Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Walt Mossberg compares the iPod with two of its major new competitors: The Dell Digital Jukebox (Dell DJ) and Samsung's Napster player.

While Mossberg still gives a small edge to the iPod, these two new players mirror the iPod's functionality in many ways. Both act as integrated players for each company's music download service. The Dell DJ integrates with the Dell Music Store (MusicMatch) while the Samsung player is Napster's official player.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
So what?

They still not have the cool factor the ipod has and they never will...I used the other hd base player from Rio and it sucks like there is no tomorrow what makes this player any different.. The ipod wins in form and function hands down
my 2¢

q1232

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
cleveland
Hopefully this pushes Apple to include some of the features into the iPod that people want; like line in, fm, ect.

withnail

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Re: So what?

Originally posted by Wash!!
The ipod wins in form and function hands down

I totally agree. I have yet to see a tolerable navigation system in one of these "iPod killers". Everything I've seen is just so slow and klunky. Does anyone know if the scroll wheel/touchpad is patented by Apple? I'm surprised that more players don't rip this off as well. And I know there are people out there who don't like them, but I think the backlighting and non-moving buttons on the 3rd Gens are awesome.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Why FM?

Originally posted by q1232
Hopefully this pushes Apple to include some of the features into the iPod that people want; like line in, fm, ect.

At least in NY where I live there not really anything worth listing on FM or AM other than the traffic reports or may be the news, ever since I got my 15gig ipod 4 month ago I haven't listen to the radio once..;)

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by q1232

Forget line in, or and FM receiver: people want a lower price! If they include a line in function and FM, it's just going to jack the price up more. I'd like to see the 10GB start at $259, the 20GB at $359, and the 40GB at $449. All of them should also come with a gift certificate for $10 at the iTunes Music Store. Now that makes sense!

:rolleyes: ;) :D

SWEET!!

Competition will bring prices down and help create a better iPod that has more integrated features and a longer battery life. This can only be seen as a good thing. Apple's had a couple of good years running before anyone's even come close. I only hope that these styleless alternatives with approximately equal function won't drive Apple into a losing rematch against standards which they refuse to adopt...

potuncle

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
Nothing beats 3G iPod controls

It looks as if both the Dell DJ or Samsung Napster have physically active controls. Wasn't the moving scrollwheel of the 1G iPod problematic? Any control that actually move is bound to both wear out and allow dirt and moisture into the enclosure.

I am the recent proud owner of a 3G iPod and would never have choosen anything other than an iPod.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Apple didn't make the user interface. Sometimes they contract out their inovation. Perhaps Dell used the same company, so they didn't really "copy" that part from Apple?

I think the Dell is more "different" than better or worse.

It's for people who want integrated voice recording and killer battery life. People who don't like attachments. I guess.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
How odd

Isn't it a bit strange that the napster site is....well....light on information? There's no ad for their portable player. There's no screenshots and info about their software. Just a big download button! I imagine some people would like to see what the product is before they do an install.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Maybe it's just me but I saw a download button with no screenshots or requirement info. Umm, I don't do those kinds of downloads.

I did look at the animations. Love the Hip Hop one, Phat Booties, the napster cat with gold chain, sparkling gold tooth, and oh yeah, a basketball.

No thanks.

Not only does the player look like crap, but the site has no class. The service has no class.

I guess all I have to say about the new Napster is "Get down on yo' knees and foshizzle on my nizzle!"

I think I'll buy a few tunes off iTMS tonight to make myself feel better.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
From the napster page at the very bottom...Sys requirements:

"PC only."

Attachments

• jerkit.gif
    jerkit.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,699

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
FM Transmitters for portable audio devices are crap. If you want to buy it as an accessory, then do what you want, but I hope that this feature is never built into the iPod. It makes me mad just thinking about it.

Can someone please tell me if these other devices can act as external drives too? And can they sync information? It seems to me that when people compare the iPod to other portable players, they forget that there's more to an iPod than just the music.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Mossberg described the Dell DJ as "handsome". I dont know about you guys, I think it's incredibly ugly and I say that without prejudice. It's gruesome

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Neither competitor is as sleek looking or as easy to use as the iPod. Neither have the reputation attached to them.

Cost is an issue, but people are willing to pay more for a better product. People often choose import vehicles that cost far more than their domestic counterparts and don't offer anymore. Why do they do this? The perception of quality and reliability is what they cherish.

mjones4th

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2003
DC
Originally posted by MorganX
Maybe it's just me but I saw a download button with no screenshots or requirement info. Umm, I don't do those kinds of downloads.

I did look at the animations. Love the Hip Hop one, Phat Booties, the napster cat with gold chain, sparkling gold tooth, and oh yeah, a basketball.

No thanks.

Not only does the player look like crap, but the site has no class. The service has no class.

I guess all I have to say about the new Napster is "Get down on yo' knees and foshizzle on my nizzle!"

I mean, can we at least be subtle? Oh I'm sorry, I left my ten pounds of ice and AK47 at home when I picked up my tie, so you probably didn't recognize my gangstaness.

wow

Cain't we awl jus hit a bong?

mitz

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by withnail
Boy, Apple sure is charitable, doing R&D for everyone...
I'd be interested to know which are the key parts of the iPod that Apple has IP on. Obviously the groovy scroll-wheel would seem to be one, but maybe much of the other stuff such as their menu setup is open to everyone ...

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
I for one would like an FM receiver on the iPod. There are many occasions while I'm walking about that I'd like to listen to the radio.

Unfortunatly, I don't think there is anyway to fit another chip inside the iPod without changes inside and out.

I would also like to see iPod prices fall, but Apple's margins on these are already relatively low compared to the other products as noted by The Wall Street Journal. So I don't see that happening without a big price drop in cost of components.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Napster 2.0 is very sorry

Is napster 2.0 even MacOSX compatible? I loaded it on my PC just to give it a fair trial. Talk about very very stupid. This thing is horrible. You give it a genre and it searches and SLOWLY gives you a list of artists, and they are not sorted in any sort of fashion. All in a cruddy HTML/browser feel. It just feels like using an HTML plugin. <BLAH> ...

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by acj
Apple didn't make the user interface. Sometimes they contract out their inovation. Perhaps Dell used the same company, so they didn't really "copy" that part from Apple?

Not true. Apple contracted out for the reference hardware (PortalPlayer) and the supply chain. But the design (wheel, packaging, integration, UI) is all Apple.

Honestly, don't you think that companies such as Toshiba, Creative, Rio, Archos, Samsung, and Dell wouldn't copy that trademark iPod design if they thought they could get away with it?

Besides, I doubt Dell would copy most of the parts from Apple. First of all, they don't need such a high quality codec because Dell's customers don't care. Second, Dell is a master of the supply chain so they can get the parts and integrate it chaper at a lower choice if they leave themselves flexibility in which parts they choose. Third, Dell would never license the reference design from PortalPlayer when they can get a Taiwanese ODM to do a design without royalties and a vague order like: "just make it like the iPod but use these parts". All of these + a strategic error in not seeing the hard drive player market probably explain why it took almost two years for Dell to come up with their knock off.

All this and cut out the retailer and what do you get? A total cost savings of $50.

Whoo hoo! I'm rich. I'm going to Disneyland!

It looks like iPod:00's :: discman:90's :: walkman:70-80's.

Take care,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.