Dell or Apple display ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Taymir, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Taymir macrumors newbie

Hi, that’s my first post here, need some help in choosing a display, here are two candidates Apple Cinema Display 23” and Dell UltraSharp 24”, Dell has better Tech Specs (contrast ratio, brightness ), more connectors and it is cheaper, Apple has a better stile, more expensive, it was released back in 2004,but it is Apple what I like the most in it :) . I would appreciate any comment . Thank you.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

the dell.

i loved the apple displays enough to get one for myself, and I still love it, but the fact still remains that all my other same or better spec displays were significantly cheaper. Imagine what you could do if you could run two slightly smaller 20" dell or anyone else's displays vs. the 1 apple display? or..buy something else with the $200 or so you'd save?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have the Dell and can only say good things 'bout it. Definitely head for the Dell. :)

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

My friend bought a 23" ACD last year and says he would never buy one again. They're sexy as hell and he already has one but every display from now on would be a more "practical" purchase.

So I would say: go dell unless you're shallow like me and still prefer ACD. ;)

5. mags631 Guest

I have a similar decision to make. I am leaning towards Apple for the following reasons:

1) Dell LCD Lottery
    2) I'm buying a MBP at the same time and the LCD will be covered by the same warranty
    3) It's beautiful and that's important to me

I have to admit I initially liked the Dell specs, especially the connector possibilities, but at the end of the day, I knew that it would only act as a display for my MBP and I didn't need, nor want all of that.

There are threads which debate Dell vs. ACD displays -- depending on your intentions.

6. Taymir thread starter macrumors newbie

Please comment. As I now Dell 24" UltraSharp 2407WFP has the next generation matrix. Thank's for all comments.

7. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

The Dell. The 24 you are looking at is a nice LCD, and I love all the inputs.

8. mags631 Guest

Google "dell lcd lottery" -- Dell uses higher quality panels early in the product release for good reviews, and then switches them out for cheaper parts.

9. andrewag macrumors 6502

The Apple display looks damn sexy and fits in with the rest of their product line.

Best bang for your buck the Apple display has some problems holding out to the Dell.

10. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

11. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

Dell.
    I love mine and never looked back!
    have it on macbook.

12. NJuul macrumors 6502

Apple uses S-IPS panels exclusively, while Dell seems to be using both S-IPS and S-PVA seemingly on random (hence the Dell lottery).
    If you don't care about what kind of panel you get, and if you can live with the looks of the Dell, then that's the monitor for you.

13. Taymir thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the difference between S-PVA and S-IPS, I am not sure if I have the right information. I was told that S-PVA is newer and better.

14. Aaon macrumors 6502

FWIW, I would throw in a suggestion of the Gateway 2485W. I just got one myself, and it is beautiful and bright. So far I am quite pleased. And, since they're sold at Best Buy and Circuit City, you can go check one out before you buy!

15. NJuul macrumors 6502

Wiki

16. bartelby macrumors Core

Has nobody suggested searching the forums before asking the age old question?

17. hircus macrumors member

This (anandtech) might be relevant. According to Wikipedia, PVA is newer than IPS, but they don't make any direct quality comparison and note that the latest evolutions of S-IPS are the ones used in professional LCDs.

18. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Well, outside of the specs posted, I guess it is just a matter of preference.
    FWIW, I used to own a 23" and 30" ACD and they were great. Since then,
    I now have a Dell 24" and it looks just as good to me. :)

19. akadmon macrumors 68010

At the risk of sounding redundant/repetitive: I have a Dell 2407 and I love it.

Now that was easy -- one more post closer to my very own personal avatar :D

20. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

That's the same one I have. I love mine too. I do think though, that I
    just might have to save up to get the Dell 30 incher - unless Apple
    shows me something at WWDC.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Why restrict yourself to two companies only? Your Mac will handle anything fine, so take whatever is the best value for the money.

22. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Get an Acer!

I have a 19 inch Acer, and it's awesome. It has beautiful color, and its very sharp.

Acer is your friend.

23. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

That explains a lot I have 2 friends who bought Dell LCD monitors (the same ones), one display is awsome, crisp image and great colour I will give Dell credit for that, the other Dell LCDCthe overall image quality is very average.

24. Taymir thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your help, after reading a lot, I decided to go for Dell 2470, it has a S-PVA matrix it is a better all around matrix, ACD has S-IPS which is better for publishing and photo work but it is rather slow and not as suitable for all around use as Dell.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Acer are most likely 6-bit, which are crap compared to the 8-bit apples and dells.