Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
I think the Apple Television will ship with its very own 7" iPad/remote. Ties in nicely with the rumors of an iPad mini. AirPlay and apple remote are two of the best features of owning an apple TV and an iPad or iPhone. Bundle the solution and apple will draw people into buying a TV by giving them an iPad at the same time.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
No. Chance.

Starck's style is exactly the opposite of Ive's. You almost never get two giant names from the same discipline working on a single product.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Jonny Ive seems to have run out of ideas so this might be good to see something new for a change.

You realize Apple doesn't redesign something for the sake of a redesign lately (Mac Pro). Once you get to a certain point, unless the needs change, you reach the apex of form and function. Then there's no reason to change.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Hmm... it's not even clear it's an Apple product he's talking about.
He certainly implies that, but doesn't outright say it...

This might just be a trick to generate interest for his own next product.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I think the Apple Television will ship with its very own 7" iPad/remote. Ties in nicely with the rumors of an iPad mini. AirPlay and apple remote are two of the best features of owning an apple TV and an iPad or iPhone. Bundle the solution and apple will draw people into buying a TV by giving them an iPad at the same time.

I think that's fairly plausible. Everyone assumes the tv will be controlled by existing iOS devices and I'm sure it will. But there will be people who buy this tv who don't have an iOS device or the situation may arise where you are without your phone for a period of time. So the tv will need its own dedicated remote either way. And because it's apple I doubt they will settle for a basic remote.

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Let's just hope Stark didn't have anything to do with the design of that upcoming Apple product.

He's the one who designed the Freebox Revolution for Free (the best Internet provider in France)... and this thing is ugly as a mofo:

Eeek! That thing is hidious. Lets hope Jony Ives has more input into the final design.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
No. Chance.

Starck's style is exactly the opposite of Ive's. You almost never get two giant names from the same discipline working on a single product.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

I agree. Stark designs very feminine and masculine products. Unless apple wants the next iPhone to look like a penis I call bs on this story.

You realize Apple doesn't redesign something for the sake of a redesign lately (Mac Pro). Once you get to a certain point, unless the needs change, you reach the apex of form and function. Then there's no reason to change.

Many of Apples designs are changed on technology. There are always things to be changed on a product. The only way the pro would be redisgned is if apple decided to use different parts.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Why the hype over a tv?

People in droves won't have the capital to plunk down $1500-$2000 for a tv when one could be had for much larger at the same price.

But then their marketing genius people will believe they don't need a big tv.

I guess there is little chance the apple tv will ever run apps as they hold out for their tv sets

Wow. You already know the size and price. How about giving us all the specs? You sound like an ANALyst.

crazy4apple

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
London (UK)
I don't care what it is as long as apple

does the attached

Attachments

• futurama-shutup-and-take-my-money-300x168.jpg
    futurama-shutup-and-take-my-money-300x168.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 3,298

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Holo Projector?

Maybe apple is making a holo projector for communications much like the one in star wars?
I can see apple developing something that would turn your computer into a Virtual Reality 3D environment - now that would be revolutionary!

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I have a Starck designed product. It is a Microsoft mouse that I got as a present long before I switched to Apple. I still use it as I prefer it to the Mighty Mouse that came with my iMac.

A problem with the Starck mouse is noise. The buttons and particularly the scroll wheel are very loud when used. Loud is a word Apple might be using at the moment to describe Philippe Starck for talking about working on a future Apple product.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
I'd be surprised if it isn't a watch, or watch bracelet.

Thinking a casing similar to the TikTok/LunaTik to accommodate a future iPod nano with Bluetooth. Something to take on the proliferation of smart watches hitting the market.

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
i so want apple to reinvent tv, as a tv content consumer i can only expect apple to design a great product

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I have a Starck designed product. It is a Microsoft mouse that I got as a present long before I switched to Apple. I still use it as I prefer it to the Mighty Mouse that came with my iMac.

A problem with the Starck mouse is noise. The buttons and particularly the scroll wheel are very loud when used. Loud is a word Apple might be using at the moment to describe Philippe Starck for talking about working on a future Apple product.

I think this is the main problem with Starcks designs - they may be nice, but are not very practical - which is very unJobs.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
What you can't take away from starck - He's made a very successful design company.

However in the UK there was a design reality show where the winner gets to go work for his company and well there are dozens of designers there so I don't know exactly what he has designed in the last 10 years himself - it's a design company. Some of his stuff is very nice and a lot is shocking. There is no cohesive design at all.

Also he came across as a complete arse.

colin8651

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Odd

When in the history of Apple has an employee/contractor said anything publicly about a future product release? Publically mentioning that Apple uses Bic pens is a fireable offense. Either this guy is lying to self-promote or his last day of employment was today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.