Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcans

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Please make a Macbook Pro entirely for HIGH-QUALITY GAMING.

What would you guys in the forums want in a MBP MADE ENTIRELY FOR GAMING??

Last edited:

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
Small market for that no? I mean of course games are HUGE. But consoles I mean. Until the drivers for Macs get better, it's not going to happen.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Please make a Macbook Pro entirely for HIGH-QUALITY GAMING.

What would you guys in the forums want in a MBP MADE ENTIRELY FOR GAMING??

Top of the line mobile video cards and a better heat dissipation system.

R

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If I want a gaming rig, I'll build myself a PC for half as much, maybe even hackintosh it. Seems like a better solution, as the market is very small.

Harker

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
How bad is a top of the range MBP for gaming anyway? Is it so unsuitable as it is?

I play (new) games on my year-old low-end MBP without issues, but I'm not fussy over graphics.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
What about boot camp or vmware, dont they run windows(which means you can play pc games on a mac)

Dear APPLE: Please, for the love of the Mac, never, ever, ever make a MBP for gaming.

1) Not enough market for this product
2) All Gaming Laptops are ugly due to the cooling requirements. The MacBook Pro is far too sleek to fit an ugly load of gaming junk in it
3) Nobody will buy it just to run windows on it. Its a Mac, thus its meant for OS X. Not just as a standard PC. If you want one for that go ahead, but Apple should never devalue its OS by offering a machine meant to run Windows.

gcans

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Dear APPLE: Please, for the love of the Mac, never, ever, ever make a MBP for gaming.

2) All Gaming Laptops are ugly due to the cooling requirements. The MacBook Pro is far too sleek to fit an ugly load of gaming junk in it
3) Nobody will buy it just to run windows on it. Its a Mac, thus its meant for OS X. Not just as a standard PC. If you want one for that go ahead, but Apple should never devalue its OS by offering a machine meant to run Windows.

You've got a good point.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011

I think everything is correct except for #1... plus, I would say that as Mac's become more popular, gaming will become more important.

This started happening when Apple finally released the more powerful CPUs and GPUs.

R

superericla

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Instead of making a MacBook Pro for gaming I suggest that Apple simply updates their graphics drivers. That's all that's really needed.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Buy a console...far more cost effective. I never understood the love for PC gaming...i mean i get it but i just think...why? You're gonna be stuck in an endless upgrade cycle and you'll never REALLY be able to play all games unconditionally unless you remain agile in that cycle which is expensive and then there's being held to ransom by drivers/OS support etc

Finally notebooks/portable computers are arguably the worst candidates for gaming, combining the two concepts is borderline illogical. Most decent gaming laptops are in actuality workstations/desktop replacements...so why not just get the desktop and be done with it.

Last edited:

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Apple does have gaming machines:

iPad

iPod Touch

iPhone

At least that was my take away from the commercials.

Most of those games lack depth

Anyways, the current MBPs game extremely well
Just don't try to run everything on max

upbraid

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
get alienware if you want portable gaming. good luck with crappy hinges and non-existent support though lol

edifyingGerbil

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Most of those games lack depth

Anyways, the current MBPs game extremely well
Just don't try to run everything on max

I run Dragon Age II on my Mac with all settings on high and AA x4 and it plays beautifully. I play GTA SA on bootcamp and that, too, plays very well on all high settings although redwoods seem to make it lag briefly, which is odd...

but hey ho, it's still a great gaming machine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.