Decision Time: Buy NOW or Wait 1 more week?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rmwebs, Jul 6, 2010.

  1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #1
    I'm about to buy a Mac Pro but am not sure if I should hold off until next Tuesday to see if the update happens. I really don't want to wait indefinitely for an update that may not be coming at all.

    I just got my nice new Samsung 24" screens arrive about half hour ago so am really, really wanting to get the Pro now!

    I can either buy it now, or wait 1 week. However from what I've seen on here, people are expecting the new pro to have slower processors? I'm looking at the 8-core machine so am not sure how that affects it.

    What would you do/recommend?

    Cheers,

    Rick
     
  2. Vylen macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2010
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #2
    Wait 1 more week...

    What's 1 week.. heh.

    Even if the new pro has slower processors or whatever, you'll still be able to buy an 09 Mac Pro since there will be stock still around.
     
  3. seisend macrumors 6502a

    seisend

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    Location:
    Switzerland, ZG
    #3
    If the new Mac Pro is not released by next Tuesday you can ask yourself again to wait one more week. Head or tail ?
     
  4. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #4
    Yeah thats the problem - dont really want to hang around waiting for something that may never be released :/
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    Something will get released, maybe not just this week, or next week.

    Usually I say if you need one now, buy one now, but we do seem to be on the cusp of an update and the MacPros are so freakin expensive you want the opportunity to buy one with the latest hardware.

    Apple's done this before, and it seems they're focusing more on iToys then computers to the point where computer updates are getting less and less.
     
  6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

    AdeFowler

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2004
    Location:
    England
  7. iZac macrumors 68000

    iZac

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2003
    Location:
    Shanghai
    #7
    Consider that even if (god forbid) the Pro line is laid to rest and never updated, why would you pay full retail for a 16 month old machine? I'm certain your new screen is screaming out to hook up to a new Pro, but if you can't hold out for the new model, I'd recommend skimming the 2nd hand market.

    'Course, if money is no object, go wild :D
     
  8. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #8
    Buy it.

    The only change really will be 6 core BTO option, maybe a shift down in CPUs for the price (2.66 becomes 2.93, etc). And a 5870/GT240 or whatever the new GT120 is.

    Price: Won't shift by more than 5%.

    Waiting will almost certainly yield nothing (Tuesday today however!). The 2008 to 2009 increase in price for drop in performance could also happen so waiting may be a bad idea ;)
     
  9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #9
    When do you really need one? Buy it when you really need to, playing the waiting game could bite you in the ass one day.
     
  10. Sin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Not London
    #10
    I'm in the "wait" camp - however I'm not doing so out of some vague belief that Apple are about to release something much better/cheaper than the currently available model.

    No, I'm waiting because I'm trying to decide whether to invest even more heavily in Apple hardware/software for the stuff that I do, or cut my losses and switch some/all back to PC.

    I'd rather not do that. However right now I just don't know where Apple are going in the medium to long term. What they do with regard to the next update cycle is pretty much the only clue I have to go on in order to make a guess.

    The timing of the update, combined with what it offers (new design? more competitive pricing? new components, or just newer-than-2-years?) could say a lot about what Apple are thinking.
     
  11. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #11
    I can wait a little longer. I'm on a 2007 white iMac at the mo...maxed it out on RAM to help. Thing is I do iPhone/iPad development, and for example just had to sit here staring at the screen whilst it decided if it was going to allow me to use xcode, interface builder and firefox all at once :rolleyes:

    I've put up with it for the last 6 months so I can afford to hold out...assuming the temptation doesnt destroy my willpower :p

    I'm off on vacation in a few weeks so I think I can hold out until then, and just hope they release it whilst I'm away!
     
  12. xgman macrumors 601

    xgman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #12
    Ditto. You will kick yourself otherwise even though it sucks waiting. "another Tuesday passes"
     
  13. oilfighter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    #13
    If you need the machine, buy it now.
    I strongly believe that Mac Pro won't be updated next week, because next week is the supposed release of White iPhone 4. Apple won't want to divert any attention away from it.
     
  14. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

    DisMyMac

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    #14
    Merely asking the question shows you don't *need* it, so you should definitely wait. (Or it may show you are naive and won't miss what you don't understand... in which case you probably don't need a computer.)

    If it were an iMac then it wouldn't matter as much. The next MacPro will have major improvements.
     
  15. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #15
    My question was based on how different the new mac pro is expected to be and prices of parts. I'm not buying a pro for the sake of it. Whilst I appreciate the first part of your post, I do *need* it, but can just about cope for a few more weeks. As I stated very clearly above, I'm an iApp developer so have Xcode, Interface Builder, Photoshop, Coda, Firefox, Safari and iTunes ALL open at once...hardly something an iMac should be handling. :rolleyes:
     
  16. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #16
    Do you need a Mac Pro? You can easily get a higher spec PC for that money. Mac Pros right now ARE NOT worth it. Once the update rolls out that may be different question.

    If you really realy want one, wait, else... just get a Dual socket mobo and DIY.
     
  17. dolz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2010
    #17
    I pulled the trigger last week and ordered a used machine to replace my G5. In my case more and more of the updates for the software I use would only work on an Intel Mac. Now that Steve has pulled Bluray off the table and LP is still a ways off I have no problem skipping this update that may or may not happen in this lifetime.
     
  18. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    #18
    For pete's sake, wait if you can. As painful as it may be, just wait.

    Bravo on waiting as long as you have. Working on a 2007 machine can be difficult with all the new sexy hardware out there. :)
     
  19. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #19
    The idea of building a hackintosh has been bantered about quite often and the concensus for many, is that, its not quite worth the hassle. I for one agree, as I just finished building out an i7 930 desktop. The baby screams, and I was careful on choosing the components, still I was monkeying with kexts and trying to get SL installed.

    The OP may not want to deal with the headaches of building out a machine and continually playing with the configuration to keep it going, especially if he's using it to make money.
     
  20. brentsg macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    #20
    I had a perfectly working i7-920 hackintosh, but then had an opportunity to upgrade it to an i7-980X which of course broke everything.

    I seriously doubt that I do it again. I fall into the "not quite worth the hassle" crowd.
     
  21. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #21
    I never said build a hackintosh. I said build a PC. I know hackintoshes are very temperamental. I tend to avoid them. I either buy/build a PC or get an actual Mac. However, like I said, getting a Mac Pro is just not worth it at this point. (DRR3 1066? GT120? HD4870? GTX 285? Poor hard drive space?) At this point the Mac Pro is very pitiful for it's price. I agree it was a steal for what it offered A YEAR AGO, but now? It's highway robbery. Apple should at least drop the price.
     
  22. ValSalva macrumors 68040

    ValSalva

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Burpelson AFB
    #22
    This makes a lot of sense. If the Mac Pro is not updated on the 13th then it will most likely be a month or months. Wait until the 13th and buy whatever Mac Pro Apple is selling.
     
  23. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #23
    Cheers for all the responses guys :)

    I'll hold out as long as I can...IF we're going to see an update this month, is it always mid-month? (Or the closest Tuesday to mid-month at least).

    @jav6454: Wish it were that simple - I need X-Code plus hate using anything above Windows XP. I'm ok with a good custom Linux distro, but getting everything to play nice is too much work. I think it'll always be Macs for. Well...until Apple turn them into an iMac Touch Pro Mini with iOS :D
     
  24. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #24


    Well, if it's XCode what you need I don't blame you, but I would suggest waiting. This generation is way too overdue for a revision.
     
  25. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #25
    Hold off for another week or a month or so.

    I guess if your "loaded" just wait a week and buy it if it doesnt get refreshed.
    If what your using is good enough just connect your new monitors to that and just, wait wait wait or else you may regret it and be stuck with an old machine that really really needs an update. I know how hard it can be, personally im waiting for the iMac refresh and willing to wait a few MONTHS, feels like forever but Its going to be worth it, if there is a refresh.
     

Share This Page