Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Details of Core i7-980X (Gulftown) Mac Pro Processors Leaked

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Chinese site PCOnline.com.cn (via HardMac) leaked details about the upcoming Gulftown 6-core processor that is expected to be used in Mac Pros in early 2010. The processor has been previously referred as the Core i9, though it seems it will instead be designated an extreme (X) Core i7.

The slide confirms that the new processor will be based on a 32nm process with 6 cores and 12 threads. This means a dual configured Mac Pro will have 12 physical cores and 24 logical cores. Also revealed is that the processor will reach a frequency of 3.33GHz. This new 6-core processor should arrive by March 2010, giving a possible timeframe for the next Mac Pro refresh.

Article Link: Details of Core i7-970X (Gulftown) Mac Pro Processors Leaked

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yummy. Sounds like I need a new machine next spring! Now...let's code Aperture to take advantage of all of these fancy cores!

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
what exactly is the point of all these cores on a desktop machine with a crappy graphics card that won't be used for heavy video work?

i'll probably get an imac next year, but the way apple configures their computers is exactly the opposite of what the home builders do.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Bring the Price Down

If that Mid 2010 Mac Pro doesn't come down in price on the base config then I'll skip it and keep with my intended quad core 3.33 Mac Pro.

Having 6 cores may be wonderful for future use and with all the video encoding I do but I don't want to pay $6000 for a tower that has the performance of a $3500 PC tower.

what exactly is the point of all these cores on a desktop machine with a crappy graphics card that won't be used for heavy video work?

i'll probably get an imac next year, but the way apple configures their computers is exactly the opposite of what the home builders do.

That Mac Pro can be used for heavy video work, maybe not heavy graphics and 3D modeling work, but video yes. And compressor and some other video encoding/decoding apps are core aware apps so 6 cores would be nice but I do agree about the lack of good GFX options. We have to either pick up the decent cards or go all out with the FX Quadro.

The PCI expansion is the only reason many will spring for the Mac Pro now.

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Having 6 cores may be wonderful for future use and with all the video encoding I do but I don't want to pay $6000 for a tower that has the performance of a $3500 PC tower.

I don't want to pay $2500 for a Mac tower that has the performance of a $1000 PC tower - which is what we have today...

It can't get any worse, can it? ;)

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I've got to say it....
Let's get a revised case design please!!!!!!

I usually don't agree with these kinds of statements, especially since Apple has milked the Power Mac G5 case design for all it's worth, and it still works very VERY well.

But I will agree this time, merely because I would love to have a case design that did allow a few more customization options (i.e. 5 internal HDDs without having to take up an optical or drop it anywhere inside the case).

I am actually quite glad that Apple is finally giving us more than two FW800 ports on a pro machine. 4 is nice, I wouldn't mind 1 or two more in the back.

I don't want to pay $2500 for a Mac tower that has the performance of a $1000 PC tower - which is what we have today...

It sure can. We were complaining about the price of the $1800 G5 tower 5-6 years back, now the pro tower starts at $2500 and is bested by the $2000 iMac with hi-def screen. As Eidorian has said before, you can't look at the Mac Pro unless you are looking for 8 cores or PCI expansion. If you aren't then the iMac is actually the better buy.

Apple really needs to lower the price IMHO.

Comment

Johns12

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2008
I do audio work. Most of my programs use all cores available and the graphics card is of little concern for me. I won't be buying one because I'm happy with my early 2008 8 core, but this looks like a nice machine.

The Mac Pro case is also fine for me. My computer is in a machine room so I couldn't care less what it looks like, as long as the internal design cools well and offers good upgrade space. It would be nice if the entry level model came down in price (actually, it would be nice if they all came down in price).

Comment

Boomhowler

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008

Seriously, performance is used too sloppy nowadays..

A $1000 PC tower won't be up and running after three years of 24/7 work with the same amount of I/Os as a Xeon server.. Performance is not only the "immediate performance", but also how much you can do with a computer before it dies..

Comment

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Heat and power requirements?

My current Mac Pro, an Early 2009 2.93GHz quad-core brings the ambient temperature in my office up from 75 to 90 degrees even with AC. I'd really be interested to know the BTU output of this model and the power requirements.

Comment

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
I'm just looking forward to the day the word 'Dodeca-core' enters the common lexicon.

It worked with 'nano', didn't it? ;)

Comment

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I wish, in my field, that the Graphics industry [Software RIP Manufacturers mostly] would learn to use these Multiple Core machines. Here at work I am running Ubuntu with the KDE desktop, on a Dell PowerEdge 2900, which IMO is just as good as a 8 Core Mac Pro. However, the problem for me is that our RIP does not take advantage of these cores, it mainly only uses 100% of 1 core while the others only use about 10%.

Comment

diamond.g

macrumors 604
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
My current Mac Pro, an Early 2009 2.93GHz quad-core brings the ambient temperature in my office up from 75 to 90 degrees even with AC. I'd really be interested to know the BTU output of this model and the power requirements.

This highest TDP supported in the Mac Pro currently is 130W (as the 3.33Ghz chips are 130W TDP chips).

Your chips have a lower TDP so it is possible that the new rigs would run even hotter.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

the $1000 PC tower is desktop CPU's. the Mac Pro is server CPU's.

not much difference in performance for the average user, but it's not the same parts as an imac or your average dell

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I wish, in my field, that the Graphics industry [Software RIP Manufacturers mostly] would learn to use these Multiple Core machines. Here at work I am running Ubuntu with the KDE desktop, on a Dell PowerEdge 2900, which IMO is just as good as a 8 Core Mac Pro. However, the problem for me is that our RIP does not take advantage of these cores, it mainly only uses 100% of 1 core while the others only use about 10%.

you probably have a good graphics card. nvidia is even selling their own branded servers because people write software for the heavy calculations to be done on what most people call a graphics card but is really a super duper math CPU

in the hollywood CGI houses they buy thousands of servers to be used as rendering farms that do the heavy work

Comment

csimmons

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2002
Stuttgart, Germany
Could someone please explain...

...why a new case design for a tower computer is so important, especially regarding the Mac Pro? The design of the Mac Pro's case is extremely functional -the best in the industry- and for a machine that will probably either go into a machine room or under a desk, I honestly don't get the uproar over the Mac Pro case design.

Seriously. An iMac or a MacBook / MacBook Pro case design refresh I can totally understand, since one spends the entire time actually looking at the machine, or at least the screen. The Mac Pro is a totally different situation, though.

In the years that I owned Mac desktops (all towers, starting with the first G4 Mac; I work exclusively with portable Macs since 2006), the only time I ever looked at the case was to load / unload a CD / DVD, upgrade memory, or switch out HD's.

This obsession with the Mac Pro's looks must be a gamer / geek thing. :rolleyes:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.