Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Post-apocalyptic open world action game Death Stranding is today officially available on iPhones, iPads, and Macs powered by Apple silicon.

Death-Stranding.jpg

Previously released on PlayStation 5 (2021) and PC (2022), the Director's Cut version for Mac was announced by legendary game creator Hideo Kojima at WWDC 2023 to showcase the potential gaming performance of Apple silicon. Apple subsequently teased an iPhone 15 Pro version at its "Wonderlust" iPhone event in September.

Gamers take on the role of Sam Bridges (played by Norman Reedus of The Walking Dead fame) as a courier tasked with delivering supplies to isolated colonies and reconnecting them via wireless network following a cataclysmic event known as the Death Stranding. Unfortunately for everyone, the event opens a doorway between the living and the dead, leading to grotesque creatures from the afterlife roaming a ravaged and desolate world.

MacRumors sister site TouchArcade has an updating review of the game, which supports iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max devices, as well as Macs running one of Apple's M-series chips.

Death Stranding Director's Cut is currently listed in the App Store at the promotional price of $19.99 (normal price $39.99). Note that this is a universal purchase giving players the iPhone 15 Pro, iPadOS, and macOS versions in a single purchase as well as support for cross-device progress syncing.

Article Link: Death Stranding Director's Cut Now Available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Last edited:

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Will be interesting to see the reviews. I get the feeling the "AAA gaming on the iPhone" is just there to drum up headlines. What I've seen of RE Village and RE4 on the iPhone 15 Pro doesn't look good in terms of frame rate and frame times...

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
It would be nice if all the reviewers of the actually-iterative S24 Ultra would touch upon software parity and how top-end Android Phones cannot natively play PS5 games.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Great game. Obviously it won’t run that great, because even the GPU of a maxed out M3 Max is far from being as fast as a PS5-GPU (and you can get a PS5 with 825 GB of SSD for less than apple charges for 1 TB of a slighly faster SSD alone). Still, it’s the game that counts, not the graphics. If it runs smoothly on a Macbook Air, it’s a win for Mac gaming.

Last edited:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Watched the trailer. I'm not a gamer, but when I see trailers like this it looks lke all the other dystopian, dark games that seem to be on the market.

I like games to be fun, not depressing looking. Life is enough of that.

Remember Nanosaur and Bugdom? Some color and fun.

I know Apple Arcade has lighter games. Sneaky Sasquatch was pretty good. I never got into any of their other games, though.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Great game. Obviously it won’t run that great, because even the GPU of a maxed out M3 Max is far from being as fast as a PS5-GPU (and you can get a PS5 with 825 GB of SSD for less than apple charges for 1 TB of a slighly faster SSD alone). Still, it’s the game that counts, not the graphics. If it runs smoothly on a Macbook Air, it’s a win for Mac gaming.
Is that really true? When I look up some benchmarks on CPU monkey for example I see M3 Max beating the PS5 in every aspect, not all benchmarks are available on both platforms so only compare the ones with data available.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
There's a lot of comments on this site about how Apple should partner with Steam if they really want to boost Mac gaming, but it's pretty clear that this is an example of the strategy Apple would rather pursue - putting the games in their own app store and enabling universal purchases across their platforms rather than partnering with a third party service like Steam. (And given Apple's track record this should not be surprising).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
gaming on touch screens isn't for me. maybe it'd be worth playing on Mac with a controller but the game isn't all that great. it's an overrated walking sim.

I feel like if you are serious about gaming on your mobile device, you need one of those controller attachments.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Post-apocalyptic open world action game Death Stranding is today officially available on iPhones, iPads, and Macs powered by Apple silicon.

Death-Stranding.jpg

Previously released on PlayStation 5 (2021) and PC (2022), the Director's Cut version for Mac was announced by legendary game creator Hideo Kojima at WWDC 2023 to showcase the potential gaming performance of Apple silicon. Apple subsequently teased an iPhone 15 Pro version at its "Wonderlust" iPhone event in September.

Gamers take on the role of Sam Bridges (played by Norman Reedus of The Walking Dead fame) as a courier tasked with delivering supplies to isolated colonies and reconnecting them via wireless network following a cataclysmic event known as the Death Stranding. Unfortunately for everyone, the event opens a doorway between the living and the dead, leading to grotesque creatures from the afterlife roaming a ravaged and desolate world.

MacRumors sister site TouchArcade has an updating review of the game, which supports iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max devices, as well as Macs running one of Apple's M-series chips.

Death Stranding Director's Cut is currently listed in the App Store at the promotional price of $19.99 (normal price $39.99). Note that this is a universal purchase giving players the iPhone 15 Pro, iPadOS, and macOS versions in a single purchase as well as support for cross-device progress syncing.

Article Link: Death Stranding Director's Cut Now Available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
Well, I am downloading this - the universal (Mac/iPhone/iPad) model is something I like. The price is attractive as I am not one for computer gaming at all–maybe backgammon when I have some time to kill. Mainly though, I want to see what it looks like on an M1 Mini 16GB and then watch comments about how it runs (if at all LOL) so I build some perspective on Apple's move into game friendliness. 77GB of Mac mini M1 friendliness LOL.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
This game as seemed interesting to me but I'm just not sure. The mechanics seem kinda boring. I think I'll still pick it up but it's probably worth the sale on my PS5 instead of the full price for macOS.

Anyone really enjoy this game and want to offer some insight?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
This game as seemed interesting to me but I'm just not sure. The mechanics seem kinda boring. I think I'll still pick it up but it's probably worth the sale on my PS5 instead of the full price for macOS.

Anyone really enjoy this game and want to offer some insight?
storyline was mysterious enough for me to push through, but after beating it, you are stuck with maintaining your highway network and wrapping up side quests, by that I mean you basically become a glorified fedex driver deliverying goods between each locations. if you like logistic games this might be your cut of tea.

Extau

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
For some reason it doesn’t work on my MacBook Pro MAX on M2 chip with 96GB RAM, when I click “open” or from spotlight I only get the icon on my dock panel and nothing else, apart from Game Center notification. Anyone else having this?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I don’t see anything about a demo. I would like to try it just to see how it runs. That’s probably why there’s not a demo. Even in their WWDC video, you could see screen tearing and rendering latency.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I don’t see anything about a demo. I would like to try it just to see how it runs. That’s probably why there’s not a demo. Even in their WWDC video, you could see screen tearing and rendering latency.
It runs very well on Macs you can check Andrew Tsai and MrMacRight YouTube channel

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It runs very well on Macs you can check Andrew Tsai and MrMacRight YouTube channel

Well sure but I want to see how it runs on my Mac. I guess I could try to find a video with my exact model but one must admit a demo would be better.

Quick edit: Just checked out both those channels and neither has a review on the hardware I have yet. Tsai is just live-streaming on a presumably much higher end computer, and MrMacRight has only reviewed phone and iPad so far it seems.

Extau

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
For some reason it doesn’t work on my MacBook Pro MAX on M2 chip with 96GB RAM, when I click “open” or from spotlight I only get an kicon on my dock panel and nothing else, apart from Game Center notification. Anyone else having this?
Does it have to be ran on M3? It doesn’t seem to work on my M2 with 96 ram for some reasons, it simply doesn’t want to launch, which is sad because I pre-ordered last year and even had a reminder twice because of the release date change :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.