Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 2018 Macbook Pro KP'd with the Bridge OS error since 10.4.2 GM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
OK here we go again!

Some links. If you are not sure what this references please don't comment or ask. Refer to:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...w-bridge-os-error-poll.2144620/#post-26728279

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bridge-os-error.2128976/page-97#post-26713103

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/26/apple-looking-into-t2-kernel-panic-reports/

November Poll: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-pro-bridge-os-kp-poll.2151092/#post-26786866

**POLL**

Please review the options carefully. I changed this poll so that you can change your answer should you think you weren't getting a KP but it took some more time.

REGARDING VOTING - IF YOU VOTED IN PREVIOUS POLLS PLEASE ALSO VOTE IN THIS POLL!

You are allowed to change your vote should your situation change.

bobdob

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Just to help folks out - you need to look in system preferences now to find the update, not the Mac app store.

Reactions: KDLM

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Um @fullauto you have already experienced a crash on a 2018 MBP in the 10 hours since the 10.14.2 update has been released? Just checking!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Where is it stated that the 10.14.2 update has any potential "fix" for the T2 chip issues?

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I had. In the first five hours after upgraded.
Wow ok. How long have you had your machine?
[doublepost=1544112348][/doublepost]
Where is it stated that the 10.14.2 update has any potential "fix" for the T2 chip issues?
They’re constantly updating the Bridge OS version. Some people’s problems have been quietly resolved in this manner while others are outstanding. At each OS release we can expect undocumented changes and fixes to be present as is Apple’s MO.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Wow ok. How long have you had your machine?
[doublepost=1544112348][/doublepost]
They’re constantly updating the Bridge OS version. Some people’s problems have been quietly resolved in this manner while others are outstanding. At each OS release we can expect undocumented changes and fixes to be present as is Apple’s MO.
Apple told me that since the bridge os error is generated with regard to any and all things related to anything to do with the T2 chip, that it is hard to get a consistent result from the error reports. That said, who knows what, if anything, is being done along the lines of this issue. It is not being reported widespread, so it is hard to say.

I haven't had a panic since updating to the beta line of 10.14.2 a few days back but it is too early to say since I have turned off most T2 functions and my panics are only on startup and infrequent. I have a senior level Apple case working on this with logs and reports etc, but I don't really expect anything out of it. At least they stopped asking for the default, clean install test on this issue.

Last edited:

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
Got the i9/VEGA 20 a week ago, managed to crash it on the same day :( returned it the next one. Not sure if this is "yes and has before" or"yes and never did before", chose the former.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Got the i9/VEGA 20 a week ago, managed to crash it on the same day :( returned it the next one. Not sure if this is "yes and has before" or"yes and never did before", chose the former.
Your MBP was a custom order, right? So you shipped it back to them, or took it to an Apple Store to return it? Are you ordering another. I got the i7 with the Vega 20 about 12 days ago and am having the problem. I've ordered another one, and will return the first one if the second one is (or seems to be) problem free.

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
Your MBP was a custom order, right? So you shipped it back to them, or took it to an Apple Store to return it? Are you ordering another. I got the i7 with the Vega 20 about 12 days ago and am having the problem. I've ordered another one, and will return the first one if the second one is (or seems to be) problem free.

No, it's a i9/VEGA/32/1TB that is available in all stores (more or less). I might downgrade to an i7, it seems to be a better model. Or get a Surface book 2 15" (I have a 13" now), still considering

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Nope, and never did. Custom ordered in August 2018, i7 2.2 Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM, and 1 TB. T2 firmware is 16P2542 and the boot ROM is 220.230.16.0.0 and iBridge is 16.16.2542.0.0,0. I have no clue what that previous versions were on 10.14.1 and what the laptop originally came with.

pttai

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
May I ask for a reason why would you guys turn off these T2 features? Aren't they the reason why this laptop is way more expensive than the others on the market? Why did not you guys ask for another laptop or a refund?
My apologies if my question sounds rude. I do not intend to ask in such that way.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
May I ask for a reason why would you guys turn off these T2 features? Aren't they the reason why this laptop is way more expensive than the others on the market? Why did not you guys ask for another laptop or a refund?
My apologies if my question sounds rude. I do not intend to ask in such that way.
Finding myself in this situation, I realize it is a difficult decision. I’ve got my MacBook Pro, I’ve set it all up, I’ve even put a skin on it. Now I find it’s malfunctioning. I can exchange it, but will the new one be any better? It is a tremendous pain in the neck. I’m wasting all kinds of time and stress on this because it is a major purchase. If I knew the next one would be good, exchanging it would be a no-brainer. I can totally see why some people just keep the broken ones. For them, turning off the T2 chip may make it easier to live with. Also, my MacBook Pro was custom ordered, so getting another one is a big hassle. Ultimately I decided to order another one. Of course, I could use the new one for days and have nothing go wrong, get everything set up on it, and then the problems could start occurring. It’s a disgrace that Apple put these machines out knowing that the T2 chip was already problematic.

Reactions: Never mind

mastercrane

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2018
my apologies but how do you check/confirm if a MBP had any KP’s?

just got a 2018 13” i7, 16gb RAM, 1TB MBP on black friday.

no issues so far, i think?

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego

I don’t think there is any set way to check. My first error occurred the first day when I was downloading an app from the App Store. Some people can get an error to happen by shooting video with Photo Booth for about two hours. Many people seem to say that you need to have some sort of peripheral device attached to one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports for a panic to happen. Many of the KPs seem to occur while the MacBook is sleeping. It will spontaneously restart. So, leave your MacBook on overnight and see if there is an error message in the morning. Have some sort of peripheral plugged into one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports (hey hard drive, a monitor, dark, etc.). If you get an error, please report it in these forums so we will know.

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010

You can check all of your crash logs at ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ You should be able to spot any that are specific to a BridgeOS crash.

The easiest way to access the Library folder is mouse over the "Go" top menu option of Finder while holding down the Option key.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I was told to try the new update by the engineers as they saw I was on the beta line. I get the feeling they think this may be addressed at least partially in 10.14.2. Too early to tell if it really helped or not but we'll see. (might just be wishful thinking)

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I was told to try the new update by the engineers as they saw I was on the beta line. I get the feeling they think this may be addressed at least partially in 10.14.2. Too early to tell if it really helped or not but we'll see. (might just be wishful thinking)
... still KP free after the 10.14.2 upgrade. Fingers crossed.
were they frequent?

jbg95

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
... still KP free after the 10.14.2 upgrade. Fingers crossed.
I had my fingers crossed, too. I installed 10.14.2 on 12/5, had been fine but just how had a situation where network died, spinning ball on the network menu bar, a few minutes later system fan went on high for a second and the system shut down. This has happened several times (I've had the laptop about a month). Upon reboot crash report "bug type 210"...I haven't had time to dig into the specific error. Total of 11 similar crashes in the past month, once a day at most frequent. Unfortunately I rely heavily on this laptop and have very limited time to troubleshoot right now. Wish the update had fixed the issue. Just retracted my optimistic vote in the poll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.