Dear Steve: RE: Missed Call/Text Alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Apr 1, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Hi Steve. I need a favor. I am new to the IPhone, having recently purchased an IPhone 4. My previous Blackberrys and Droids had missed call/text alerts. You must know that many, many people really want this feature. I have a deal for you:

I promise that I won't complain about the battery going down a little when this program runs in the background. I also am not going to ever jailbreak my phone to get this capability. Please help us. Thanks.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I am sure many have said that sincethe first iphone four years ago...jailbreak csuse steve aint listening

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

That's your loss, jailbreaking is awesome.

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

What is wrong with the notification badges for number of unread missed calls & texts?

5. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I agree. That is why I no longer update to the newest firmware until a JB is out

6. iPhoners.org macrumors newbie

iPhoners.org

Fully agree, jb makes your iPhone more... even more than Steve's phone himself :rolleyes:

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im sure Steve is jailbroken too ;)

8. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

The only reason I even considered a JB was to get global ringtones on my 3G3GS/now 4. ToneFXs was it for me. Then, of course, I began to play with the entire GUI, but still, the only way to get full functionality is to JB. Otherwise, you should just stick with your old Nokia or RAZR.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The Big Apple can't hear you dude LOL

Just jailbreak.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You've come to the wrong forums.

We can't do anything to help but read about your whining...which is something all too common around here

Jailbreak

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

12. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

While everyone here is singing the virtues of jailbreaking, I'm curious about another thing.

What makes the OP think that Steve Jobs actually comes to MR to read the forums? Does he feel this personal letter will get recognition from Steve and thus the issue the OP has will be resolved to his satisfaction?

If so, lets all write letter to Steve about just what we want. I'm sure they'll jump right on that. :D

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Am I missing something or do I just have a magical iPhone? My phone alerts me when I have missed calls or texts.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You're in a shower and don't hear a call. You come out, lay on the bed and start reading a book.

How does your iPhone, sitting on a table, alert you about the missed call?

Hint: other phones have repeated lights or sounds or vibrations to let the owner know they should check their phone. The lack of such automatic alerts is a source of one of the most common complaints about the iPhone.

15. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

You can have it alert you twice, thrice, five, or even 10 times at 2 minute intervals, that you have a text message.

Settings/Messages/ Play Alert Tone

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

+1

Your loss then.

17. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

You still have the badges and pop up. I don't really care for a repeating alert that tells me I've missed a call. I mean I am constantly turning my phone on to check things that a missed call really doesn't go a long time without be noticed.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1. The iPhone notifies you, it just doesn't have external lights to flash. Badges and notifications work just fine.

19. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Why not go back to Android if it bothers you that much?

Honestly, I just don't get all the complaints about the notifications and pop ups - you can customise most of them to exactly how you want them.

I check my phone all the time for many "none phone" things (Facebook etc) so I know if I've missed anything, texts alertS me twice and I use hullo mail for visual voice mail which also alerts me.

I had the HTC Desire for about a month and hated the notifications on there, also the stupid light to inform you that you'd missed something was so small that I often missed it

iPhone 4 is the best phone I've ever had, sure its not perfect but I most likely won't move away again (unless Apple do something insane!)

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Notifications are iOS's weakest area IMO. Who the hell thought a pop up that stop what you're watching/playing was a good thing?

21. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

Web OS and Blackberry OS have the best notification system imho!

22. james92se macrumors 6502a

I guess I don't get it. But this is kind of silly. I, like others - who are seemingly in the minority, just don't understand why this is such a big deal.

You know how I know whether or not I have missed calls? I check and see.

Similarly, you know how I check to see if the mail has come? Well I open my mailbox and see. I don't complain that my mailman didn't spray paint "you have mail" all over my mailbox to "alert" me.

One of the reasons I like the iPhone is because it's clean. I don't want a bunch of tacky lights adorning my phone or whatever it is that you guys are desiring in terms of the phone alerting you.

What if you come out of the shower and don't see the phone "alert" light or don't hear the (likely annoying) tone/vibrating alerts that you have a missed call?

I guess in that case we'll need an app for the phone to literally tap us on the shoulder and let us know :p

23. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

I have a feeling with iOS 5 these features will come.. What else can Apple really offer in a new OS that isn't already in 4.3.1? I do appreciate the new way the phone vibrates when a text is received and right before it rings for a call.

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Steve Jobs is not a part of this forum :eek: ;) :cool: (AFAIK)

and why in your OP is your post a reply?

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I haven't had a phone that makes a noise after x amount of time saying that I got a missed call. It just either said on the screen that I had a missed call, or the indicator was blinking. If you have the phone in your pocket, you'd have to take it out to see the light (or screen). With the iPhone, same thing, except you press the home button. :confused: