost 600-900$ max - apple tax included.
[doublepost=1556352936][/doublepost]

Wich is 2GB more than 8GB. 8GB is just ridiculous for a supposed premium brand.
[doublepost=1556353113][/doublepost]
Don’t worry they will have the same repair program for 2018/2019. will be communicated a s alte as possible for obvious reasons...

Reactions: travelsheep
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.