Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Delta Air Lines will upgrade all of its pilots to the cellular M1 iPad Pro, AT&T has today announced.

m1-ipad-pro-1.jpg

Following the announcement that all Delta flight attendants would receive an iPhone 12 in April, the airline has now said that all pilots will be given an M1 iPad Pro as part of their pilot electronic flight bags (EFB).

The iPad Pro will be used for a range of pre-flight management tasks and processes, where flight data and aircraft load information will be delivered directly to each pilot's EFB, which use custom-built apps. 5G connectivity, supplied by AT&T, will also be essential to how pilots use the device.

iPad Pro is extremely versatile in aviation, with its thin and light design, and bright, immersive display. The powerful new iPad Pro with 5G features the breakthrough Apple-designed M1 chip for a massive leap in performance, an all-new 12MP Ultra-Wide front camera, and advanced Liquid Retina display technologies with ultralow reflectivity for an unmatched viewing experience on the ground and in the air.

Delta follows JetBlue, which started rolling out the M1 iPad Pro to pilots last month, but the airline has been equipping its staff with iPhones and iPads since it dropped Windows devices in 2017.

Article Link: Delta Next Airline to Roll Out M1 iPad Pro to Pilots

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

nebulosan

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2021
Though some Delta employees will keep their Windows Phone OS phones, since those are the only “business grade heavy duty phones fit for certain pro business pilots that take their productivity seriously“, Delta and Microsoft said in a joint statement

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Every major airline in the US uses the iPad for charts, manuals etc and has been for years now. My airline bought the Air 3 a few years back and we're due for a refresh soon. I think an Air makes more sense than a Pro - I'd rather carry the lightest device possible for a given screen size.

iPadified

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2017
I wonder why they did not get a Mac to get a real computer and a real finder app? After all, everyone (at Macrumours) has been told repeatedly that the iPad is a TOY and not a computer for professionals/S

Note the /S

Busdrver

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Paper charts don't need batteries.

I think a few years with an iPad has made even the most hardcore airline pilot luddite a believer. Nobody wants to go back to the days of hauling charts around, doing manual updates, etc.

At my company we're also issued a HyperJuice charging brick to use as a backup, although it's optional to carry around since there are power outlets in all the flight decks.

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
Great, they can now play flight simulator without putting people's lives at risk.

joecomo

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I wonder why they did not get a Mac to get a real computer and a real finder app? After all, everyone (at Macrumours) has been told repeatedly that the iPad is a TOY and not a computer for professionals/S

Note the /S
the iPadPro is indeed a good paper replacement and that seem to be the use case her - it gets enervating the more "computerish" the tasks are. Just try to collect attachments for your Email from a couple of different sources and you'll yearn for a finder in no time.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Smart move by DL. Would be a great addition to any EFB IMO.
AT&T 5G will be the weak link. I’d imagine most will be updating on LTE for a while.

I‘m curious on the promotion of the 12mb Front Camera? FaceTime with Operations on the ramp? :oops:

coolman124

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2021
Every major airline in the US uses the iPad for charts, manuals etc and has been for years now. My airline bought the Air 3 a few years back and we're due for a refresh soon. I think an Air makes more sense than a Pro - I'd rather carry the lightest device possible for a given screen size.
the name also fits

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Certainly. Still no ”computer replacement”.
And I recall saying something about ”one app only”. The iPad is a great replacement for a binder.
Sure, it's a computer that replaced an entire paper system. But we also don't know what other apps are being installed. So I doubt it's "one app only". Probably an entire suite of apps dedicated to flight management. One thing the ipad does better than other computers of the same ilk and different operating systems.

Reactions: SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.