Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Have you been exposed to visible light on a daily basis? Have they been microwaving your brains? Come on Apple fanboys and fangirls, we need to be educated if were are to be elitist above the rest.

No. I live in a tent with no visible light. The iPhone would be the first form of it and I'm freaking out (typing this in the dark... yes, it's hard, no need to ask me about it...).

I'm also pretty sure there's a chance it will microwave my brains. It might not be a good chance, but is that a risk you're willing to take?

IS IT???

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
No. I live in a tent with no visible light. The iPhone would be the first form of it and I'm freaking out (typing this in the dark... yes, it's hard, no need to ask me about it...).

I'm also pretty sure there's a chance it will microwave my brains. It might not be a good chance, but is that a risk you're willing to take?

IS IT???

Good one ;)
I encourage you to do some research on the dangers of IR and wavelengths of visible light. I think you'll find that microwaves and brains have nothing to do with them.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I can tell you something. When I got my S8, I tried iris scan and could feel physical discomfort on my retina from it.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I've been debating off and on about getting the iPhone X. Finally made up my mind. Thank you Apple for making it easy!

I won't be "giving in" to the inferior tech and increased inconvenience with the lack of Touch-ID. Or be a part of case study of how people use Face-ID or be one of those who make it seem it's perfectly normal to use Big Brother Facial Rec for casual everyday use on your phone.

$999 Price does sting.. but that was not a dealbreaker. They failed to convince about the Safety of the tech.

- Having the IR and Dot Projector radiation pulsed at your eyes.. ~80 times a day on average. Where's long term safety studies on this? What spectrum/wavelengths are those waves? Where's the white-paper on those the TrueDepth sensors and long term safety studies?
- Having to constantly stare / actively gaze at your phone, then swipe up to unlock it. ~80 TIMES A DAY!
- Having to resort to using 6 digit Passcode after paying a hefty price.. No way for $999
Spend your $999 on a tinfoil hat. Your nonsense is ridiculous.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Good one ;)
I encourage you to do some research on the dangers of IR and wavelengths of visible light. I think you'll find that microwaves and brains have nothing to do with them.

But can you say with 100% certainty that there's no chance the unreleased and untested iPhone X will microwave my brains. What with all it's fancy doo-dads and whirly-gidgets?

I didn't think so.

So it's safe to assume that since there's a chance it will MICROWAVE YOUR BRAINS, Apple is taking a huge risk in releasing (unleashing?) it to the general public???

Maybe that's the cause for the delay? Maybe it was cooking people's brains?!?!

I'll still buy a lot of them, of course, but yikes!

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
I have 2 problems with face-id ...

Only being able to store 1 face (the wife and I need to have access to each other's phones).

Awkwardness while driving ... yeah, I know, I shouldn't be using my phone while driving. But until Apple makes a setting like "don't sleep/lock when charging" then I still need an easy way to wakeup/open my phone while driving (for song selection, GPS, phone calls, etc.). A finger is easy, but having to position my face to unlock my phone ... an accident waiting to happen.

Just my 2¢

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I have 2 problems with face-id ...

Only being able to store 1 face (the wife and I need to have access to each other's phones).

Awkwardness while driving ... yeah, I know, I shouldn't be using my phone while driving. But until Apple makes a setting like "don't sleep/lock when charging" then I still need an easy way to wakeup/open my phone while driving (for song selection, GPS, phone calls, etc.). A finger is easy, but having to position my face to unlock my phone ... an accident waiting to happen.

Just my 2¢

Your wife can use your passcode.

And putting aside the preachy bit about telling you that you're endangering your life and others by using your phone while driving, If it works as Apple says it does, it's not like you have to hold it directly in front of your face. Theoretically, if you can see the display well enough to select a song or use the GPS, it can see your face well enough to unlock.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I've been debating off and on about getting the iPhone X. Finally made up my mind. Thank you Apple for making it easy!

I won't be "giving in" to the inferior tech and increased inconvenience with the lack of Touch-ID. Or be a part of case study of how people use Face-ID or be one of those who make it seem it's perfectly normal to use Big Brother Facial Rec for casual everyday use on your phone.

$999 Price does sting.. but that was not a dealbreaker. They failed to convince about the Safety of the tech.

- Having the IR and Dot Projector radiation pulsed at your eyes.. ~80 times a day on average. Where's long term safety studies on this? What spectrum/wavelengths are those waves? Where's the white-paper on those the TrueDepth sensors and long term safety studies?
- Having to constantly stare / actively gaze at your phone, then swipe up to unlock it. ~80 TIMES A DAY!
- Having to resort to using 6 digit Passcode after paying a hefty price.. No way for $999
Can you close your eyes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.