Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Yep. The point is they are both arguing against compression (which has been publicly accepted for over a decade, no changing that) but using opposing arguments to back their stance. Whether you "prefer" uncompressed material or not, the file has to come down a mediocre 3G pipe and start playing instantly and reliably on a user's device. You can't do that with 40 MB files, so that whole discussion is moot.

Makes sense now! It's just not feasible with our current cell services, I agree

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You know, you're wrong. Lossless audio is the only kind of audio thats interesting to me, when it comes to my personal collection. I tolerate other bit rates, but not for music I truly care about.

Live performances should never be listened to in anything other than lossless, or you're simply listening to a bunch of noise.

Good... you've ripped all your CDs to lossless and you enjoy them.

Most people don't. And those 15 Billion iTunes purchases and the average person's ripped CDs are not lossless either.

The iTunes Music Store or iTunes Match don't do lossless.

This is clearly not the service for you.

Moving on...

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
What Apple is doing and you did, as you said, are not new and either not patentable or the patent has expired. Apple patented putting a small piece of the beginning of each song on the user's device prior to the user requesting it, giving the impression of immediate streaming. It doesn't look like what's happening here.

Oh! Thanks for correcting me. I wasn't aware of that.

Now, there could be something really interesting happening where a device starts automatically downloading these little beginning snippets in the background as soon as you navigate to an album listing, but that hasn't been claimed. This would be similar to how the Reeder (RSS) app can preload its webview before and regardless of whether you request to see it or not. It gives a convincing feeling of instantaneous loading.

Well it could be possible. After all, we were able to see an instantaneous play in the video posted by insanely mac. [It's possible that the download speed was very high]

Also, caching = downloading. There is no "cache the beginning, then download the rest." The cache you're thinking of is just the requested buffer time to keep the download ahead of the playhead position, which can be set manually or calculated with a very fast bandwidth test.

I agree. Caching in this case = downloading. But I wanted to differentiate the two so that there was no confusion b/w the 2 different processes.

cgguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Not streaming

This is not streaming. And it will not "provide a better experience for users, especially in areas of unstable network coverage for those on the go."

You can't seek ahead in the song/video until it has downloaded the part you want to seek to. That's the primary difference.

Streaming also allows you to switch to lower bitrates if your connection degrades so the song or video will keep playing rather than rebuffering.

This is a non-story.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
CD and vinyl were proven to have the same audio fidelity, as long as they're through hi-fi speakers.

There are a lot of Vinyl loving audiophiles who would argue vehemently on that point

This is not streaming. And it will not "provide a better experience for users, especially in areas of unstable network coverage for those on the go."

You can't seek ahead in the song/video until it has downloaded the part you want to seek to. That's the primary difference.

Streaming also allows you to switch to lower bitrates if your connection degrades so the song or video will keep playing rather than rebuffering.

This is a non-story.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...

You can argue semantics all you want, but it's streaming period. The tracks are cached locally but not permanently stored and start playing before they are fully cached. You can only play the tracks with an internet connection. Sounds like streaming to me. One of the big proofs is on a Mac that is using an iTunes Match library from the cloud. When you right click on a track and click on "get info" and look at the summary tab it says:

Kind: internet audio stream
Size: stream

Last edited:

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Why do you need to use high-fidelity studio headphones when you just want to listen to some music outside (we're talking about mobile devices)? I don't get it.

You're not suffering. You're just not being catered to because you are part of a miniscule and difficult to please minority. Still, before MP3 players came along, you couldn't listen to your music anywhere besides your padded, super expensive, custom listening room with $10k speakers and tube amplifiers. Now you can listen to your music anywhere and that technology is pretty amazing. You can even listen to your lossless tracks preloaded on a mobile device with a portable amp and really good headphones and come somewhat close to that magical sound that you need to stay away from horrific suffering and pain.

But at some point, you need to realize that your needs are really hindering your appreciation of technology and life and maybe even music because you just have to have it all perfect and can't experience it in non-perfect situations (sports, driving, walking, etc). It also make you sound like an entitled... Well, have you ever thought that you can maybe trade some of that need for perfection for amazing convenience?

Stop whining.

----------

Incorrect. He had already played the song once when he did that. It was fully cached, so he could skip around the entire song.

Before PMPs were around, I carried a portable CD player around. Not my entire library, but always had a better sound quality than any MP3 players. Plugged into it was a quality $50 studio headphones. Perfectly portable and still hi-fi.

And you got it backwards. The technology is hindering my music, therefore not meeting my needs. Technology was made to help people and make life easier. Why should I conform my needs to fit the technology when it is supposed to be the other way around?

I wonder how "convenient" this service will be when you have the connection speed as slow as a snail (AT&T much?) or on an airplane.
I wonder how "convenient" this service will be when it's making an iPhone 4's battery last 5 hours.

I would refute more if I was on my laptop; using MacRumors on an iPhone is a PITA sometimes.

----------

First you stated this:

and now your companion states this:

Pick an argument.

People, don't feed the trolls.

Yes, he is correct. The difference is much more pronounced on quality speakers, as expected.
Cheap earbuds come nowhere close to lossless quality output. But that doesn't mean you can't tell the difference between iTunes and lossless on them.

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Before PMPs were around, I carried a portable CD player around. Not my entire library, but always had a better sound quality than any MP3 players. Plugged into it was a quality $50 studio headphones. Perfectly portable and still hi-fi.

And you got it backwards. The technology is hindering my music, therefore not meeting my needs. Technology was made to help people and make life easier. Why should I conform my needs to fit the technology when it is supposed to be the other way around?

I wonder how "convenient" this service will be when you have the connection speed as slow as a snail (AT&T much?) or on an airplane.
I wonder how "convenient" this service will be when it's making an iPhone 4's battery last 5 hours.

Refute more what? I'm not denying that lossless sounds better than lossy.

How was the DAC on your CD player back then? I find it hard to believe your CDs in a portable CD player and $50 headphones sounded better than ALAC files on an iPhone with $100 headphones. Oh... and hundreds of your albums instead of the few, easily scratched CDs in a bulky case.

Listen, this service just isn't for you. You're complaining about potential battery life problems while at the same time arguing that they should allow the streaming/downloading of 40MB lossless files. Do you really think Apple wouldn't do lossless everything if it could? The infrastructure to support your extremely miniscule minority needs isn't close to being there yet. Technology isn't some magic thing where you wish for things that then just happen for you. The technology coming together in this way is pretty amazing yet you complain that it's not your perfect dream of the future now. Get some perspective, appreciate what we have, and know that it will improve over time. Otherwise, start your own company and make your dream happen sooner. You'll make fortune if you can pull it off.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
why all the hate for audiophiles? people keep exaggerating their habits.

Yes, it is true: some people like using $200 earphones or more expensive headsets to listen to orchestral, classic, jazz, or other types of music at work, in their apartment, or on the airplane. They really enjoy it. Just like some people enjoy an screen with deep blacks, and can notice 720p vs 1080p, while others can't tell the difference between bluray and DVD.

I am not a true audiophile, but I recognize crap when I hear it. And most headphones and highly compressed songs are BAD. So I sympathize with people who have even better hearing than I.

Also, I don't believe at any point it was suggested that Apple is obligated to provide lossless streaming, merely that "X has no interest UNTIL they provide lossless streaming" which is just an opinion. And since bandwidth can provide lossless streaming, and people may pay for it (as a marketing gimmick or actual preference), then yes, Apple could offer it in the future. For example, iTunes does give the option to NOT downsample music.

----------

...and re: streaming vs downloading

I have always understood streaming as "playing while downloading". Whether it downloads the whole file and then deletes it, or just parts of it at a time, is of no importance to me or anyone else I think. Its really just a matter of how much it is caching.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Back to streaming vs. non-streaming.

The way I see it if iTunes called it an internet stream that's the way the engineers made it regardless of the technobabble.

This is a portion of my iTunes library. Please note some songs are already downloaded and some are not but they are called "Internet Audio Streams".

There's a reason they call them that.

Attachments

• stream4.png
    stream4.png
    244.5 KB · Views: 138

fredfnord

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Three kinds of people in the world

Speaking as someone who has done audio engineering work, both on location and in a studio, I always love listening to the audiophiles. It's endlessly amusing. I'm really looking forward to my next project, which should let me do some serious trolling.

I'll try to remember to report back on how good they are at telling the difference between two identical files with different names, solely by ear. (For example, one named 'uncompressed' or 'lossless'.)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tmelon said:
It will be stored on your device, if you want.

How would I go about storing it on my device? I'm using an iPod touch, so I rarely have WiFi and so far today I haven't been able to access any songs.

Never having wifi access with a touch is probably not the best plan.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

sennekuyl said:
It reads your mind to download it?
... Why do you go out of your way to confuse a matter?

No*, it doesn't make a distinction between downloading and streaming, local or <cloud>. If you find a song and play, it doesn't ask you if you wish to 'stream' or download like the IOS5 example.

As I understand both services (from people's statements here) the IOS5 has a 'switch' that decides whether to leave the file on the device after playing or not. The download button just makes the file non-cache. (GMB may have something similar --- I don't have either** platforms so can't test myself.)

I would argue that the IOS5 is the better solution as people (non-technical) can understand it without a visible learning curve. But they are the same damn thing.

* Based entirely on the examples in the article, people's streaming, and the Google Music Beta website. No tests nor analysis of code has been done. Just plain reading without an obvious agenda.

** No smartphone at all; yet ... ;D

----------

...back in the late 90s, Apple had 'streaming' for its videos that worked exactly this way, and everyone roundly mocked them for calling it streaming. "They're just downloading, and starting play before they finish downloading! THAT'S NOT STREAMING!"

No. As it turns out, it's better. In pretty much every way. (For everything but live streams, which are a whole different kettle of corn.)
I remember that. It was hard to understand why people had a problem with it.

Googles solution seems worse. Sometimes I might only want to stream a song so I don't have to go back later and remove it. Other times I might be listening and building my device library at the same time. Not having a choice seems worse

Last edited by a moderator:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Googles solution seems worse. Sometimes I might only want to stream a song so I don't have to go back later and remove it. Other times I might be listening and building my device library at the same time. Not having a choice seems worse

Yap, seems worse because you don't know how it works.

You have choices: you can choose songs to be available offline always and you can have them only cached

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
"but what about my 3G data cap? but what about the music quality?"

1. Streaming services are not made for people who have small 3G data caps.
2. Cloud services are not made for people who want to listen lossless music.

You can always continue to use local storage as before. Both cloud services & streaming services are additional services for people who find them useful. If they don't fit to your situation, you don't have to begin to use them. They are not meant for everybody, and nobody is forcing all people to use them instead of traditional local storage.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
This seems entirely useless to me if it doesn't support playlists or at least sequential playback/shuffle. If those points are correct then Apple is right not to call this streaming -- but it also means they had no business comparing their service to Amazon and Google's when it launched.

End users might not know understand the difference in the technologies, but they'll definitely notice when they have to constantly stop what they're doing to manually play the next song.

Last edited:

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Not sure where the airplane thing comes from... if you don't have internet, you can't use the service (obviously) and if you do on an airplane it'll be WiFi, so you're more than fine.

Anyway...

I use Pandora, Spotify, Digitally Imported, and other music streaming apps on my iPhone over 3G all the time and rarely have issues. Usually it hiccups when I'm driving 70mph on the freeway and I run into a stretch of low/no coverage, but it corrects itself as soon as it's able. Again, no internet, no service. But 3G is more than able to handle the data rates just fine (precisely because the files aren't ridiculous uncompressed versions like you keep touting).

----------

Glad it's not only me.
What is confusing you?

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Yap, seems worse because you don't know how it works.

You have choices: you can choose songs to be available offline always and you can have them only cached

So I/we was wrong about the learning curve, but I was right about it being the same thing. I do find it amusing that marksman said exactly what I said except in the negative. :roll: no bias I'm sure.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I think people are just getting confused by the meaning and implications of streaming versus downloading.

When you download something, you are downloading a stream. The difference between downloading and streaming is that when you are only streaming a file, then you are merely caching some of it locally and discard the data when you're done.

When you download a stream, it is written in its entirety to disk.

It seems that the confusion with iTunes Match is that it is simply allowing you to listen to a stream as it is downloaded, such that by the time you've listened through the song completely, the whole thing should now be stored somewhere on your device.

It would make no sense for Apple to stream-only, as most users are going to re-listen to favourite songs and albums, so it makes no sense to stream them time and again when you can just keep the whole file from the first play-through and re-play it.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
So I/we was wrong about the learning curve, but I was right about it being the same thing. I do find it amusing that marksman said exactly what I said except in the negative. :roll: no bias I'm sure.

Yap, you can mark for offline listening songs, albums, artists and playlists. They will be downloaded.

If you play a song that isn't marked for offline listening it will be cached some time.

zstar

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
I'm currently subscribed to iTunes Match. Does anyone know why when I delete a song it becomes 'greyed out' and doesn't allow me to download the 256kbps AAC from iTunes ?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Ah, but iCloud only allows me to stream stuff I own.

Nope, that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Some songs are matched, any that aren't in the apple store are uploaded so they are available to you.

Ha. It's not exactly new since Google Music does the same on Android. It downloads the songs into a cache folder (making sure it leaves available space on the device for other apps). In fact, it is even more seamless with Google Music since you don't have to tell it to download. It just downloads it if it isn't in the cache (or manually stored on the device). IMHO, the iOS solution is a tad more complicated.

More wrong info, with iCloud you don't have to tell it to download either, just hit play and it plays.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
"I wonder how "convenient" this service will be when you have the connection speed as slow as a snail (AT&T much?) or on an airplane."

Actually surveys show that while AT&T doesn't have the best coverage it does have the fastest 3G at least compared to the other major players.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I agree... in the video, he touches the song which isn't that supposed to just stream a sample of the song, like in iTunes? you can preview the song to make sure its the right track. THEN you touch the Cloud icon to download it.

Nope, what you described is what happens with iOS 4.x. With iOS 5 and iCloud, touching the song plays the full song.

If the iCloud concept is a glorified version of streaming - downloading music files on a temporary, ad-hoc basis - will this not eat up valuable data on a limited plan? In the end, what good is this service if you have to pay through the teeth with your local carrier?

A couple things - it's impractical to stream all your music over 3G, but it will be great for those times when you want a particular song that isn't on your device.

Also, people seem to forget that you can use it over wifi as well. You wouldn't use streaming in that situation but it would be great for road trips - listen to a bunch of music, next time you're in your hotel room or a coffee shop with wifi you refresh your playlists and download a bunch of new songs. Not to mention things like listening to your iTunes library at work.

I hate to say "I told you so" but...

Still waiting to hear what really happens to these iTunes Matches songs when the "Match" service is discontinued.

I hate to say I told you so, but your old post is completely wrong. The new files can be streamed OR downloaded. And the downloaded files show up in the same place as the other iTunes material on your hard drive and can be copied to other computers and played with no restrictions. No problems playing offline whatsoever, if you want songs on the device (whether it's mobile, or your mac) you hit the download button and you get the file.

This seems entirely useless to me if it doesn't support playlists or at least sequential playback/shuffle.

Well then good thing it supports both of those things. Which you'd know if you had read the thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.