Dell Says iPad will Fail. Shows Desperation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Steviejobz, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

2. MasonH macrumors member

3. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

What larks…

At least these days Michael Dell gets someone else to put foot into mouth on his behalf.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Maybe dell should pay attention to stock market. Apple is worth over 330 billion dollars while dell is only worth 28 billion dollars. Dell sucks balls in many areas. They make junks.

5. jwesty5 macrumors member

the Dell exec is so in touch with reality that he believes you need to buy a mouse for a tablet. Not to mention the $800 or so price tag he puts on a keyboard, mouse, and case.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The iPad will fail? What great timing for such a prediction. What a tool.

7. cburton macrumors regular

That's gov't pricing!

Honestly, case + keyboard + mouse (why a mouse???) = $100 or so. Maybe those execs are used to those gold plated ones or something.

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Argh he's just as bad as their crap products.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I still say that newfangled horseless carriage thing is overpriced and will never catch on.

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

15 million people must be wrong.

11. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    Some people are just plain confused.

Almost every day you hear of a new way the IPADs are used in Business. They just ran as story on the local news how Doctors are carring IPADS around and how it is helping them with patient relations. Giving the abiltiy to show Xrays and test results at the bed side, or get updated patient information at their finger tips.

I work for a high volume Design/Manufacturing company. The Manufacturing floor is using them to watch 3D models that my department in engineering creates, to aid with the manufacturing process, and reduce learning curve, as well as needless paper on the assembly lines.

Maybe Dell is talking about real business apps like Microsoft Outlook. ;). We could all buy a Dell tablet to process e-mail and use our IPADS for REAL business work. I am not sure about any of you but I would much rather carry a heavy Dell around then a 1 pound IPAD. Saves me from going to the Gym.:D

Nice try Dell, come up and smell the roses, and look around. Most articles I have read about Dell, say Dell is the company most likely to fail, as there has been ZERO innovations from them lately and they just keep producing the same old tired hardware.

12. profets macrumors 601

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, we're all wrong. I cannot believe how wrong I was about this ****ing POS.

14. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    It occurred to me, if you consider hardware, accessories, and all the apps at the app store and the value of Dell is correct, then the IPAD as a stand alone business unit, with less than 1 year of existence, would be valued equal to or higher than Dell.

15. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Internet-based financial service

16. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

17. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

We all have to keep up our force-field of perception. Don't let a little thing like reality get in the way.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Stock analysts would look at the growth rate (which is obviously higher than Apple overall) and value IPAD higher than AAPL :D

Not joking, many years ago when PALM was worth a lot (five times more than AAPL), at some point 3COM owned 80% of PALM, but PALM was valued so high that 80% of PALM was worth more than the whole of 3COM.

19. Rafterman macrumors 68020

I think a lot of you are missing the part about failing in the "enterprise". Apple does not have s stellar record in the area of creating and supporting enterprise products. iPad is huge with mainstream personal users, but it remains to be seen if iPads will become commonplace at companies.

20. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

A sizeable number of companies are already attempting to adopt iDevices into their workstreams. The funny thing is that this adoption is being driven in part by the huge number of "mainstream personal users."

21. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I couldn't agree more. ipad Enterprise adoption is being driven from the bottom up.

IMHO, Dell only does one thing well - cheap bloatware.

22. Jack97 macrumors regular

Jack97

23. trip1ex macrumors 68000

He's got a point somewhat. ONce others start making tablets then the prices will come down.

And then Apple is going to have a choice to make.

Porsche, Mercedes and BMW aren't the world's best selling car brans. They are prestige brands.

Apple is going to have to decide which the iPad is going to be. The prestige brand or the best selling brand.

Those in business could probably dump the IPS screen for example and maybe the metal if its more expensive than plastic. Perhaps they go lower on battery life as well. And the Apple markup is probably something they could care less about.

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Dell was very successful for many years -- but still clings to the outdated strategies that made it successful in the past. The executives at Dell are unable to recognize the opportunities at hand.

Dell's niche is the inexpensive alternative to higher priced hardware. They could do the same with tablets but they need to start taking this emerging market more seriously. Their survival depends on it.